2 (8%)
Yes, but the price is too high
6 (24%)
Not loving it ):
5 (20%)
Are you nuts ???? This is horrible
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Trade for Pekovic  (Read 3608 times)

Trade for Pekovic
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
It seems like a given these days that we are most lacking in the Center position. How would you rate this trade:

Boston Sends to Minni : Gerald Wallace / Marcus Smart / Boston 2015 + 2016 1st Round Draft Picks
Boston Receives: Nikola Pekovic

Why for Boston?
Pek is a HUGE upgrade in center. He may not be the defensive stopper we crave, but he is a very good rebounder on both ends, he eats up space in the paint and is a very smart player. He is also a legit threat down low. Pek is 28 - same as Rondo which gives us a good 4-6 year run with him. He is also signed to a very reasonable deal for 3 years. With Pek on board, and Wallace's contract gone, we can sign one more impact player to become a contender.

Why for Minni?
With the emergance of Deng, Pek is a luxury Minni should cash in on - to free up dollars and minutes. Wallace's contract is nearly over, and they so far from Cap it doesn't matter. 

Drafting Smart is huge for them. He is a PG -  a position where they are the weakest. With Rubio expiring this gives the leverage / backup plan. Huge upgrade on defense / athleticism (a Smart Wiggins back court is a nightmare no NBA back court wants to face).

The draft picks are just a sweetener - but exactly the type of thing rebuilding teams want

Boston would have a lineup of

Rondo
Bradly
Green
Sully
Pek

With
KO, ET, Thornton coming off the bench. Next year, we sign a bona fida scorer at SF (old pal Gerald Green?) to add some more offensive firepower on the perimeter, plus we still have a ton of draft picks to play with.

Your thoughts?

Re: Trade for Pekovic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:40 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
i love Pek but Smart is our future PG, future of Celtics, not for him...

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:11:49 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think Pek is a very good target but the package is a bit too much for him. Smart has a lot of potential, our pick this year is not going to be bad either.

I'd do it for Wallace, Kelly, Clippers 1st 2015, Philly 2nd round 2015 (could play with the picks if necessary).

It gives the Wolves a 4/5 with potential in Kelly, a shorter deal then the 4 years of Pek in Wallace and  picks for a Center that does not fit with the rebuilding.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Maybe if the draft goes poorly you look at something like this, I worry we'd do this and land Karl Towns or Okafor.   I think it makes more sense to play out this season that go for a slighty above average center in a trade.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
i love Pek but Smart is our future PG, future of Celtics, not for him...

I LOVE Smart - but he is a long way away from Rondo's level. Remeber - last time we saw a healthy Rondo he was single handedly beating an in-his-prime Wade and carrying the C's against the champion heat. He was def top 10 player in the league and arguably the best PG.

Smart could one day be as good as Rondo - but if you love winning basketball, retaining a happy motivated Rondo is a good idea.

Also - a key of the trade is getting rid of Wallace - we would be entering next season with only 32 - 35 mil on the books and could sign Rondo to about $15M with plenty of room for another $15M player on the roster. If Minny doesn't eat Wallace's contract, I would def know off a draft pick or two.....

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
LOL ....no,way

Smart probably top three Rookie in the making .   He is improving by leaps and bounds .  He maybe trade bait ...but DA is holding his cards on this .....Smarts value is going up ......he maybe worth a serious BIG one day . 

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This trade idea isn't as unbalanced as it seems at first blush, simply due to the fact getting any team to take on Wallace's contract is going to require a 1st round pick itself.

Also, in theory, this trade would hopefully have us improving to the point those picks would no longer be lottery picks, thus we really wouldn't be losing out too much in that regard. But I'd still be super hesitant to include Smart on the deal, and would probably try to send them one of Sully/Oly, or maybe even Bradley.

The problem is, I don't think adding Pekovic puts us 'over the top'. Pek would be a bad fit next to Sully/Oly, as neither are very good defenders or particularly athletic. We'd still be lacking a true 'rim protector'.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's puke. You're giving up way too much. You could get Roy Hibbert or Al Horford for that haul and more. The 76ers would take Wallace next year for the Cleveland pick.

