Author Topic: Why are people impressed by Philadelphia  (Read 11429 times)

Re: Why are people impressed by Philadelphia
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If he ends up having another year like he did last year, I would think that'd embolden him even more so to opt in.  If he's able to sustain that production over two seasons, what's a third season to him?  He's not a guy who relies on dunking and athleticism.  His game is all fundamentals.

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
If he ends up having another year like he did last year, I would think that'd embolden him even more so to opt in.  If he's able to sustain that production over two seasons, what's a third season to him?  He's not a guy who relies on dunking and athleticism.  His game is all fundamentals.

Well these are just my own sensibilities, but I think if he repeats this year, worst case scenario is he resigns with Cha for 5/80. That's worst case. I just couldn't pass that up, not with all of the things that could go wrong in 12 months.

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think Minni may have done a better job at rebuilding than Philly. Flip saw Love about to head out and he worked it.

Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Bennett/Dieng. Thats not a bad young line up, raw as heck, but tons of potential.

We were all crapping on Flip and he's jump started the franchise pretty well if they all hit their potential. Philly has three bigs they have to work with and a mediocre PG. They may not get much for one of the bigs in a trade if it starts to get jammed up in minutes. It will end up being the highest low bidder. I would be surprised if they could pull off a haul. Plus as of right now Noel and Embiid are nice prospects, but I haven't seen franchise player on ether one. Both haven't played enough to really show anything. They could both have the same chance to be average players in the league as they do being franchise changers.

I like Minni's youngs over Philly's, Quick and athletic and oh yeah, healthy!

Bravo, this is a really good point. The much maligned Saunders has established a franchise with more upside, more current success and no injury woes. Adding injury to insuult, they got a starting caliber sf for nothing from the dumpster fires.

Does everyone completely realize these great prospects dropped because they were injured and there is a significant amount of risk involved? Did Philly suddenly hire the Phoenix Suns training staff?

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The Evan Turner signing makes a lot more sense if you view him as a cheap short-term replacement for Green leaving.

That thinking makes sense mainly only if there is a destination in mind that Green 'wants' to go to.

Part of that is because of his player option ('means he can for now control the salary commitment of any team he goes to which makes it difficult to set a trade price on him) and the other part of that is that Turner and Green both have the same agent (David Falk).

It seems unlikely that Falk would bring Turner in to the Celtics to enable moving Green unless Green wanted to be moved.

All that is not to say that Green wants to be moved or not.   Just that I wouldn't necessarily assume that replacing Green is why Turner was brought in.

Even if we aren't talking about a trade and are just talking about Turner being a replacement after Green walks if he opts-out, that still would not be in Falk's client's best interests (if Green didn't want to leave to another team as FA) because it decreases Ainge's incentive to bid for Green.

To this point, and probably for the near future, Green has made and will make Falk a lot more money than Turner.  Falk has himself spoken at length in interviews about how strongly he emphasizes loyalty between himself and the players he represents.   So it would seem odd for him to want to set up one of his players to the disadvantage of another.   So that implies that maybe the plan for Turner is not in that direction.

Though I fully admit, I'm still scratching my head on it.

Of course, if Danny were easy to figure out, he'd suck as a GM.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Expiring contracts are less valuable than ever. Take for instance Cleveland, who had to give up Zeller and a 1st rd pick to unload Thornton's expiring deal.

Technically, they gave up Zeller and a pick to unload Jarrett Jack's non-expiring contract.  Marcus Thornton's expiring contract just made the Celtics more willing to be the third team to facilitate that deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Well these are just my own sensibilities, but I think if he repeats this year, worst case scenario is he resigns with Cha for 5/80. That's worst case. I just couldn't pass that up, not with all of the things that could go wrong in 12 months.

For certain, you have a valid point.  Just saying I think his agent might steer him in the opposite direction.  We'll see next summer, though.

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Expiring contracts are less valuable than ever. Take for instance Cleveland, who had to give up Zeller and a 1st rd pick to unload Thornton's expiring deal.

Technically, they gave up Zeller and a pick to unload Jarrett Jack's non-expiring contract.  Marcus Thornton's expiring contract just made the Celtics more willing to be the third team to facilitate that deal.

You're right, but it also means that the Nets couldn't get anything more for Thornton's expiring deal than taking on multiple years of Jack. Not too many teams are saddled with bad contracts, so the value of expiring deals has greatly diminished.

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
It was more that Cleveland wanted to dump Jack (needed the cap space for LeBron) than it was that the Nets wanted to trade Thornton.  The Nets were just a willing partner because they needed a suitable replacement for Livingston.

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2014, 02:20:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You're right, but it also means that the Nets couldn't get anything more for Thornton's expiring deal than taking on multiple years of Jack. Not too many teams are saddled with bad contracts, so the value of expiring deals has greatly diminished.

The main value in a team having expiring contracts isn't that the team can flip the player for a bad contract, it's so you can match salaries with a trade partner without the other team having to take on long term deals. The Nets don't really have a lot of assets to pair with Thornton in a bigger deal, so they traded him for a player they like more.

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Why were people impressed with what Ainge did in 2007? He traded for two stars and in turn traded all of his young talent for a three year window. By the end of that window they were out played by a much better Lakers squad and a much better Heat squad. Now I will say this. The Heat did the same type of deal only they were much more successful with it due to having the GOAT on their team, LeBron James. I want the Boston Celtics to have a 10 year window, not 3. Getting 18-19 year old talent you pretty much hold their rights for 8 years. I could care less if fans feel that 1 year is going to be wasted. I would rather pay them to develop than get killed by the Cavs in the playoffs.

For mid market teams like Boston and Philadelphia in the Northeast this is the ONLY real way to get an MVP level player. You have to draft smart which one GM in Philly did and one in Boston has not. Banks 2.0 is a good defensive player, much like Bradley. However Bradley was taken outside of the lottery while Banks 2.0 was taken high in a loaded draft. Essentially you drafted Avery Bradley minus a jump shot higher than Bradley was actually drafted. Injury non withstanding Randle was the clear cut choice over Banks 2.0. A draft mistake like that is what actually wastes multiple years, not necessarily tanking.

If this was the Lakers we were talking about then the word Tanking would never come out of my mouth. The Lakers are widely regarded as the premier NBA franchise in history. If the Celtics were in warmer weather and free agents wanted to come here then it would still probably be them. However, the reason why this model works is for mid market teams that cannot attract talent in free agency. It's really the only model you can use to get stars to join your team if you're up in the Northeast or somewhere like Utah or OKC.

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Lakers are basically doing the same ....... Spending money .....but not on winning players ....they are going for the Lottery .......

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Because It's always sunny in Philadelphia.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi