Author Topic: Why are people impressed by Philadelphia  (Read 11462 times)

Re: Why are people impressed by Philadelphia
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
To be fair, you can't assume that Philly would've executed the trade for the sixth pick if Noel weren't on the board.  They specifically targeted Noel -- and reportedly, they would've done the deal if either Bennett or Oladipo were still on the board.

The jury's still out on Bennett, but Oladipo looks to have a promising future.  And I'm not sure where you get the idea that they would've ended up drafting Parker, since it was pretty clear ahead of the draft that Milwaukee coveted Parker and was leaning towards drafting him.  Philly truly wanted Wiggins all along and likely would've been able to draft him had Embiid not slipped.  That would leave them with a core of MCW/Oladipo or Bennett/Wiggins.  That's not too terrible and probably better than what they currently have, due to the uncertainty surrounding the health of both Noel and Embiid.

And even if they ended up drafting Parker, that's still not too bad.  MCW/Oladipo/Parker and then a number of big men prospects projected as top picks in the 2015 draft? Could've been really interesting.  Scoring and perimeter defense would've already been taken care of, so they would've had their pick of the litter as far as interior presence.
Once they get through the tanking phase, it is fair to assume that they will spend some money to get players (their current budget is a joke), and build a proper team.
Of course, at this stage, no one can ignore the possibility that Hinkie is a through and through paranoiac on his way to create a perennial tank. If this is the case, it is about time Philly fans hired a sniper.  :'(

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Hinkie is absolutely killing it. He got the best prospect in last year's draft (Noel), the best prospect in this year's draft by far (Embiid), he reamed the Magic trading down two spots for a first and a second round pick (!), and oh, he managed to snag KJ McDaniels in round two. MCW was also a great pick.
See my post from page 1 to know why Hinkie is NOT "killing it".  he's been lucky that the 2 players that are so highly prized fell into his lap

I would add that they lucked in to Noel and Embiid, both of which would have been gone by the time Philly picked if they were healthy.  In 2013, they'd likely end up with either Bennett or Len --> either is much less impressive than Noel as a prospect -- to pair with a mediocre PG in MCW who happened to win ROY in a weak rookie class.   in 2014, they likely get Parker, which was nothing to sneeze at.

but a haul of Len/MCW/Parker would change a number of perspectives on Philly's outlook for the future.   a longshot center prospect, a mediocre PG and a SF that can score but not defend looks a lot less impressive in terms of rebuilding.

you can say that Hinkie was lucky to get Embiid at #3, I can say that they were unlucky to pick #3 instead of top-2. Fact is that other GM's just didn't have the balls to take him or Noel for that matter, and Hinkie did. And that trade with the Magic, it's hard to be unimpressed. Btw if we're discounting luck, Len would've been a nice pick too, it's just unlucky that he's been so hampered by injuries himself.

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The single most likely scenario for the 76ers was to pick 4th actually. They had about 60% chance to not be top 2.

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
There's no real reason to stretch Wallace's contract.

Sure there is. If Green doesn't opt in, combined with the expected cap rise next year, we would have the  cap room to sign a free agent. We have the option of stretching Wallace's contract over the next 3 seasons at roughly 3.3M per season. While that may sound significant, it really isn't when you consider the percentage it will take up of our a cap. A cap that will be around 80M-90M under the new CBA.

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

See there's their problem - too many crosseyed players.  Savvy Hinkie, real savvy.

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think Minni may have done a better job at rebuilding than Philly. Flip saw Love about to head out and he worked it.

Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Bennett/Dieng. Thats not a bad young line up, raw as heck, but tons of potential.

We were all crapping on Flip and he's jump started the franchise pretty well if they all hit their potential. Philly has three bigs they have to work with and a mediocre PG. They may not get much for one of the bigs in a trade if it starts to get jammed up in minutes. It will end up being the highest low bidder. I would be surprised if they could pull off a haul. Plus as of right now Noel and Embiid are nice prospects, but I haven't seen franchise player on ether one. Both haven't played enough to really show anything. They could both have the same chance to be average players in the league as they do being franchise changers.

I like Minni's youngs over Philly's, Quick and athletic and oh yeah, healthy!

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not to mention, Minnesota also has Thad Young to dangle around at the trade deadline for more assets.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To be fair, you can't assume that Philly would've executed the trade for the sixth pick if Noel weren't on the board.  They specifically targeted Noel -- and reportedly, they would've done the deal if either Bennett or Oladipo were still on the board.

The jury's still out on Bennett, but Oladipo looks to have a promising future.  And I'm not sure where you get the idea that they would've ended up drafting Parker, since it was pretty clear ahead of the draft that Milwaukee coveted Parker and was leaning towards drafting him.  Philly truly wanted Wiggins all along and likely would've been able to draft him had Embiid not slipped.  That would leave them with a core of MCW/Oladipo or Bennett/Wiggins.  That's not too terrible and probably better than what they currently have, due to the uncertainty surrounding the health of both Noel and Embiid.