The Wolves are going young and will want to trade Pekovic, and we'd give up a a steal #6 rookie who's potentially an all NBA defensive player and All Star amongst other valuable assets.

Injury riddled, defensively flawed center.
Pekovic is worth a bit but not Marcus Smart and two first round draft picks.

We just tanked the season and went through all that crap to give up Marcus Smart AND our 15', 16' picks for Nikola Pekovic?

That would be like waking from a nightmare to an even worse nightmare.

No thanks.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Way too much for Pek. I do like Pek and he is a force downlow, especially on offense....

But I don't see how he fits our squad. Putting Pek alongside Sully and KO is a terrible slow and terribly efficient defensive threesome. Pek and Love did nothing of note on the defensive end in Minny and that wouldn't change if he was paired up next to a Sully.

Pek would be most efficient next to an Ibaka (obviously a lot of centers would) or a defensive hustle guy. In our run and gun, get up and down the floor, move the ball and get up shots early style offense with Stevens, I don't think Pek would fit in all that well.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It seems like a given these days that we are most lacking in the Center position. How would you rate this trade:

Boston Sends to Minni : Gerald Wallace / Marcus Smart / Boston 2015 + 2016 1st Round Draft Picks
Boston Receives: Nikola Pekovic

Why for Boston?
Pek is a HUGE upgrade in center. He may not be the defensive stopper we crave, but he is a very good rebounder on both ends, he eats up space in the paint and is a very smart player. He is also a legit threat down low. Pek is 28 - same as Rondo which gives us a good 4-6 year run with him. He is also signed to a very reasonable deal for 3 years. With Pek on board, and Wallace's contract gone, we can sign one more impact player to become a contender.

Why for Minni?
With the emergance of Deng, Pek is a luxury Minni should cash in on - to free up dollars and minutes. Wallace's contract is nearly over, and they so far from Cap it doesn't matter. 

Drafting Smart is huge for them. He is a PG -  a position where they are the weakest. With Rubio expiring this gives the leverage / backup plan. Huge upgrade on defense / athleticism (a Smart Wiggins back court is a nightmare no NBA back court wants to face).

The draft picks are just a sweetener - but exactly the type of thing rebuilding teams want

Boston would have a lineup of

Rondo
Bradly
Green
Sully
Pek

With
KO, ET, Thornton coming off the bench. Next year, we sign a bona fida scorer at SF (old pal Gerald Green?) to add some more offensive firepower on the perimeter, plus we still have a ton of draft picks to play with.

Your thoughts?
To give so much for a Center would only make sense if he were a top 5 Center in the League, which Pek is not. Moreover, there is a decent chance we get a good Center through the draft (next year's is full with them). 

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Seems like a pretty big overpay.  I'm also not sure I'd want him next to Sully/KO.  Still gonna create issues on the defensive end.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Wow. A proposed trade on CB where the Celtics are the ones overpaying.

That said, it would probably take a package like this to get it done, considering what the Wolves were able to haul from Love.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »

Offline Boston3334356

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I would do Wallace the 2015 1st round pick from the clippers and Vitor for Pek.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This trade idea isn't as unbalanced as it seems at first blush, simply due to the fact getting any team to take on Wallace's contract is going to require a 1st round pick itself.

Also, in theory, this trade would hopefully have us improving to the point those picks would no longer be lottery picks, thus we really wouldn't be losing out too much in that regard. But I'd still be super hesitant to include Smart on the deal, and would probably try to send them one of Sully/Oly, or maybe even Bradley.

The problem is, I don't think adding Pekovic puts us 'over the top'. Pek would be a bad fit next to Sully/Oly, as neither are very good defenders or particularly athletic. We'd still be lacking a true 'rim protector'.
I generally agree with this evaluation of the trade proposal. If I'm going all in on a trade for a center, I want it to be a defense-first center. Pekovic would certainly be a huge upgrade at center, but I think we should look at a better fit to complement Sullinger and Olynyk. I'm not opposed to including Smart in a big trade if I think that Rondo will extend.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Indiana is not making the playoffs.

(ooops wrong thread. Whatever)