Author Topic: Marcus Smart already one of the best  (Read 1273 times)

Marcus Smart already one of the best
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
From this Sports on Earth article about the NBA preseason: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/99181564/2014-15-nba-preseason-recap

4. Marcus Smart is already one of the best defensive guards in the NBA.

The gushing by Brad Stevens -- and multiple teammates, including Avery Bradley, who knows what good defense looks like -- is obviously a good sign. Better than that, though, is the empirical evidence. Heading into his career, we figured Smart would be able to handle his own on defense thanks to sheer physical ability, strength and quickness. We didn't know it would come together so quickly, how effective he'd look from day one.

The No. 6 overall pick in this year's draft has yet to do anything impressive with the ball, and Stevens replaced him with Evan Turner at point guard after the team's first couple games. But defense is a different book altogether. Smart bulldozes through screens, rarely gambles and does whatever it takes to make his assignment's night unforgettable in the the most inconvenient possible way. He's a steals machine, jumping passing lanes and already showcasing the instincts of someone with All-Defensive honors all but locked up (no pun intended) in his future. No point guard across the NBA will actively look forward to facing Smart this season.

Re: Marcus Smart already one of the best
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm the millionth guy to say this, but Smart is a baller.  Kid can definitely, definitely play.  That jumpshot is a big flaw but I like everything else about him so far.  Gonna be fun to watch the Rondo/Smart/Bradley trio harassing guards all year.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When is shot is on he is tough both ways, when it is not he is an elite defender but your playing 4 on 5 offense.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I love what they said about his defense. That is something to look forward to. I think ihs offense will be respectable at first and will get better.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
At last, the season is near. I can't wait!! Gotta subscribe to the league pass (living in NYC. . .  :-\)

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
When is shot is on he is tough both ways, when it is not he is an elite defender but your playing 4 on 5 offense.

I've seen him do other things on offense that make it not so much 4 on 5 as you state.  Distributing and facilitating like he does is pretty darn good for a 20 year old.   He can pass the ball and I think he easily averages 4-6 assists in his rookie campaign (a lot will depend on minutes, Rondo, etc.).

People will want him working on his shot day by day.  And undoubtedly he will.  I'd like him to focus in on shot selection.  That will be a more important part of his game right now.  Learning when to shoot, and when not to.