Author Topic: We are going to be better than people think  (Read 30732 times)

Re: We are going to be better than people think
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
We are making the playoffs.  This is a diff team than last seasons.

Only player that can mess things up is Rondo.   

If Rondo adapts, we could be better than just the 8th seed. If Rondo pounds the ball and gambles on defense , we are doomed.

+1
There is a paradox with Rondo though (or maybe a Catch 22 of sorts).  If Rondo "adapts" and plays the ball movement game, he negates what is his primary contribution to the offense.  Once he doesn't have the ball anymore, what does he add to the offense?

Rondo just needs to have the ball in his hands for the last 6 to 8 seconds of the shot clock.

Mike

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Aaahhh the sweet seductive squeeze of Pre season.
If everything goes perfectly and we don't get any injuries, and we don't trade Green and Bass...AND Rondo stays healthy, then we might reach 34 wins.
Hitting 30 wins is going to be tough and I'm assuming we trade Bass and Green.

29 wins.

Shooting that many threes with preseason defenders is great. Problem is they're all wide open.
Guarding the paint and rebounding/stopping second shot opportunities is easy when our starting line up plays deron Williams and the towel boys a few times.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If Rondo adapts, we could be better than just the 8th seed. If Rondo pounds the ball and gambles on defense , we are doomed.

+1
There is a paradox with Rondo though (or maybe a Catch 22 of sorts).  If Rondo "adapts" and plays the ball movement game, he negates what is his primary contribution to the offense.  Once he doesn't have the ball anymore, what does he add to the offense?

When Rondo is pounding the ball and trying to make flashy passes, he is at HIS best but the team is not at their best.  If Rondo passes the ball just to keep the ball moving, which is better for the team, then he just goes and stands in the corner or under the basket.  He then just watches because he can't catch and shoot, can't draw defenders, can't really do anything unless he has the ball.

Doc tried everything (I believe) but then finally conceded that if he was going to have Rondo on the court, you may as well let him pound.  It is part attitude but also part ability.  It will be interesting to see what Stevens comes up with but I think it will take more than Rondo adapting to make this team good.

thats why Rondo needs to go.  When Rondo was not pounding the ball as much when we won it all, he was cutting to the basket and even making an effort to grab offensive rebounds.  Now bc of his health, he can't even do those things

Rondo best fits with a team that needs him to control the ball and create shots for others. Plus he needs a top notch defending center to bail him out often. For example Rondo could be a good fit for the Kings, Pistons or Knicks

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

+1

Rondo just needs to have the ball in his hands for the last 6 to 8 seconds of the shot clock.

Mike

To do what? dance around? He is the last person right now i want the ball with less than 8 seconds

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ha...this sounds about right. 

I think it would take an almost "perfect storm" of things breaking right for this team to sniff .500.  They just don't have the talent yet.   They have a brutal start to their schedule, their best player is coming off an injury and won't be there in Game 1, their frontcourt defense is awfully suspect, and they have a ton of redundancy in their current roster pieces. 

They should be better than last year.  The youngsters should improve and Rondo should play better than the limited games he played last year.  I just don't expect a huge increase in wins.  I also wouldn't be surprised is there is a decent amount of roster turnover during the season.  Things going down at the trade deadline.  Guys coming & going.    This is year 2 of the rebuild and its still a transition. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I do think this team will be better then expected. I think this team would have been fringe playoff team LAST YEAR. This year the easy has improved and I expect this team to be around +/- 35 wins. Ten more then last year and 3 short of the 38 that got the hawks the 8th seed. I think the east shakes out as follows:

1. Bulls       
2. Cavs       
3. Wiz         
4. Raptors   
5. Heat       
6. Bobcats 
7. Hawks   
8. Pacers   
------------
9. Pistons
10. Nets
11. Celtics
12. Knicks
13. Magic
14. Bucks
15. 76ers

I could flip 9-12 in any order with the Pacers barely holding onto the 8th seed. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hawks go after Jeff Green at the trade deadline to solidify themselves for the playoffs. Either way ATL makes for a tough first round for the Cavs. This trade will likely take away any chance of a surprise Cs playoff push.

The Cs hole at center defensively is what separates them from the 7th and 8th seeds but their perimeter defense and depth will win them games.     
Lots of good points in your post. I understand this is not your main point, but IMHO you really overestimate Indiana's chances of entering the playoffs. Nets, Pistons and NYK (in this order) have better chances.

I think Indiana is also going to be better than people think.  They're well-coached, have a lot of experience, play good D and the main toxic lockerroom guy is gone. 

They're gonna struggle like crazy to score and play some ugly games but they'll still compete for the playoffs unless they consciously decide to blow off the season via trades.

