Author Topic: Any way we can trade for Nurkic?  (Read 4106 times)

Any way we can trade for Nurkic?
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:10:49 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Watched NBALP last nite against Warriors, and Nurkic looked like man against boys out there!  He's enormous, but moves very well, established inside position any time he wanted, and demanded the ball.  Once he got it, he knew what to do with it, showing a variety of hooks and dropsteps!  On D, they just couldn't get inside position on him---he's just too darn big and strong!  He challenged shots at the rim, though he looks like his D will be the area where he needs the most impovement.  Still very decent, though!
Nugs are loaded at C, and from what I've read, and heard last nite, though they're high on him, he's still gonna be behind Mosgov and McGee, and not gonna be getting many minutes.
He'd be a real steal if Danny could pull that off!!  I'd be willing to give up quite a bit to get him, as I think he's going to be a top 5 center in the league some day!  Maybe Rondo for Nurkic and ...........

Re: Any way we can trade for Nurkic?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I was really hoping for him in the draft.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Doubt it. Unless Denver is really hurting for depth at the 4 and wanted one of Bass Sullinger or Olynyk. What it might mean is that Mozgov ends up in Cleveland by the trade deadline though.

Fwiw I'm of the mindset that if Danny and Stevens wanted to take a flyer on McGee he could be a force on this roster. His stock may never be lower than it is now also.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:40:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's a possibility with our expiring guys and our picks and all their bigs. I'm sure I could get something realistic to work on the trade machine.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Would be shocked to see Nurkic traded he is young and cheap.

Much more likely the Cs role the dice on Mcgee. Would be one of those trades that likely blows up in DAs face but also could make him look like a genius. In the end I think its to risky to subject the team to two years of Mcgee. (Unless the trade involves wallaces contract)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm sure I could get something realistic to work on the trade machine.

I agree,  TP  LOL

Trouble is that if a guy is young and looks good on the court, other teams usually keep them in the real world.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm sure I could get something realistic to work on the trade machine.

I agree,  TP  LOL

Trouble is that if a guy is young and looks good on the court, other teams usually keep them in the real world.
They don't look as good on the bench or on the NBDL court and that might be his situation if they don't move someone.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I am curious as to whether Ainge would have taken Nuric at 17. As I've said before, Ainge has an almost nonexistent record with taking European players for whatever reason. You'd think that after a decade-plus of drafting they would have taken at least one or two since they represent good value in the later picks.

Ainge just loves the American college system I guess.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Watched NBALP last nite against Warriors, and Nurkic looked like man against boys out there!  He's enormous, but moves very well, established inside position any time he wanted, and demanded the ball.  Once he got it, he knew what to do with it, showing a variety of hooks and dropsteps!  On D, they just couldn't get inside position on him---he's just too darn big and strong!  He challenged shots at the rim, though he looks like his D will be the area where he needs the most impovement.  Still very decent, though!
Nugs are loaded at C, and from what I've read, and heard last nite, though they're high on him, he's still gonna be behind Mosgov and McGee, and not gonna be getting many minutes.
He'd be a real steal if Danny could pull that off!!  I'd be willing to give up quite a bit to get him, as I think he's going to be a top 5 center in the league some day!  Maybe Rondo for Nurkic and ...........

Agree he's going to be great. I think he'll be an above avg defender too, as he had really good steal and block rates in Adriatic play, though conditioning could be an issue. Not very familiar with the Denver roster, but I'd certainly do Young + Clips pick for him, or even possibly Young + Clips + Sixers 2nd rounders

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was really hoping for him in the draft.

As was I. I still think if he didn't go 16 we woulda taken him next.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I am curious as to whether Ainge would have taken Nuric at 17. As I've said before, Ainge has an almost nonexistent record with taking European players for whatever reason. You'd think that after a decade-plus of drafting they would have taken at least one or two since they represent good value in the later picks.

Off the top of my head he took Erden, that's one.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Denver has a lot of talent on that team..very good loaded roster
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

That's true, though it was just a 2nd round flyer. More specifically, it seems that every draft when there are these names bandied about in the first round the Celtics are not targeting these guys. This year, it was Saric, Nuric, Capela, and Bogdanovic (though it was rumored the Celtics were interested in Porzingis, though he would have gone too early for their 17th pick).

I just wonder if there's a specific reason why it doesn't seem to happen that often. Like, maybe their philosophy is biased against Euros who may not be great defenders? Or, Ainge prefers not to take guys who are stash candidates? I just hope it's not an issue of having below average international scouting or some stubbornness on how good European players are compared to ones coming from college.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I agree that Nurkic is a steal, and that the Nuggets are much more likely to trade McGee than Timo or Nurkic. Heck, they are also more likely to trade Timo before Nurkic. I would take a flier on McGee if I were Ainge, he is a legit, athletic shot blocker that could use Stevens' guidance and would fit well on this team, and his value is pretty low right now.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

That's true, though it was just a 2nd round flyer. More specifically, it seems that every draft when there are these names bandied about in the first round the Celtics are not targeting these guys. This year, it was Saric, Nuric, Capela, and Bogdanovic (though it was rumored the Celtics were interested in Porzingis, though he would have gone too early for their 17th pick).

I just wonder if there's a specific reason why it doesn't seem to happen that often. Like, maybe their philosophy is biased against Euros who may not be great defenders? Or, Ainge prefers not to take guys who are stash candidates? I just hope it's not an issue of having below average international scouting or some stubbornness on how good European players are compared to ones coming from college.

I'm inclined to say it's mostly a coincidence so far. Are there any instances you can point to when a international candidate was concensus BPA but he passed? Based on the fact that he was scouting Saric and Nurkic in person, it's clear that he was interested in these guys and he might well have taken one of them if they were still available at #17. I do wish he'd taken Capela instead of Young though.