Author Topic: Sullinger 2014-2015 Statistics  (Read 11803 times)

Re: Sullinger 2014-2015 Statistics
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Debating any of the "predictions" no matter the numbers is stretching it. People shouldn't bother, just post their own predictions and be done with it.

Well, I think some of them are a bit outlandish.  I don't think its an issue to address those.  Especially if you're pulling out numbers to explain that something like 8 guys in the history of the NBA have accomplished it.

But what is the point of addressing it if the poster believes that will be his stat? Sure some stats seem more unlikely than others but they are simply giving their personal opinion which was the OP's question. They answered a prediction question they are not wrong till the season is over.

It's an online message board.  Everything is open for debate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Debating any of the "predictions" no matter the numbers is stretching it. People shouldn't bother, just post their own predictions and be done with it.

Well, I think some of them are a bit outlandish.  I don't think its an issue to address those.  Especially if you're pulling out numbers to explain that something like 8 guys in the history of the NBA have accomplished it.

Nobody on here posted any predictions like that, nobody, making your claim of "outlandishness" outlandish. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Nobody on here posted any predictions like that, nobody, making your claim of "outlandishness" outlandish.

You really need to stop being so sensitive to things.  You seem to take issue with some of the more realist things posted on these boards since they're not so "uppity" or optimistic.

A stat line was brought up where it was subsequently illustrated by D.O.S. that something like 8 guys in the HISTORY of the NBA have accomplished.   

See page 2 of this very thread and then try and tell me it was never brought up. Sheesh.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

But what is the point of addressing it if the poster believes that will be his stat? Sure some stats seem more unlikely than others but they are simply giving their personal opinion which was the OP's question. They answered a prediction question they are not wrong till the season is over.

Lol all opinion things are but debating somethings like a prediction have little worth, point, or are simply unnecessary.

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Lol all opinion things are but debating somethings like a prediction have little worth, point, or are simply unnecessary.

And in the big picture, you're probably right.  Ha.. we need something to keep us busy on these boards, right?

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

And in the big picture, you're probably right.  Ha.. we need something to keep us busy on these boards, right?
Yes, we kind of do. Where is our Fire Works? That would have gave us plenty.  Darn you Flip! Darn you LeBron!

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
What do you guys think Sullinger will average this season?

During the preseason, Sully averaged roughly 14.8 pts, 10.8 rebs, 3.9 asts, 1.3 stl, in 26 mins. per game.

Considering he'll probably play roughly 32 minutes per game, I think he'll average right around 18 pts, 10 rebs, and 3 assists a game. I think the addition of Rondo in the lineup will give him a couple more easy looks at the rim per game and increase his preseason scoring output.

What do you guys think?
OK, this will sound obnoxious, but I am really not doing it on purpose.
Statistics is the study of the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation and organization of data.
Since we have no data here best thing we could is a prediction. But since no one is going to get in the trouble to actually spend a couple of hours working on previous years' data to make a serious projection, we are talking about pure speculation.
Nothing wrong with that, but let's keep our cool, because there is only a thin line separating speculation from BS.

Boy, someone needs to get off of their high horse.  You're making a semantic argument when there is obviously two differing uses of the words.  In fact, the word itself wasn't even in my post, though it was in the title, but it's obvious that I was meaning the general sense of the term instead of the academic sense.

However, your argument is off in other areas, as well. You claim there is no data, but I provided the pre-season averages and extrapolated from there.  It wasn't a pure extrapolation, because the numbers don't match between the amount of minutes played.  So, there was some reasoning behind the prediction.

Lastly, you claim that it was "pure speculation." However, pure speculation is defined as conjecture without evidence.  I provided what amounts to probably the most relevant evidence available, preseason averages with last year's averages also in mind, so your argument all-in-all is pretentious and misguided.  This is a freaking blog for casual Celtics fans; get off of your high horse and stop acting so pedantic.

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Whatever his numbers turn out to be, I'm just hopeful that they aren't hollow like latter day Boozer and Stoudamire. There are of course players, especially bigs, whose defense is so atrocious that despite putting up good numbers, their teams are better off when they're not on the court.

I just don't want to see Sully become another statistic (guy).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:57:32 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

You really need to stop being so sensitive to things.  You seem to take issue with some of the more realist things posted on these boards since they're not so "uppity" or optimistic.

A stat line was brought up where it was subsequently illustrated by D.O.S. that something like 8 guys in the HISTORY of the NBA have accomplished.   

See page 2 of this very thread and then try and tell me it was never brought up. Sheesh.

Sorry for being so sensitive as to bring facts into your realism.  The highest stats posted for Sully for next season (by only one person, mind you, who admitted it was a bit of a stretch) was 18 points and 12 rebounds.  I did a quick check on BasketballReference and found at least sixteen guys who put up those numbers going back to the mid 80s.  That's as far as I bothered to go. 

I don't take issue with realism.  I really don't. I take issue with distortion of the truth to try to further your own argument.  If that makes me "uppity," then, I'll own up to being uppity. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sorry for being so sensitive as to bring facts into your realism.  The highest stats posted for Sully for next season (by only one person, mind you, who admitted it was a bit of a stretch) was 18 points and 12 rebounds.  I did a quick check on BasketballReference and found at least sixteen guys who put up those numbers going back to the mid 80s.  That's as far as I bothered to go. 

I don't take issue with realism.  I really don't. I take issue with distortion of the truth to try to further your own argument.  If that makes me "uppity," then, I'll own up to being uppity.

Whatever floats your boat. I was directly addressing the stat line that DOS was addressing in his link.  Would you call those facts? If that's as far as he went, is that okay too?

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Whatever floats your boat. I was directly addressing the stat line that DOS was addressing in his link.  Would you call those facts? If that's as far as he went, is that okay too?

You made a mistake based on second hand information posted by somebody else.  I corrected you.  You got in a tizzy about it.

And I'm the sensitive one?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Classic CelticsBlog... debating whether or not you can debate something  ;D
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

You made a mistake based on second hand information posted by somebody else.  I corrected you.  You got in a tizzy about it.

And I'm the sensitive one?
No he didn't. Hptanzo suggested the line that D.O.S. examined. If you're going to accuse people of factual incorrectness you should be sure of your own point. Hptanzo isn't "nobody", nor did he suggest 18-12 it was 18-12-3 see below. D.O.S search does show that 8 players have achieved that based on his BBallRef search.

I'm going with 18 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists. Points may be an overestimate, but the way he's rebounding, I think 12 a game is spot on, 10 is an underestimate.

Will he be an all-star? No, our team will still suck and there are too many PFs with more fan appeal and more established amongst coaches.

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Not sure if Sully could average 20 pts a game with this team's current roster, however I'm fairly confident with 32ish mins a game he'll definitely average double digit rebounds. I think an efficient 16/10 is a good projection for him, modest gains with more playing time. By efficient I mean that he'll hit more 3s/take better shots and shoot far better than 42% for the year.

I do think Sully is capable of being a 20/10 player down the road. I just don't see it this year with AB and Green on the roster. Green is probably (sadly) still our #1 option and AB thinks he is so..

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think 16-9-1.8 in about 30 minutes per game sounds about right. That's my optimistic projection for him. Similar production in 30 minutes with an uptick in shooting efficiency.