Author Topic: Celtics in the 2014 NBA GM Survey  (Read 2718 times)

Celtics in the 2014 NBA GM Survey
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Y'all know the drill. The NBA GM Poll goes out annually through NBA.com (it's where that "kelly olynyk was the biggest steal" factoid came from). Well it's out, and the Celtics have made some appearances, which I've collected for us to argue over, lament, celebrate and refer to, as the occasion warrants.

There are many other sections where Celtics staff/players did not earn any votes -- best basketball IQ, best coach, best rookie in five years, etc -- and if you're interested in those, you can find the full thing here:
http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/nba-com-2014-15-gm-survey/

edit: Now bolded for ease of identification.

Who will win the 2014-15 Rookie of the Year?
1. Jabari Parker, Milwaukee -- 75.0%
2. Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota -- 17.9%
Also receiving votes: Nerlens Noel, Philadelphia; Marcus Smart, Boston

Who is the best perimeter defender in the NBA?
1. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 25.0%
2. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio -- 21.4%
3. Tony Allen, Memphis -- 17.9%
4. Jimmy Butler, Chicago -- 7.1%
Andre Iguodala, Golden State -- 7.1%
Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 7.1%
Klay Thompson, Golden State -- 7.1%
Also receiving votes: Avery Bradley, Boston; Paul George, Indiana

Which active player will make the best head coach someday?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 24.0%
2. Steve Blake, Portland -- 12.0%
3. Kirk Hinrich, Chicago -- 8.0%
Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers -- 8.0%
4. Mike Conley, Memphis -- 6.0%
Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn -- 6.0%
Also receiving votes: Caron Butler, Detroit; Jared Dudley, Milwaukee; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio; Willie Green, Orlando; Andre Miller, Washington; Nazr Mohammed, Chicago; Jameer Nelson, Dallas; J.J. Redick, L.A. Clippers; Rajon Rondo, Boston

Which player is the fastest with the ball?
1. John Wall, Washington -- 40.7%
Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City -- 40.7%
3. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 11.1%
Also receiving votes: Ty Lawson, Denver; Rajon Rondo, Boston

Which player is the best passer?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 64.3%
2. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 10.7%
Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 10.7%
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota -- 10.7% 

Thoughts?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Celtics in the 2014 NBA GM Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'll bet I could score on Paul George right now.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He'd still probably block most guys shots here without jumping at the end of the he is still 6'8" with long arms.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Y'all know the drill. The NBA GM Poll goes out annually through NBA.com (it's where that "kelly olynyk was the biggest steal" factoid came from). Well it's out, and the Celtics have made some appearances, which I've collected for us to argue over, lament, celebrate and refer to, as the occasion warrants.

There are many other sections where Celtics staff/players did not earn any votes -- best basketball IQ, best coach, best rookie in five years, etc -- and if you're interested in those, you can find the full thing here:
http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/nba-com-2014-15-gm-survey/

edit: Now bolded for ease of identification.

Who will win the 2014-15 Rookie of the Year?
1. Jabari Parker, Milwaukee -- 75.0%
2. Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota -- 17.9%
Also receiving votes: Nerlens Noel, Philadelphia; Marcus Smart, Boston

Who is the best perimeter defender in the NBA?
1. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 25.0%
2. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio -- 21.4%
3. Tony Allen, Memphis -- 17.9%
4. Jimmy Butler, Chicago -- 7.1%
Andre Iguodala, Golden State -- 7.1%
Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 7.1%
Klay Thompson, Golden State -- 7.1%
Also receiving votes: Avery Bradley, Boston; Paul George, Indiana

Which active player will make the best head coach someday?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 24.0%
2. Steve Blake, Portland -- 12.0%
3. Kirk Hinrich, Chicago -- 8.0%
Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers -- 8.0%
4. Mike Conley, Memphis -- 6.0%
Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn -- 6.0%
Also receiving votes: Caron Butler, Detroit; Jared Dudley, Milwaukee; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio; Willie Green, Orlando; Andre Miller, Washington; Nazr Mohammed, Chicago; Jameer Nelson, Dallas; J.J. Redick, L.A. Clippers; Rajon Rondo, Boston

Which player is the fastest with the ball?
1. John Wall, Washington -- 40.7%
Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City -- 40.7%
3. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 11.1%
Also receiving votes: Ty Lawson, Denver; Rajon Rondo, Boston

Which player is the best passer?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 64.3%
2. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 10.7%
Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 10.7%
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota -- 10.7% 

Thoughts?

