Author Topic: A better way to improve NBA games  (Read 5616 times)

Re: A better way to improve NBA games
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I prefer this approach: In the final two minutes, the team fouled in a non-shooting foul can choose to shoot shots (assuming they are in the bonus) or to take the ball out of bounds. If they choose to take the ball out of bounds and the shot clock is below 14, it gets set to 14 seconds. In this case, fouling only hurts you unless you are insanely good at defending inbounds plays. If not, you may never get the ball back as the shot clock would always get reset to 14 seconds.

The downside to this is that it removes the punishment for bringing poor free throw shooters into the game. Howard will be able to defend and even take part in the offense in that final minute. If you foul him with the ball, his team will just take the ball out of bounds.

Mathematically, you should let Howard take the shots if he is fouled in that scenario.  You'd probably have to be at the (significantly worse) Deandre Jordan/Andre Drummond tier of free throw shooters to even think about passing up the free throws.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »

Offline scientific_thinker

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Chriss22, I like the idea of widening of the courts but that would cost a fortune.

LooseCannon, that kind of game would just take longer. We already have this with overtime.

I am surprised by the reaction I am getting. Most pickup games are played to points. We already have some idea of what games played this way would be like. Having played timed games and playing to points I think playing to points is more exciting from beginning to end.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The fix is easy. Teams should play to 100 points. First quarter is over when the first team reaches 25. Half time is when the first team reaches 50 and so on.

Could be a long game on a bad shooting night so people would not like it.   And on a hot night 33 three point shots and your done so could be a short night.

How about the people who do not like basketball find another sport?   That way the guys who do like it don't have to listen to people trying to change the game to a souped up playground game.   Maybe you should invent a game like BASEketball?

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Celtics4ever

It is ok to disagree with someone without being insulting.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
LooseCannon, that kind of game would just take longer. We already have this with overtime.

How much longer?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk

How much longer?

We don't know. We don't know how long NBA games will go now with the possibility of multiple overtimes.

Also, they don't have to play to 100 points if that takes too long. I just threw that number out there as a starting point.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
I prefer this approach: In the final two minutes, the team fouled in a non-shooting foul can choose to shoot shots (assuming they are in the bonus) or to take the ball out of bounds. If they choose to take the ball out of bounds and the shot clock is below 14, it gets set to 14 seconds. In this case, fouling only hurts you unless you are insanely good at defending inbounds plays. If not, you may never get the ball back as the shot clock would always get reset to 14 seconds.

The downside to this is that it removes the punishment for bringing poor free throw shooters into the game. Howard will be able to defend and even take part in the offense in that final minute. If you foul him with the ball, his team will just take the ball out of bounds.

I like this idea and the downside you bring up isn't so bad. I would rather see the best players at the end of games rather than the best free throw shooters.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Awarding automatic two points and kept possession for non shooting fouls if a team is in the penalty and trailing by more than one possession. 
Yup

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
would most likely put a premium on offensively-skilled players.  issue with that is it doesn't speed up  the game.  look at the average scores of games now.  a lot of teams don't break 100 in regulation. 

keep the concept of the game at a time limit.

You might be right. Limiting possessions with defense and time consuming half court offense will no longer be an effective strategy. Defense will still be important. The best way to catchup when behind in points is to play good defense. The best way to extend a lead is to play defense.

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Awarding automatic two points and kept possession for non shooting fouls if a team is in the penalty and trailing by more than one possession.

I think that would work too but wouldn't it be easier to just play to a point total? I think playing to a point total would take the end of the game away from the refs and give it to the players.

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
* Make intentional fouls - free throws + possession - to stop incessant fouling at end of games.
* Do not allow teams to advance possession after timeouts.

How about this - instead of a guy following another player at the end of the game to stop the clock and put the opposition on the line, why not call those fouls for what they actually are - intentional fouls, where you get 2 shots and the ball.  That would stop teams from hacking guys all the time, and the only way to circumvent getting called for an intentional foul is if the guy who does the fouling actually attempts to get at the ball.  I don't know why guys just give fouls like that when they could force a jump ball, but whatever.  Thoughts?

I like the two shots and possession of the ball idea. I think this would work too (and it appears to be more popular than my idea).

* Do not allow teams to advance possession after timeouts.

Not advancing the ball after timeouts seems like a nobrainer. I wonder why the NBA does this in the first place.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think all this discussion, triggered by the 44-minute "experimental" game the C's participated in, depends on how you define the problem. Is the season too long, or the games too long or just end of games too long? What is the problem we are trying to solve?

I think fundamentally the NBA ought to be focusing on developing a better entertainment product out on the floor, and that will keep fans coming back, watching on TV, and generally showing greater interest in the game.  IMO the best way to do that is to make sure players get the proper rest between games and try to cut the sting of a sometimes brutal travel schedule.

At the same time, most people really don't want to change the basic rules and regulations because the game history would be shaken. So here is my proposal:

1. Cut back pre-season to five games.
2. Start the season mid-October.
3. No more than one back-to-back per month (7-8 total for season, not 14-18 as is now)
4. No more than 3 games in 5 nights
5. Cut back first round playoffs to best of five.
6. No changes in length of games, number of regular season games or any basic on-court rules

Players will be better rested and will perform better on the court.  The pre-season is too long as is and players generally come to camp in better shape today as compared to years ago. Having only best of five in the first round moves the playoffs along a bit faster.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 12:48:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I think that would work too but wouldn't it be easier to just play to a point total? I think playing to a point total would take the end of the game away from the refs and give it to the players.

I loved playing to point totals in pick up.  I actually organized a competitive intramural league in that format and it worked out great. We played to 21, win by 2, max 25, but that was 1 pointers.

Nba maybe Games to 100, have to win by 2.
Yup

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 05:36:01 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
Just make it that if you are over the limit and foul, the other side gets one shot and retains posession, shot clock gets sreset to 14 if it is under that. The intentional fouls that aren't called late in games where the player just wraps up the person with the ball with no real intent other than to foul are a blight on the game I think.

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 05:49:24 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Cutting commercial breaks = ads on jerseys.

Which I personally would be fine with.

Though they're probably going to do both ads on jerseys and ridiculously downtime to maximize revenues.