Author Topic: Any way we can trade for Nurkic?  (Read 4104 times)

Re: Any way we can trade for Nurkic?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is going to end up as one of the biggest steals of the 2014 draft.  Iif Denver skipped on him, Celtics might have taken him next (though Danny usually doesn't draft international players)

Nurkic knows what to do once he gets the ball downlow.  He has really wide shoulders and is 280 pounds , which helps him get his way. On top of this, he is extremely mobile for his height. Haven't seen a guy with his body type move like that in a long time

Denver will not trade him unless they got overpaid. They prob rather trade Mozgov or Mcgee first.

The one thing Nurkic needs to work on, is his defense and putting out consistent effort. He is also not going to block alot of shots but will be able to alter them due to being a wall. 

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Considering our need for a center, we should have used some of our assets to trade up a few spots for him. Too late now.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I am curious as to whether Ainge would have taken Nuric at 17. As I've said before, Ainge has an almost nonexistent record with taking European players for whatever reason. You'd think that after a decade-plus of drafting they would have taken at least one or two since they represent good value in the later picks.

Ainge just loves the American college system I guess.

The Celtics in general just don't draft foreigners.  I remember face-palming when be passed on Tony Parker...  I'd love to see Nurkic in Celtics green as I wanted him since the pre-draft process.  However it's all about what he would cost to acquire.

Other foreign big men of note we passed on - Dieng and Gobert.
I'd rather have Nurkic than Young because of our team needs if given a choice but I think he was scooped up 1 pick before ours so I'm not sure if I'd call this a passed on player situation.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am curious as to whether Ainge would have taken Nuric at 17. As I've said before, Ainge has an almost nonexistent record with taking European players for whatever reason. You'd think that after a decade-plus of drafting they would have taken at least one or two since they represent good value in the later picks.

Ainge just loves the American college system I guess.

The Celtics in general just don't draft foreigners.

I agree.  Maybe it's Wyc who has told Danny to avoid drafting foreigners unless they are truly something.

Nurkic before signing with the Nuggets , stiffed a team in Europe, apparently where he made a handshake agreement to play for the next few seasons.  So this could of been an issue, if Danny really wanted Nurkic to play asap.

Then you have incidents like the Magic who drafted a PF from overseas 12th overall, and he never ended up coming over.  Mirotic took a while to come over

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think outside of Sully, Smart, and maybe Young and Olynyk, I'd overpay with players and picks, anything Denver would ask for him!!  Believe he'll  be that good!

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think the "Ainge doesn't like to draft foreigners" line might not be accurate.

I went back as far as the 2004 draft.

For each pick we had, I looked at all foreign players taken in the next 10 slots. These are guys Ainge plausibly "passed" on when he had the chance to take them.

I'm disregarding guys who were early 2nd round picks we couldn't plausibly have taken with an earlier 1st because of contract/buyout issues (famously, Pekovic - and also I think Asik).

Names in parentheses indicate the player we took. Names that follow are Euros we passed on.

2004 (Jefferson). Passed on: Pozdolkine, Khryapa, Monia.

2004 (Justin Reed). Passed on: Sanikizde, Seung-jin, Lishouk.

2005 (Gerald Green). Passed on: Petro, Mahinmi.

2005 (Gomes). Passed on: Hervelle, Gortat, Slokar, Ankyol.

2006 (7th pick). Passed on: Sene, Sefolosha. (Traded for pieces later used in KG trade).

2006 (Rondo). Passed on: Rodriguez, Freeland.

2007 (5th pick). Passed on: Jianlian. (Traded for Ray Allen.)

2007 (Pruitt). Passed on: Fesenko, Barak, Yue, Gasol. (Note that Gasol was more than 10 picks later...but I know people will bring him up...in which case we also passed on Seibutis, Newley and Printezis).

2008 (Giddens). Passed on: Jawai. (See above for buyout issues on Pek and Asik).

2010 (Bradley). Passed on: None. (Tibor Pleiss and Nemjana Bjelica were the next two Euros taken.)

2010 (Harangody). Passed on: Sy.

2011 (JJJ). Passed on: none.

2011 (Moore). Passed on: Maduabum, Ngombo, Majok, Hanga.

2012 (Sully/Melo). Passed on: none. (Satoransky was the next Euro taken, in round 2).

2012 (Joseph). Passed on:Kuzmic, Karaman.

2013 (Olynyk). Passed on: Giannis, Noguiera, Schroder, Karasev, Gobert.

2013 (Iverson). Passed on: Lauvergne, Dubljevic, Timma.

2014 (Smart). Passed on: Saric, Nurkic.

2014 (Young). Passed on: Caboclo, Capela, Bogdanovic.

Summing it all up I'd say that Ainge has missed two guys (Gasol and Gortat), possibly missed another depending on how hot you are for Giannis....and skipped countless Euros taken by others later, nearly all of whom turned out to be absolute scrubs and nobodies. Even if you look at Ainge's misses they are more often domestic than foreign.

It looks less like bias and more like smart drafting to me.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Without hindsight I wanted Gobert over Olynyk (TBD). If we draft and not trade for Ray, Yi over Green (Fail). Gasol over Pruitt (Win). Picking Euros/Internationals isn't easy.