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I do think this team will be better then expected. I think this team would have been fringe playoff team LAST YEAR. This year the easy has improved and I expect this team to be around +/- 35 wins. Ten more then last year and 3 short of the 38 that got the hawks the 8th seed. I think the east shakes out as follows:

1. Bulls       
2. Cavs       
3. Wiz         
4. Raptors   
5. Heat       
6. Bobcats 
7. Hawks   
8. Pacers   
------------
9. Pistons
10. Nets
11. Celtics
12. Knicks
13. Magic
14. Bucks
15. 76ers

I could flip 9-12 in any order with the Pacers barely holding onto the 8th seed. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hawks go after Jeff Green at the trade deadline to solidify themselves for the playoffs. Either way ATL makes for a tough first round for the Cavs. This trade will likely take away any chance of a surprise Cs playoff push.

The Cs hole at center defensively is what separates them from the 7th and 8th seeds but their perimeter defense and depth will win them games.     
Lots of good points in your post. I understand this is not your main point, but IMHO you really overestimate Indiana's chances of entering the playoffs. Nets, Pistons and NYK (in this order) have better chances.

I think Indiana is also going to be better than people think.  They're well-coached, have a lot of experience, play good D and the main toxic lockerroom guy is gone. 

They're gonna struggle like crazy to score and play some ugly games but they'll still compete for the playoffs unless they consciously decide to blow off the season via trades.

Believe me, Indiana is going to be bad...real bad. 

Their highest scorer and best perimeter defender (Paul George) is out for the season.

Their second highest scorer and second best perimeter defender (Lance Stephenson) is gone.

That means the Pacer's have lost their two best scorers and their two best perimeter defenders.  Their performance in both categories is going to do way downhill, and their offense was already horrible. 

Right now Indiana's best player is David West, who is around 35 years old.  Their second best player is Roy Hibbert, who they've been trying to trade for years reportedly.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

+1

Mike

To do what? dance around? He is the last person right now i want the ball with less than 8 seconds

Do you even WATCH basketball?

Mike

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Believe me, Indiana is going to be bad...real bad. 

Their highest scorer and best perimeter defender (Paul George) is out for the season.

Their second highest scorer and second best perimeter defender (Lance Stephenson) is gone.

That means the Pacer's have lost their two best scorers and their two best perimeter defenders.  Their performance in both categories is going to do way downhill, and their offense was already horrible. 

Right now Indiana's best player is David West, who is around 35 years old.  Their second best player is Roy Hibbert, who they've been trying to trade for years reportedly.

I think we basically agree, it's just that I think it'll cause their record to drop by about 15-20 wins, and a lot of people seem to think it'll be more like 25-30.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:02:51 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

+1

Mike

Do you even WATCH basketball?

Mike

Yes. But i dont think you do.

When has Rondo been known as a clutch scorer with the clock running out??

I guess next you will say is he will find someone.  But then if he does they will have what 3 sec to score?

You dont give the ball to someone with time running out hoping he makes the clutch pass

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »

Offline JBone4eva

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 17
I def see us being a 7-8th seed in the East.  Our defense will surprise alot of people, and our 3 pt. shooting will be solid relative to the amount we're going to take (alot).  I'm also confident that Marcus Thornton will become our closer and win us some games with clutch 4th quarter scoring.

This is going to be a fun year  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:39:15 PM by JBone4eva »

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/brad-stevens-gears-his-second-nba-season

Fantastic video of practice scrimmages, Stevens engaged into every play, his little chat with Rondo. Great.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/brad-stevens-gears-his-second-nba-season

Fantastic video of practice scrimmages, Stevens engaged into every play, his little chat with Rondo. Great.

GOOD!!!

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP for the positivity, and I agree.

I personally think we'll get 40-44 wins, maybe a few more barring health issues.

Our defense is going to cause most teams problems.

Looking forward to this season and beyond.

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ha...this sounds about right. 

I think it would take an almost "perfect storm" of things breaking right for this team to sniff .500.  They just don't have the talent yet.   They have a brutal start to their schedule, their best player is coming off an injury and won't be there in Game 1, their frontcourt defense is awfully suspect, and they have a ton of redundancy in their current roster pieces. 

They should be better than last year.  The youngsters should improve and Rondo should play better than the limited games he played last year.  I just don't expect a huge increase in wins.  I also wouldn't be surprised is there is a decent amount of roster turnover during the season.  Things going down at the trade deadline.  Guys coming & going.    This is year 2 of the rebuild and its still a transition.
I agree.  The predictions of 25ish wins seem on point.