Rookie of the year...Smart being there probably means some think Rondo will be traded. If not, not enough minutes to win it.

Perimeter defender...I like Leonard the best and think James' perimeter defense is a bit overhyped.

Coach...Dunleavy Jr. He's a coaches son and has played under some great coaches, including Coach K in Duke.

Passing...I like Rubio the best, but he plays in the smallest of markets.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I can't find it right now, but I remember someone running some numbers that suggested LeBron's defense (as well as Miami's all around) had slipped a bit last year. Clearly the GM's who answered don't think that was a big deal.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can't find it right now, but I remember someone running some numbers that suggested LeBron's defense (as well as Miami's all around) had slipped a bit last year. Clearly the GM's who answered don't think that was a big deal.

I think he's amazing in chasing down blocks and playing the passing lanes, but I've always thought he was overrated in his lateral quickness defensively and his ability to prevent dribble penetration. I also think he greatly benefits from a generous whistle. Not many get away with what he gets away with.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't know enough about the coaching one but I don't really have an argument with the 1st place guys in the other four categories.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
He'd still probably block most guys shots here without jumping at the end of the he is still 6'8" with long arms.

You're probably right, I just found it curious he's still being thought of as a present tense player. Your post reminded me of the Scallenge, though :).

From this piece: Which team will win the Southeast Division?
1. Washington -- 59.3%
2. Miami -- 29.6%
3. Atlanta -- 7.4%
4. Charlotte -- 3.7%

I'm surprised at the disparity between Washington and Charlotte. That Washington is being considered by many as making a significant jump based off of Pierce and Kris Humphries baffles me. Conversely, I'm surprised more people aren't bullish on the Hornets with the offseason they had, combined with expected improvement from their younger guys.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Rookie of the year...Smart being there probably means some think Rondo will be traded. If not, not enough minutes to win it.

Just to put things in perspective, remember there's only 30 GMs in the NBA, and based on the various percentages given it means only 25-28 voted depending on the question

10.7% = 3 GMs voted for Rondo.

Also Receiving Votes = 1 GM voted for Rondo/Bradley/Smart in those various categories. 

So only 1 GM voting for Smart for ROY might mean only 1 GM thinks Rondo will be traded.  Danny must not be shopping Rondo after all  ;)

I always enjoy these, but can't read too much into these, since it's just a small population.  When you look at the questions like that. things like only 7 GMs think LeBron is the best perimeter defender don't sound as impressive to me.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jabari Parker getting 75% of the vote makes me feel better about myself taking him relatively early in my first fantasy draft.  I got sorta killed when I made the pick. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Just to put things in perspective, remember there's only 30 GMs in the NBA, and based on the various percentages given it means only 25-28 voted depending on the question

10.7% = 3 GMs voted for Rondo.

Also Receiving Votes = 1 GM voted for Rondo/Bradley/Smart in those various categories. 

So only 1 GM voting for Smart for ROY might mean only 1 GM thinks Rondo will be traded.  Danny must not be shopping Rondo after all  ;)

I always enjoy these, but can't read too much into these, since it's just a small population.  When you look at the questions like that. things like only 7 GMs think LeBron is the best perimeter defender don't sound as impressive to me.

Or he thinks Bradley will get injured and Smart will get a lot of minutes at the 2.  Or he thinks Smart is just that good and will command 25-30 minutes without an injury or trade opening up playing time.  I think I'm going for that last one.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Best strong safety - Marcus Smart

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
- Smart would win Rookie of the year if he got to start at the pg position for the whole season imo
- Klay Thompson ranked as a better defender than AB? what a joke

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
- Smart would win Rookie of the year if he got to start at the pg position for the whole season imo

I would LOVE for Smart to be ROY, but even if he were to start, I think he has Jabari to compete with. Honestly, I really think Jabari would take ROY this year

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope

Yeah I'm surprised Bradley was so low. I bet next year Bradley and Smart are both in the top 5.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens