Author Topic: We are going to be better than people think  (Read 30840 times)

Re: We are going to be better than people think
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I just think while some guys may be better or expected to be better there still exists these problems that were there last yr. and there's no getting around it.

Avery Bradley shooting pull up jumpers with 23 sec's. on the clock, he misses 4 of those a game? that's pretty much an automatic 8 pts. for the other team.

We shoot too many 3's and jump shots in general for my liking(esp. when there is no Pierce or Ray Allen on this team...ya know a couple guys that have hit a jumper or 2 in their time). that stuff catches up to you.

We keep hearing "we're going to be an aggressive team". and yet we're shooting jump shots. let's try getting teams in foul trouble and see what happens.   

no defense down low, what so ever.

we have a lot of guards on this team. small ball is loser basketball.   

I expect the Celtics to be aggressive in part by being willing to take jump shots if they are open, high-percentage shots before the other team has been able to set its half-court defense.  I hope the Celtics take more transition threes than they did last season.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:56:24 PM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
7-8th seed possible as of now.

Still way too early, but injuries and trades can swing that dramatically either way.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
I don't know where people are getting this from.  This is the Celtics roster as of right now -  mostly Rookies, role players, young players, with horrid interior defense and below average rebounding, and on top of that no consistent crunch time scorer. Roster like that in the NBA don't come anywhere close to .500 or the playoffs. It's got 50 losses written all over it.  People are asking WAY too much of said rookies / young payers / role players, it doesn't work that way in the NBA, it just doesn't. This year will be just like last -  competitive, play hard , but lose lots of games in the 4th quarter.   How much is better?  5 more wins, ok so we go 32-50, I guess that's better. It's the way the roster is constructed. I actually except us to have leads on many a night, again, only to lose it in the 4th qtr.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Despite their weakness at center, I think the Celtics have a legitimate shot at being a top-ten defense.  If they can pair that with an offense that isn't near the bottom, they have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Statistically, the Celtics were a very average rebounding team last season.  If they were below average, they were only barely below average.  The dropoff from losing Humphries won't be so bad if most of those minutes go to Sullinger and Olynyk and will be partly offset by Rondo and Smart playing instead of Pressey, Crawford, and Bayless.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think we may even be a .500 team.

Smart, Young, Green, Turner, Olynyk, Sullinger, etc..

We have some good young players.

And I love our defensive attit
ude. Brad is a very good coach.

And Rondo. When healthy,  he's a top 5 pg in the NBA.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »

Offline Ragingrondo

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
does anyone else think sully will be an all star this year if he carries over preseason form.
The all star powerfowards and centers last year were millsap, hibbert, bosh and noah.
I think if before the all star break if we're in playoff contention he is an all-star because the players that made the all-star team last year who will probably make it again are bosh and noah and horford instead of millsap , i think sully will make it.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Depends which people but I agree.  I think we'll finish in the mid-30s for wins, but very likely over 30 at least. 

The story of the season will be one of those teams that flirts with the back of the playoff race for a while midseason, gets everyone's hopes up, but drops out after a late-season slump and limps to the finish line.  A typical young 10th or 11th place in the conference deal.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Depends which people but I agree.  I think we'll finish in the mid-30s for wins, but very likely over 30. 

The story of the season will be one of those teams that flirts with the back of the playoff race for a while midseason, gets everyone's hopes up, but drops out after a late-season slump and limps to the finish line.  A typical young 10th or 11th place in the conference deal.

I'll want more, but I'll take that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
31-51.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Despite their weakness at center, I think the Celtics have a legitimate shot at being a top-ten defense. 
  Our best defensive big is Bass, after that there is a huge drop off and he can't guard centers.   Jeff Green and Wallace are ok, but we have huge holes on D with PF and C.

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Despite their weakness at center, I think the Celtics have a legitimate shot at being a top-ten defense. 
  Our best defensive big is Bass, after that there is a huge drop off and he can't guard centers.   Jeff Green and Wallace are ok, but we have huge holes on D with PF and C.

Bass is terrible. All the Bass big man combos had just an awful +/- last year. Danny has been trying to give him away since last spring. Nobody seems to want the guy. And that's not because his offense.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Zeller is better than Bass. And i would said KO and Sully are just as good. Plus have more of a size adv

Bass will help. But really he should be the 5th frontcourt player and we could use another bigger defender

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Bass is terrible. All the Bass big man combos had just an awful +/- last year. Danny has been trying to give him away since last spring. Nobody seems to want the guy. And that's not because his offense.

Bass does a decent job against backup pfs and surprisingly bigger SFs like lebron.

But yeah outside of these kind of matchups, he is mediocre

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I wouldn't be surprised if we won 27 games, and I wouldn't be surprised if we won 45 games. Our range for failure and success is quite large, but that's what makes it fun for me. I know they have potential to be .500 this year, and it'll be fun to see if they can pull it off. If they can't, it's understandable. That's what having a young team is like.

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We will win a ton of games at home but lose alot away i predict

But make 8th seed. Then for the next draft still grab a top 10 pick by trading away multiple picks.

We got too many and need to this anyway