Author Topic: Rondo goes through full practice  (Read 20508 times)

Re: Rondo goes through full practice
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
If Rondo isn't ready to go all-out ... then, I hope Stevens keeps him on the bench.

Let Smart start and let Rondo build up his game-fitness from backup PG slot.

+1. Absolutely

No player should be given a free pass. And a great player should not want a free pass

Who is giving anyone a free pass?  I mean come on.  What are you even talking about?

Good to hear that Rondo is coming back.  Every thread doesn't have to turn into this nonsense does it?

It's so weird how obsessed this guy is with knocking Rondo, even when Rondo hasn't done anything wrong. It's like Rondo broke his heart or something.

naw. Just not a fan of players that play like Rondo the past 2 seasons.  Near triple doubles, yet the team goes on long losing streaks , and when he gets injured the team starts to win.  He needs to get it

On to top of this, i'm not alone in criticizing Rondo. Have you heard Tommy, Jackie all say the same things about Rondo??

I guess you chose to ignore their comments and all you can think about is the glory stuff that happened 3, 4 years ago.

This was never Rondo's fault. This was Doc's putrid, vomit inducing offense that he was completely unwilling to adjust in his 6 years within the Big 3 era. They gave Rondo the keys without even designing the offense to suit his game. Stevens has been here a little over a year, and he has completely changed the system and structure to fit Rondo's game more. Fast pace and 3PT shooting. Rondo will rack them up in a motion offense. This is a good offense to run regardless of whether Rondo is here or not, but this is finally an offense that is designed to allow Rondo and the team to potentially succeed. 

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Rondo isn't ready to go all-out ... then, I hope Stevens keeps him on the bench.

+1. Absolutely

No player should be given a free pass. And a great player should not want a free pass

Who is giving anyone a free pass?  I mean come on.  What are you even talking about?

Good to hear that Rondo is coming back.  Every thread doesn't have to turn into this nonsense does it?

It's so weird how obsessed this guy is with knocking Rondo, even when Rondo hasn't done anything wrong. It's like Rondo broke his heart or something.

naw. Just not a fan of players that play like Rondo the past 2 seasons.  Near triple doubles, yet the team goes on long losing streaks , and when he gets injured the team starts to win.  He needs to get it

On to top of this, i'm not alone in criticizing Rondo. Have you heard Tommy, Jackie all say the same things about Rondo??

I guess you chose to ignore their comments and all you can think about is the glory stuff that happened 3, 4 years ago.

I just think that context is important, and in the context of everything that has happened the past couple years, I am not surprised he hasn't really shined. I mean two years ago he got injured, last year he missed much of the season and the team was pretty bad anyway. If the team and Rondo underperform this year then I will be more receptive to the criticism, but let's see the team play before we start throwing anyone under the bus, you know?

fair enough. 

All i'm saying is he has to play hard.  That means if he falls on his hands trying to make plays, he will be ok afterwards.   If he is going to avoid falling to prevent possible reinjury, then don't comeback . First get yourself 110 percent better and don't play with a brace. This is not the playoffs or anything.

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

+1. Absolutely

This was never Rondo's fault. This was Doc's putrid, vomit inducing offense that he was completely unwilling to adjust in his 6 years within the Big 3 era. They gave Rondo the keys without even designing the offense to suit his game. Stevens has been here a little over a year, and he has completely changed the system and structure to fit Rondo's game more. Fast pace and 3PT shooting. Rondo will rack them up in a motion offense. This is a good offense to run regardless of whether Rondo is here or not, but this is finally an offense that is designed to allow Rondo and the team to potentially succeed.

You make a valid point. Could of been Doc's fault for how things went on the offensive end.  But what was not Doc's fault was Rondo lazy style , gambling defensive ways.    We were getting killed on the defensive end a few seasons ago.  The opposing pg got through the initial wall (Rondo) repeatedly and they were like in candy land with how many options they had to score a bucket.  When Rondo went down due to injury, AB and Lee took care of business and guys like KG , didn't have to suffer.

Marcus Smart also plays defense like this plus is skilled offensively. Thats why i like the kid alot. 

The 2008 team that won it all was good on both ends. But when we were struggling some games, we usually found ways to make defensive stops.  That's why we were such a good team
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:41:26 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 02:41:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

+1. Absolutely

You make a valid point. Could of been Doc's fault for how things went on the offensive end.  But what was not Doc's fault was Rondo lazy style , gambling defensive ways.    We were getting killed on the defensive end a few seasons ago.  The opposing pg got through the initial wall (Rondo) repeatedly and they were like in candy land with how many options they had to score a bucket.  When Rondo went down due to injury, AB and Lee took care of business and guys like KG , didn't have to suffer.

Except, unsurprisingly, that's not what really happened. The team started the season playing terrible defense in November, better defense in December and good defense in January (with AB back). The defense we were playing in January before Rondo got hurt was better than the defense we played after he was hurt. I sometimes wonder whether your claims about Rondo are generally inaccurate because you don't like him, or if you don't like him because your opinion on what happens on the court is generally inaccurate.

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
...fifty percent in one half a dozen in the other.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 03:24:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

+1. Absolutely

Except, unsurprisingly, that's not what really happened. The team started the season playing terrible defense in November, better defense in December and good defense in January (with AB back). The defense we were playing in January before Rondo got hurt was better than the defense we played after he was hurt. I sometimes wonder whether your claims about Rondo are generally inaccurate because you don't like him, or if you don't like him because your opinion on what happens on the court is generally inaccurate.