And even if they ended up drafting Parker, that's still not too bad.  MCW/Oladipo/Parker and then a number of big men prospects projected as top picks in the 2015 draft?  Could've been really interesting.  Scoring and perimeter defense would've already been taken care of, so they would've had their pick of the litter as far as interior presence.
Parker or Wiggins - didn't matter for my point which was Embiid wouldn't have been there to pick had he not been injured pre-draft

No one's really excited about Bennett or Oladipo even thought they may pan out as good players. 

but the point with Noel is that if he were healthy, he doesn't last to #6 and Philly isn't likely to get a team with that higher pick to trade him.  If they don't make the trade in the first place to move Holiday for whomever was available with the NO pick, does Philly even blow it up like they did.  if not, this whole thread is a moot point.

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hinkie is absolutely killing it. He got the best prospect in last year's draft (Noel), the best prospect in this year's draft by far (Embiid), he reamed the Magic trading down two spots for a first and a second round pick (!), and oh, he managed to snag KJ McDaniels in round two. MCW was also a great pick.
See my post from page 1 to know why Hinkie is NOT "killing it".  he's been lucky that the 2 players that are so highly prized fell into his lap

I would add that they lucked in to Noel and Embiid, both of which would have been gone by the time Philly picked if they were healthy.  In 2013, they'd likely end up with either Bennett or Len --> either is much less impressive than Noel as a prospect -- to pair with a mediocre PG in MCW who happened to win ROY in a weak rookie class.   in 2014, they likely get Parker, which was nothing to sneeze at.

but a haul of Len/MCW/Parker would change a number of perspectives on Philly's outlook for the future.   a longshot center prospect, a mediocre PG and a SF that can score but not defend looks a lot less impressive in terms of rebuilding.

you can say that Hinkie was lucky to get Embiid at #3, I can say that they were unlucky to pick #3 instead of top-2. Fact is that other GM's just didn't have the balls to take him or Noel for that matter, and Hinkie did. And that trade with the Magic, it's hard to be unimpressed. Btw if we're discounting luck, Len would've been a nice pick too, it's just unlucky that he's been so hampered by injuries himself.
you can say that.  you'd be wrong but you can still say that.

every year the draft has some team jump into the top 3 with 1 year being the exception.  Philly sliding to 3 had to be expected based on how prior drafts have gone.  They could be considered fortunate for not sliding to the 4th pick.  for where Noel and Embiid were drafted considering who else was still on the board, he'd have been an idiot NOT to take them

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Sure there is. If Green doesn't opt in, combined with the expected cap rise next year, we would have the  cap room to sign a free agent. We have the option of stretching Wallace's contract over the next 3 seasons at roughly 3.3M per season. While that may sound significant, it really isn't when you consider the percentage it will take up of our a cap. A cap that will be around 80M-90M under the new CBA.

But then you lose the flexibility of having Wallace as an expiring contract, not to mention that there aren't really any free agents of note scheduled for next year, unless you've got a real hard on for Greg Monroe. Wallace serves more of a purpose as an active presence on our roster and as an expiring next year than he does being waived and taking up incremental space on our cap for years to come.

You'll notice I said 'real reason,' not 'no reason whatsoever.'  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

But then you lose the flexibility of having Wallace as an expiring contract, not to mention that there aren't really any free agents of note scheduled for next year, unless you've got a real hard on for Greg Monroe. Wallace serves more of a purpose as an active presence on our roster and as an expiring next year than he does being waived and taking up incremental space on our cap for years to come.

You'll notice I said 'real reason,' not 'no reason whatsoever.'  ;)

Expiring contracts are less valuable than ever. Take for instance Cleveland, who had to give up Zeller and a 1st rd pick to unload Thornton's expiring deal.

I do think Monroe would be a nice target. Would love to be able to add players in the summer before the new salary cap soars. Other unrestricted free agent big man targets would be Jordan, Gasol, Asik, Aldridge, and R. Lopez, with Kanter being the lone restricted free agent. Obviously all those players come with different percentages of likelihood, but if the opportunity presents itself to land any of those then Wallace would be stretched and it wouldn't kill us down the line. In fact, we'd barely feel it.

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I think it's a safe bet Big Al opts out this summer.

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think it's a safe bet Big Al opts out this summer.

Why?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, if anything, it makes more sense for him to opt in since his game is unlikely to fall off a cliff and he can negotiate for a new contract in 2016 with the increased cap.

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Yeah, if anything, it makes more sense for him to opt in since his game is unlikely to fall off a cliff and he can negotiate for a new contract in 2016 with the increased cap.

Well what's unlikely? I just think if he has another year like the last one, he'll be a lock to get a max deal somewhere. I wouldn't turn down the security of a 70-100 mil contract to risk another year of wear and tear, all just to head into the summer of '16 as a 31 and a half year old to get even more money.