Author Topic: Bynum to Chicago in December??  (Read 2420 times)

Bynum to Chicago in December??
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Chicago has a roster spot and ONLY 2 PG's on their roster and have a team salary of 66.467 million, well under the 77 million luxury tax line.  Bynum's 2.92 million would not hurt them much at all and put them no where near the luxury tax threshold.

Can you combine trade exceptions?  If so, they could trade us their Deng trade exception worth 2.03 million and their Marquis Teague trade exception worth 1.07 million.  These total around 3.10 million.

Is this possible and is it worth holding onto him until December?

BTW, he is working out in Chicago:-))  I scanned the league to see who might need a back up PG and there are not many.  The Clippers could really use someone like Bynum and could easily see them signing him quickly if released!!

Thoughts??

Smitty77

Re: Bynum to Chicago in December??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Chicago has three point guards: Rose, Hinrich, and Brooks.  Don't think the Clippers are a good match, either, since their most pressing need at the moment is a small forward.  None of their current small forwards are all that good.

A team like Memphis might be interested.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think the Tom Thibodeau Finishing School for Backup Point Guards would be great for him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You can't combine trade exceptions.

At the same time, we wouldn't have to wait until December to trade Bynum, so long as he wasn't combined with other outgoing players in the trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

At the same time, we wouldn't have to wait until December to trade Bynum, so long as he wasn't combined with other outgoing players in the trade.

Thanks Roy!!  Could we trade Bynum for Deng's trade exception and Nazr Mohammed??

Smitty77

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Thanks Roy!!  Could we trade Bynum for Deng's trade exception and Nazr Mohammed??

Smitty77

Mohammed can't be traded until December 15.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Chicago has three point guards: Rose, Hinrich, and Brooks.  Don't think the Clippers are a good match, either, since their most pressing need at the moment is a small forward.  None of their current small forwards are all that good.

Thanks EP!!  Nice find.  Bynum to Memphis for the Bayless' 3.135 trade exception that expires on January 6th, 2015???:-))))  Hat tip to you Endless Paradise!!!  This would put them slightly over the luxury tax, if I am correct with it being at $77 million???

Smitty77

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Yeah, I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.  It still might happen, though, because Rose is the Leon Powe of point guards, so the Bulls can probably never have enough of them.  How many games do you give Rose before he's out again?  I say 10-15, given his recent track record, unfortunately.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
December is too late.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is this possible and is it worth holding onto him until December?

You still have to waive another guaranteed contract to keep Bynum around that long.  So far, all signs point to Ainge thinking it is more valuable to keep guys like Powell and Pressey around than to keep Bynum around in the hopes of trading him later.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Powell is D league bound and he did not do much to change their minds last night.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dang. I thought this was going to be about Andrew Bynum.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Per Roy, Will can be traded NOW, just not packaged with anyone else.  I would be thrilled to get the Bayless exception for him from Memphis.  Ironic that we could get an exception for our old player we got in a trade, Bayless:-))

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Bynum is traded, it will probably be for someone making $2-2.5 million.  That player will likely be released, and Danny will just trim a few hundred thousand off of his luxury tax number.  Any trade exception will be negligible, and there's no draft pick coming our way.

More than likely he's just released.

For example, perhaps the Nuggets would take Bynum for Nate Robinson, who's still recovering from an ACL.  Such a trade would save the Celtics $800k, and cost the Nuggets the same.  Nate would then be waived by the C's.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:37:17 PM by saltlover »