Author Topic: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury  (Read 14988 times)

Re: Can we capitalize on Nash-injury
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
do you think rondo fits in with the c's future plans? do you think he's a max player? or do you just think we can get a better trade? if so, what would you suggest?
I agree with you but I am going to play devil's advocate and answer for what I think the Rondo fans will say:

"We can build around Rondo because he will attract top free agents to Boston.  Without Rondo, no good FAs will want to come here."

I think it is unlikely that we will sign Rondo and if we do, it will be because we overpaid.  It is tough to trade Rondo right now because his value is low and it is hard for contending teams to send anything of value back and I don't think rebuilding teams look at Rondo as a cornerstone type of play to build around.  There are teams that would like to have Rondo I am sure but making the deal happen is tough.

Rondo needs to get back out on the court and play well.  We will probably trade him for what will seem to many to be pennies on the dollar and maybe it will be but it will be better than getting nothing.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding getting Nash and Lin, Nash is out for the year and worthless and Lin comes with a nice $7 million or so payment that is off the salary cap books. For a team that just traded away Joel Anthony to save $900,000 by waiving Will Bynum instead of Anthony, it's pretty illogical that the same management team would be okay with having to pay that extra payment on this year's contract for Jeremy Lin.

That Lakers trade suggestion is just bad and makes little to no sense.

Should the Celtics trade Rondo? Sure if the return is good and the trade makes sense. This Laker trade suggestion is neither. Its awful return and makes little sense financially or with roster balance.

I have no problem trading Rondo but I would rather trade him with others to get a better player than to trade his one dollar to get 4 quarters or especially just 2  or 3 quarters.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Regarding getting Nash and Lin, Nash is out for the year and worthless and Lin comes with a nice $7 million or so payment that is off the salary cap books. For a team that just traded away Joel Anthony to save $900,000 by waiving Will Bynum instead of Anthony, it's pretty illogical that the same management team would be okay with having to pay that extra payment on this year's contract for Jeremy Lin.

Should the Celtics trade Rondo? Sure if the return is good and the trade makes sense. This Laker trade suggestion is neither. Its awful return and makes little sense financially or with roster balance.

I have no problem trading Rondo but I would rather trade him with others to get a better player than to trade his one dollar to get 4 quarters or especially just 2  or 3 quarters.

I'll be standing by the phones waiting for that deal.  Hey why not trade him to New Orleans?   If we throw in Sullinger we can probably snag Anthony Davis and maybe a first rounder or two.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

Also why do you want roster balance when in a full on rebuild?  The best way to acquire assets while also improving your lottery status is to be as unbalanced as possible. 

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I'd sooner see Iverson on a Celtics roster than los Nash. 

That said.  I don't see how putting any of the guys mentioned on the roster benefits us at all.  Randle is a bigger project defensively than Gerald Green was.   Lin is redundant on our roster.  Los Nash brings nothing as an inactive player and even less as a teacher.  What's he going to teach our young players?  How to flop?  How to completely ignore the defensive end of the court?  Seems contrary to Stevens' system and very contrary to who we drafted.

For all of what's said and what's true about Wallace.  He plays defense.  He was rarely out of position defensively.   He plays hard.   He may be a lot overpaid.  But he's a lot better role model to young players on this team than players who see defense as a 4-letter word.   He also isn't going anywhere til next season, anyway.

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I would love to make a Rondo for Nash/Randle deal. But I'm thinking the Lakers balk. Randle is going to be a stud as the player who got away from Danny Ainge.

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
I'd sooner see Iverson on a Celtics roster than los Nash. 

That said.  I don't see how putting any of the guys mentioned on the roster benefits us at all.  Randle is a bigger project defensively than Gerald Green was.   Lin is redundant on our roster.  Los Nash brings nothing as an inactive player and even less as a teacher.  What's he going to teach our young players?  How to flop?  How to completely ignore the defensive end of the court?  Seems contrary to Stevens' system and very contrary to who we drafted.

For all of what's said and what's true about Wallace.  He plays defense.  He was rarely out of position defensively.   He plays hard.   He may be a lot overpaid.  But he's a lot better role model to young players on this team than players who see defense as a 4-letter word.   He also isn't going anywhere til next season, anyway.

Why do you care if Nash and Lin are productive?  They are both expiring contracts.  Not like we are trying to add players to go from a second round team to conference finals team.

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Excuse the rest of us who believe that the Rondo for Laker garbage suggestion makes little sense or is ridiculously unrealistic. Some people actually think when trading a player of Rondo's caliber the object of the trade should be to make the Celtics a better team, not a worse one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:00:30 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Excuse the rest of us who believe that the Rondo for Laker garbage suggestion makes little sense or is ridiculously unrealistic. Some people actually think when trading a player of Rondo's caliber the object of the trade should be to make the Celtics a better team, not a worse one.
exactly Nick.  some people are just hellbent on trading Rondo for any pile of garbage they can get.

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
exactly Nick.  some people are just hellbent on trading Rondo for any pile of garbage they can get.

Yeah a guy who went 7th overall is garbage.  Terrible haul for a fringe all star on the last year of his contract.

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

No you are right.  During a rebuild generally the team rebuilding trades their veterans to contenders for upgrades.   Rockets could use a point guard.  Rondo and a filler for Harden.  Maybe Houston will toss in a pick as well.   

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah a guy who went 7th overall is garbage.  Terrible haul for a fringe all star on the last year of his contract.
So now this ridiculous proposal includes Nash, who is out for the rest of his career, Lin, a player the Celtics would have to pay $7+ million to besides his salty cap number of $8 million and Randle, a player who just broke his leg and is probably out for the year and would have been behind three other PFs anyway.

Yeah, great trade proposal? What's next? Trade Sully, KO and Smart and all our first round picks for the rights to Dario Saric because, you know, when he gets to the league in a year or three he might be awesome?

See, two can play this immature game of reductio ad absurdum

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe I have misunderstood something but I have heard that his salary would still count in full on the Lakers salary cap http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11752407/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-entire-season.

Nash, the NBA's oldest active player, is due more than $9 million this season. His salary counts toward the Lakers' cap.

I really can't see why Lakers would do anything to keep Nash around and for those who say why they would want to take on Wallace contract, my answer would be: Because they get a player who will play and will strengthen the Lakers-bench. At the same time they get a decent backup point guard who will also become an important player for them in the beginning of the season and a good benchplayer. Is it worth taking on Wallace contract for another year - I believe so.

If I were the Lakers I would do the trade. If I were Ainge I would even give a 2nd round pick to make the deal happen.
The cap is irrelevant. Insurance will likely pay out Nash's contract, not Dr. Buss. You would have to give them a pretty good asset to have them take on an extra year of Wallace's contract. If we don't want Wallace, why would they? Why would anyone even want to play Wallace? He is toast. Play some random rookie instead since if you are playing Wallace, it means you really lack talent on your team and should be rebuilding.

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just out of curiosity, how many other players in their 20s (or even early 30s) that made the last 4 all-star games they were healthy for "fringe all-stars? Just list 2-3 so I can get a better idea of what that term means to you.

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Well maybe we can trade Rondo for one of Eric Gordon, Corey Brewer, Randy Foye, Charlie Villanueva, Kirk Hinrch, Eddie Griffin, or Chris Mihm... All picked 7th overall so they must all be wicked ridiculously good. Like beyond how good Rondo is.

Give it a rest dude.