Author Topic: Steve Nash out for the entire season.  (Read 12094 times)

Re: Steve Nash out for the entire season.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Looks like the Lakers giving up all those picks for Nash in 2012 is turning into a bad investment.
What picks did they give up?

Is the 2015 1st they gave up unprotected? If so that could be huge.

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Looks like the Lakers giving up all those picks for Nash in 2012 is turning into a bad investment.
They traded their 2013 and 2015 first round picks.

The 2015 pick is top 5 protected, so they could easily lose their lottery pick this year if they don't jump up in the lottery.

The 2013 pick wasn't that bad as it was the pick swapped down due to the Ramon Sessions trade all the way to the 30th pick.

I was rooting so hard for them to miss the playoffs that year, simply because then they'd have sent a lottery pick to the Suns.

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Top 5 protected.

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
First ballot hall of famer? I say yes
Almost certainly, though the basketball HoF screws things up regularly.

Sucks that he can't leave on his terms, but he was cooked even if he could play.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Top 5 protected.

Kobe, Boozer, and Lin, that team isn't a high lotto team. At best, maybe 8th seed to just missed playoffs. They probably will do a bit better than us and be just outside the top 5 in my opinion. Phoenix looks like they can cash out on that pick next season

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Top 5 protected.

Kobe, Boozer, and Lin, that team isn't a high lotto team. At best, maybe 8th seed to just missed playoffs. They probably will do a bit better than us and be just outside the top 5 in my opinion. Phoenix looks like they can cash out on that pick next season

That could be the worst defensive team in the West.  It might even be the worst defensive team in the East.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Top 5 protected.

I beg to differ fellow Celtic fan. They will be a bottom 5 team.
-If the preseason is any sign they did awfully.
-Kobe is a great player but an awful teammate, and you can already see the clouds gathering over LA.
-It is quite likely he ll get injured/need some rest during the regular season.
-Lin and Boozer? In the Western Conference? If you leave out Kobe, even Utah has a better roster.
-Unlike us, they have no Philly (or at least NYK) in their division.
-Byron Scott.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Top 5 protected.

That could be the worst defensive team in the West.  It might even be the worst defensive team in the East.

Mike
It might be the worst defensive team in the known world  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:52:28 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Top 5 protected.

... they play in the West.  They're a lock to be one of the three worst teams in that conference.  They're not going to come even close to sniffing the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Lakers were the 6th worst team last year. I could see a similar record, they're probably somewhat likely to keep the pick but I'd have thought the same about last years team.

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Top 5 protected.

... they play in the West.  They're a lock to be one of the three worst teams in that conference.  They're not going to come even close to sniffing the playoffs.

last year's Lakers team was -Kobe, no Boozer and no Lin. They had Young would wanted to be Kobe 2.0, Gasol, and everyone else are pretty much scrubs

This year was last year's team with help, and a 7th pick in Julius Randle who in my opinion is ready to contribute. I think his rookie year, he is definitely and 8 and 4 guy off the bench starting off with room to grow as the season progresses

Young isn't out for the season, so when he comes back he can provide Kobe with rest.

A fully healthy Lakers team (without Nash), should at least sniff playoffs if not be 8th seed at the very least

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
last year's Lakers team was -Kobe, no Boozer and no Lin. They had Young would wanted to be Kobe 2.0, Gasol, and everyone else are pretty much scrubs

This year was last year's team with help, and a 7th pick in Julius Randle who in my opinion is ready to contribute. I think his rookie year, he is definitely and 8 and 4 guy off the bench starting off with room to grow as the season progresses

Young isn't out for the season, so when he comes back he can provide Kobe with rest.

A fully healthy Lakers team (without Nash), should at least sniff playoffs if not be 8th seed at the very least
They were 22 games off the 8th seed last year.

How does a bunch of lateral moves at best and Kobe's return make up for that?

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Los Nash is a disgrace.  He pretty much showed his intentions the last two seasons by playing when he felt like playing......Then told his intentions for this season.....Which was to just collect a paycheck. 

Good riddance.

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

A healthy Kobe makes up for that all by itself.   No way a team with a healthy Kobe doesn't make the playoffs.

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

A healthy Kobe makes up for that all by itself.   No way a team with a healthy Kobe doesn't make the playoffs.

... it already happened when he was in his prime.

Also, manu_lui, are you suggesting that Carlos Boozer is a plus?  Because for all intents and purposes, you can say that the Lakers replaced Gasol with Boozer.  Yeah, no, I'm going to call that a clear downgrade.

And Lin is better than Farmar and Marshall, but Price is probably worse than all three, so it's effectively a wash.  The Lakers simply do not have the talent to be competitive in the West.  They're not better than any of the playoff teams from last season.  Anthony Davis inherently makes the Pelicans better than the Lakers.  They're not better than the Nuggets.  They're definitely not better than Phoenix.  Factor in their new coach and his horrific offensive scheme and the Lakers are closer to being the worst team in the West than they are to sniffing a playoff spot.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:51:44 PM by Endless Paradise »