Author Topic: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury  (Read 14972 times)

Can we capitalize on Nash-injury
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hi all

First of all I think it's a huge shame that when a player like Steve Nash gets into the kind of problems that he's got, but at the same time ones loss is another mans gain.

Lakers will now do whatever they can to get rid of his contract, as he is absolutely useless to them.

So that gives me an idea - could we use a Nash trade to get rid of Wallace?

Could the Lakers use Wallace? Maybe! Lakers really needs some defence and I think the only thing Wallace can still do is to defend, and his presence would really help the Lakers defence. I actually think he would get playing time and a team with Kobe on the roster is not a tanking team.

At the same time the Lakers have injury problems on the PG position so we could also give them Bynum, who would work as a decent backup for Lin.

This gives us this deal:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ppztkjz

The deal is also a great one for us, as our backcourt could really benefit if they can learn from Nash in practice and at the same time we shouldn't pay Wallace contract anymore.

Re: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The only problem is that the Lakers will more than likely try to use the Disabled Player Exception on Nash.

Just kidding I forgot they weren't over the cap anymore.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nash expires this year.

Wallace doesn't, why would they want to take on additional money?

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Lakers will now do whatever they can to get rid of his contract, as he is absolutely useless to them.

I am not so sure the Lakers are all that motivated to dump Nash's contract.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They're not going to pay more than 15% of it, provided he really is out for the whole thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i'm not going to reflect on this idea, but i have something to say about Wallace:
1. he was one of my favorite players over the last decade
2. he looks like a victim of a space jam monsters, he's only good for layups
3. but he plays great defense
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
i'm not going to reflect on this idea, but i have something to say about Wallace:
I wish he was good for layups. He doesn't even make those reliably, or attempt them which is even worse.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I wish he was good for layups. He doesn't even make those reliably, or attempt them which is even worse.

All very true, sadly.

He can still pass the rock, though. This preseason he's made some nifty passes and I will never forget the pass he made to Green in the corner for the three to beat the Heat.

That doesn't quite justify his contract, though.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like the trade and solves some issues for the C's.  not sold on LA wanting an extra year of Wallace (even if they can't get anyone to willingly play with Kobe ;)  )

Clears the extra year of Wallace's deal and the extra contracted player for the C's.  doesn't really do a lot for LA in terms of upgrading over what little talent they already have though.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
A generation of greats on their way out. First Shaq, now Nash, KG is finished too. Soon Kobe and Wade; how much longer for Duncan, Dirk, our own PP?

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
A generation of greats on their way out. First Shaq, now Nash, KG is finished too. Soon Kobe and Wade; how much longer for Duncan, Dirk, our own PP?

I can picture Duncan rolling his eyes and then laughing incredulously for being lumped in with these other fossils.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Maybe I have misunderstood something but I have heard that his salary would still count in full on the Lakers salary cap http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11752407/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-entire-season.

Nash, the NBA's oldest active player, is due more than $9 million this season. His salary counts toward the Lakers' cap.

I really can't see why Lakers would do anything to keep Nash around and for those who say why they would want to take on Wallace contract, my answer would be: Because they get a player who will play and will strengthen the Lakers-bench. At the same time they get a decent backup point guard who will also become an important player for them in the beginning of the season and a good benchplayer. Is it worth taking on Wallace contract for another year - I believe so.

If I were the Lakers I would do the trade. If I were Ainge I would even give a 2nd round pick to make the deal happen.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I almost wept reading this. A Celtics fan standing up to defend Gerald Wallace. Your arguments are wrong, your logic is flawed but your heart is set at the right place. Good for you fellow Celtics fan. TP.
 :'(

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'd do it in a split second. Now way LA takes on another year of salary though.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Maybe I have misunderstood something but I have heard that his salary would still count in full on the Lakers salary cap http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11752407/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-entire-season.

Nash, the NBA's oldest active player, is due more than $9 million this season. His salary counts toward the Lakers' cap.

I really can't see why Lakers would do anything to keep Nash around and for those who say why they would want to take on Wallace contract, my answer would be: Because they get a player who will play and will strengthen the Lakers-bench. At the same time they get a decent backup point guard who will also become an important player for them in the beginning of the season and a good benchplayer. Is it worth taking on Wallace contract for another year - I believe so.

If I were the Lakers I would do the trade. If I were Ainge I would even give a 2nd round pick to make the deal happen.

you would obviously do it -- you proposed it.  I like the deal too but the thing is I don't think the Lakers would. 

Wallace and Bynum don't really move the needle enough for the Lakers this year to take on an extra year of Wallace when Nash is completely off the books after this year.  If the salaries of Bynum and Wallace were reversed where the bulk of that incoming salary came off the books after this year, then I could see them considering this.