Author Topic: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury  (Read 14923 times)

Re: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I doubt that The Lakers will become relevant again through shrewd draft picks and Byron Scott's player-development skills. They will sign free agents, and they won't make any move now that limits their future free agent budget.

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Maybe I have misunderstood something but I have heard that his salary would still count in full on the Lakers salary cap http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11752407/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-entire-season.

Nash, the NBA's oldest active player, is due more than $9 million this season. His salary counts toward the Lakers' cap.

I really can't see why Lakers would do anything to keep Nash around and for those who say why they would want to take on Wallace contract, my answer would be: Because they get a player who will play and will strengthen the Lakers-bench. At the same time they get a decent backup point guard who will also become an important player for them in the beginning of the season and a good benchplayer. Is it worth taking on Wallace contract for another year - I believe so.

If I were the Lakers I would do the trade. If I were Ainge I would even give a 2nd round pick to make the deal happen.
His salary counts against the cap, but insurance will pay a large part of it.  This trade would have to include a number of 1st round picks going from Boston to L.A. for L.A. to even think about it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Maybe I have misunderstood something but I have heard that his salary would still count in full on the Lakers salary cap http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11752407/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-entire-season.

Nash, the NBA's oldest active player, is due more than $9 million this season. His salary counts toward the Lakers' cap.

I really can't see why Lakers would do anything to keep Nash around and for those who say why they would want to take on Wallace contract, my answer would be: Because they get a player who will play and will strengthen the Lakers-bench. At the same time they get a decent backup point guard who will also become an important player for them in the beginning of the season and a good benchplayer. Is it worth taking on Wallace contract for another year - I believe so.

If I were the Lakers I would do the trade. If I were Ainge I would even give a 2nd round pick to make the deal happen.

A stronger bench for a terrible team doesn't move the needle much.  Your sales pitch to the Lakers is essentially "you'll lose two or three fewer games this season!"

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
The big question is really what Lakers want to do with the coming season - tanking or competing?

If Kobe is fresh, then it might be his last season as a world class player, and I think Lakers would do whatever they can to give him a last playoff-run.

Another thing is that I think you guys underestimate Wallace and Bynum. Wallace is not as bad as you guys want him to be - he can still defend and he is not a great player on the offense, but he is still ok.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Wow, I just looked at their roster, and boy do the Lakers really blow cheese this year!

Not much talent on that roster that I'd be willing to trade for, really.

I mean, I might do a deal to get the roster to 15, like trading for Nash and cutting him or doing a 2-fer, say, Vitor and Bynum for Nash, etc.

THey'll probably try using his contract to land a big fish.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
The big question is really what Lakers want to do with the coming season - tanking or competing?

If Kobe is fresh, then it might be his last season as a world class player, and I think Lakers would do whatever they can to give him a last playoff-run.

Another thing is that I think you guys underestimate Wallace and Bynum. Wallace is not as bad as you guys want him to be - he can still defend and he is not a great player on the offense, but he is still ok.

They aren't competing this year and Wallace and Bynum really aren't going to change that.  They don't have the talent to compete.  The Lakers don't owe Kobe anything beyond what they are contractually obligated to pay him.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
Just call me an old romantic, but I believe in paying back to old loyal servants. I believe that the only decent thing Lakers can do is either to give Kobe a last run at the playoffs or trade him to a team in which he can have that run. This is just like we did with Pierce - the only honorable thing to do!

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Kobe knew what he was signing up for when he accepted that contract.

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

His salary counts against the cap, but insurance will pay a large part of it.  This trade would have to include a number of 1st round picks going from Boston to L.A. for L.A. to even think about it.

Correct and agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I doubt that The Lakers will become relevant again through shrewd draft picks and Byron Scott's player-development skills. They will sign free agents, and they won't make any move now that limits their future free agent budget.

I agree,  Scott is NOT the man to make them relevant again.  And yes,  it is not the Lakers style to develop anything .   They buy or steal what they need to rebuild .  It's their history .   Their fan base won't accept 10 years of none contender status , they be screaming crying in two years much less 20 like most team endure.

The  ,NBA has tightened up the parity ....put the squeeze on even the Laker domination .  They are out of assets , ones that can bring in a top ten star. Anyway...few picks to rely on, no DR Jerry , no Phil , no CP3 , HoWard or Gasol.   The LA fans thought LeBron , Melo and the whole crowd would kicking their door in to be on the team...... LOL ....they are sucking lemons, crying , ducking the cold facts ....over on the enemy forums .   I love it,

Kobe is untradeable ,  he won't leave till HE is ready .   ;D......so they will just suck .

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Answer to the OP's question:

NO!

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Nash expires this year.

Wallace doesn't, why would they want to take on additional money?

Right, except that, imo, Wallace is probably the exact type of player that Kobe would want to play with, in that he's a defense-first, hustle guy who's not going to demand the ball, so in that sense, he could be a nice fit next to Bryant, especially defensively, and this trade would certainly help the Lakers rebuild after both of their contracts expire.  I know that they'd never go for it, but I honestly believe the Kobe would at least entertain the option of playing with a guy like Wallace, or at least he should haha.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I was thinking the same thing. What kind of package would it take to get nash and his expiring contract. For me to flip Wallace for Nash and the Lakers dont have a first rounder next year.If it falls out of top 5. I would be ok with giving up the Clippers pick. My other thought was this can we take on Nash contract using half the Bogans tpe? With a third team maybe. Idk cap experts help us out on this one.

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
I also think I would do the deal if we gave up one of our worse 1st round-picks.

You really shouldn't underestimate how much Nash can teach Smart and Rondo. I think he will be the perfect mentor and we would benefit from the deal even though he wont play a single game.

I also think that the Lakers would love the deal in the end, as they get valuable assets. Wallace contract wont be that bad, as they no matter what will suck this season and next season, so it's going to be all about giving Kobe some Kobe-time.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I also think I would do the deal if we gave up one of our worse 1st round-picks.

You really shouldn't underestimate how much Nash can teach Smart and Rondo. I think he will be the perfect mentor and we would benefit from the deal even though he wont play a single game.

I also think that the Lakers would love the deal in the end, as they get valuable assets. Wallace contract wont be that bad, as they no matter what will suck this season and next season, so it's going to be all about giving Kobe some Kobe-time.

Totally agree with being willing to give up the Clippers' first rounder to get this done!!!  I really think that Bynum would end up playing MORE minutes at PG than Lin!!!

LA does this to try to make Kobe a little more happy and for the pick!!!!

LA only has 36 million on the books for next year, due to the fact that Jordan Hill's $9 million is a TEAM OPTION.  I really don't think that Gerald's 10.11 million is a real deal breaker as long as they get a first rounder out of this and a couple of rotation players.  LA desperately needs a back up PG and they could really use some SF depth and a little more PF depth!!

Smitty77