I guess Tommy and Jackie don't like him either

You can be against my points regarding RR all you want.  We are just fans.   But imo criticism/points made by a Celtics legend like Tommy, shouldn't be discounted

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 03:26:59 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If Rondo can only play 20 minutes instead of 30+, he should play the first and last five minutes of each half, not come off the bench until he can play 30.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

+1. Absolutely

You can be against my points regarding RR all you want.  We are just fans.   But imo criticism/points made by a Celtics legend like Tommy, shouldn't be discounted

How many times has Tommy criticized Rondo? How many times has he praised Rondo? I'd guess his opinion of Rondo is much higher than yours is. Imo you shouldn't just discount it.

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if Rondo isn't ready to play the full mins. he's expected to? then I don't consider him ready and he shouldn't play.

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I don't see any reason why if Rondo is ready to play one minute, why he wouldn't be ready to play 30 minutes. He had a broken finger.  Nothing there to prevent conditioning or anything like that.  I don't see Rondo coming off the bench.  If he plays, he should start and be prepared to go all out (which I am sure what Rondo expects too).  If he is "rusty" work the rust off in practice.

From both Rondo's perspective and the team's perspective, Rondo needs to be on the court.  Rondo wants a big contract and purportedly wants to be "courted" as a top free agent.  To get that, he needs to be on the court.

The Celtic's want one of two things, but both are enhanced by Rondo playing well.  If they want to trade him, it is obviously better if Rondo is playing and playing well.  If they want to resign him and build around him, then having him on the court and showing that the team can be half decent would validate this point.

And if he breaks his finger again, so be it.  It is a finger.  Now if Rondo is not ready to play period, then of course, you don't put him out there but as I said, it seems that if the finger is ready to play a little, it would be ready to play a lot.

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

+1. Absolutely

How many times has Tommy criticized Rondo? How many times has he praised Rondo? I'd guess his opinion of Rondo is much higher than yours is. Imo you shouldn't just discount it.

I don't recall Tommy critiquing Rondo before last season. However, in April he said..
"One of the things you do, and it's tough to do with a guy like Rondo, is you pull him out and put someone else in," proposed Heinsohn. "I don't care [that he's the captain]. That's what you have to do. You've got to pull him aside and talk to him. It's a bad habit that he has from playing with different types of players. He has to play the style that brings out the best in these current teammates."

This past game against the Nets he again started talking about how the ball is really zipping from player to player and how Rondo might have a hard time adjusting to the system. He talked about how Rondo used to pass the ball ahead early in his career, but how he now walks the ball up and doesn't push the tempo.

This is also a good article, which speaks about Rondo's ball dominance:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/3/15/5469908/the-three-laws-of-rajon-rondo-brad-stevens-motion-offense-muse-analysis-spor****-stats-advanced-nba

Can Rondo adjust to Stevens' motion offense? Can he play off the ball in that offense? Will he be happy if his assist numbers presumingly drop as he no longer dominates the ball as much? Can he play with the pace Stevens' wants?

These are legitimate questions. Questions that will likely decide Rondo's future with the team.

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

+1. Absolutely

I don't recall Tommy critiquing Rondo before last season. However, in April he said..
"One of the things you do, and it's tough to do with a guy like Rondo, is you pull him out and put someone else in," proposed Heinsohn. "I don't care [that he's the captain]. That's what you have to do. You've got to pull him aside and talk to him. It's a bad habit that he has from playing with different types of players. He has to play the style that brings out the best in these current teammates."

This past game against the Nets he again started talking about how the ball is really zipping from player to player and how Rondo might have a hard time adjusting to the system. He talked about how Rondo used to pass the ball ahead early in his career, but how he now walks the ball up and doesn't push the tempo.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/3/15/5469908/the-three-laws-of-rajon-rondo-brad-stevens-motion-offense-muse-analysis-spor****-stats-advanced-nba

Can Rondo adjust to Stevens' motion offense? Can he play off the ball in that offense? Will he be happy if his assist numbers presumingly drop as he no longer dominates the ball as much? Can he play with the pace Stevens' wants?

These are legitimate questions. Questions that will likely decide Rondo's future with the team.

BballTim doesn't remember in which order Tommy has praised him and criticized him.   The worse has been as of recent
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:24:13 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

+1. Absolutely

To Tim he doesn't remember in which order Tommy has praised him and criticized him.   The worse has been as of recent

Once again, making statements about something when you don't have the slightest idea whether it's true or not. Once again, it's not. Par for the course.

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

+1. Absolutely

I would think that the player getting a free pass in this case would be Marcus Smart. Smart hasn't even outplayed Evan Turner for the back up PG position and Rondo has a ring and 4 All Star games and 4 All-Defensive team awards and averaged more than 11 assist per game three times to prove he deserves the starting position over both those players.

Your statement makes little sense.

And when Rondo is healthy and ready to play at full capacity, he will regain his starting spot.

Just until then - play the guys who are healthy enough to give best effort.

This isn't like last season when Ainge traded away all the backcourt depth and Boston had no quality alternatives to playing Rondo while he was at 60-70% for 30mpg.

This year's team has great depth. It can has good alternatives on it's roster to a partially-healthy Rondo. When Rondo is ready, the starting PG is his. It is not under threat. He is far and away the best player on the team.

But if he isn't ready to play at a high level from Day One, then bring him off the bench and let him play himself into shape. Let the other guys do the heavy lifting for now.

Guys, he broke his hand, not a leg. He can still run and function, even when recovering with his hand wrapped up. He'll be in fine condition. And Rondo never even uses his left hand on layups anyway. :P

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
The truth is
If Rondo can't go all-out he shouldn't be on the court
If he can't adjust himself to BS's system he shouldn't be on the team
It is that simple