Author Topic: A better way to improve NBA games  (Read 5628 times)

A better way to improve NBA games
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »

Offline scientific_thinker

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
So, they tried the 44 minute games with less timeouts.

I don't think this will fix anything. I think the worst thing about watching NBA games is the the close games end slowly with lots of timeouts, fowls and free throws. I don't think I am the only one that finds this boring.

The fix is easy. Teams should play to 100 points. First quarter is over when the first team reaches 25. Half time is when the first team reaches 50 and so on.

This would make the end of games more exciting to watch where athleticism and basketball skills will be more important than free throws for winning close games.

I am curious what others think.

Re: A better way to improve NBA games
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This would be a different game. The ramifications of unintended consequences are too vast to even speculate.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the worst thing about watching NBA games is the the close games end slowly with lots of timeouts, fowls and free throws. I don't think I am the only one that finds this boring.

* Lower number of timeouts available to teams
* Make intentional fouls - free throws + possession - to stop incessant fouling at end of games.
* Do not allow teams to advance possession after timeouts.

That would do it.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So, they tried the 44 minute games with less timeouts.

I don't think this will fix anything. I think the worst thing about watching NBA games is the the close games end slowly with lots of timeouts, fowls and free throws. I don't think I am the only one that finds this boring.

The fix is easy. Teams should play to 100 points. First quarter is over when the first team reaches 25. Half time is when the first team reaches 50 and so on.

This would make the end of games more exciting to watch where athleticism and basketball skills will be more important than free throws for winning close games.

I am curious what others think.
would most likely put a premium on offensively-skilled players.  issue with that is it doesn't speed up  the game.  look at the average scores of games now.  a lot of teams don't break 100 in regulation. 

keep the concept of the game at a time limit. 

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No replay calls except in the last two minutes of the game.

Widen the court. The players are bigger and faster now.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Allow players to run with the ball without dribbling.... Allow one player on each team to gamble on the outcome of the game.  Players may spike the ball after they score.  Bring back complaining to the refs and trash talking...this sport is too politically correct. 

Even though this year's team may be more talented.  Last year's team may prove to be more fun to watch (sans...the end of the season).  Will have to wait and see. 

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
no defense will be played if they did this.

I think there is no way to fix the end of the game slow down, this is when strategy, and getting guys some air comes into play. if you take timeouts away they'll just conserve them till the end of the game no matter what.

best way to improve the game is with less refs and less calls.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »

Offline celticmcj

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Players are bigger and faster than parish and the dream?  They must be monsters!! Ah wait really they're a bunch of 6'9 centers and euros.the way they could make it better they could lengthen the season..with the same amount of games.players would get more rest teams would get their money..bball an inside sport could be played year round. 2games a week Iinstead of 3 or 4

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They've talked about eliminating the under-9 media timeout from the 2nd and 4th quarters (there already isn't one in the 1st and 3rd).  This would be a pretty simple way to speed up games but would cut down on ads so oh well.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the worst thing about watching NBA games is the the close games end slowly with lots of timeouts, fowls and free throws. I don't think I am the only one that finds this boring.

* Make intentional fouls - free throws + possession - to stop incessant fouling at end of games.

That would do it.
Why does the NBA allow you to advance possession after time outs?  its such an advantage you have to do it. Not sure why you should get one.  And it always means a time out.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That would do it.
It is too hard to determine intentional fouls versus aggressive defense. If someone is persistent enough going for a steal, there will be a foul. How do we determine intent?

What about when they hack Howard early in the game? That is the worst. I would love to see it there to make those games progress.

I prefer this approach: In the final two minutes, the team fouled in a non-shooting foul can choose to shoot shots (assuming they are in the bonus) or to take the ball out of bounds. If they choose to take the ball out of bounds and the shot clock is below 14, it gets set to 14 seconds. In this case, fouling only hurts you unless you are insanely good at defending inbounds plays. If not, you may never get the ball back as the shot clock would always get reset to 14 seconds.

The downside to this is that it removes the punishment for bringing poor free throw shooters into the game. Howard will be able to defend and even take part in the offense in that final minute. If you foul him with the ball, his team will just take the ball out of bounds.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That would do it.
Why does the NBA allow you to advance possession after time outs?  its such an advantage you have to do it. Not sure why you should get one.  And it always means a time out.
What is wrong with advancing the ball? The team has timeouts to use. Why not use it to call a play regardless? Even if you can't advance the ball, teams will still call a timeout if they have one to burn and they want to set up a play at the end.

I see no problem if there are more plays in the final 60 minutes than in the rest of the game. That is the most exciting kind of ending - back and forth, teams making plays. And if teams have timeouts, let them use them.

The problem is dead balls due to fouls and foul shooting. The most boring part of the game should not dominate the final minute. Play-making should. The problem is fouls being a strategy for a comeback instead of being, well, fouls.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
How about this - instead of a guy following another player at the end of the game to stop the clock and put the opposition on the line, why not call those fouls for what they actually are - intentional fouls, where you get 2 shots and the ball.  That would stop teams from hacking guys all the time, and the only way to circumvent getting called for an intentional foul is if the guy who does the fouling actually attempts to get at the ball.  I don't know why guys just give fouls like that when they could force a jump ball, but whatever.  Thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

That would do it.

Oops, you beat me to it.  Sorry about that.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 12:38:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

What would have happened in a game like this?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference