Author Topic: The only fair system for the draft  (Read 4253 times)

The only fair system for the draft
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is only one system that is truly fair and discourages tanking, while also giving all teams a chance of competing, regardless of market.

Every season, rosters are cleared out and teams draft their entire team from available players. Salaries are determined by draft position. First pick is determined by record the previous season. The team with the first pick in the first round has the last pick in the second round. Draft picks cannot be traded, though players can be traded. No free agency. Since payroll is supposed to be a particular % of revenue, we know how much total salaries should amount to.

If free agents need to get picked up after the draft, they will get paid based on the same scale, though all undrafted FA would get the same salaries. To be picked up as an undrafted FA during the season, you have to have declared for the draft that season.

This is a horrible system that would make it hard to be a fan, but it is equitable.

Re: The only fair system for the draft
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm not totally against this idea. but I wonder if jersey sales would be better or worse. myself I wouldn't invest in a jersey if the guy has a chance of being there only 1 yr.

it would make things competitive and you'd see a lot more teams actually have a chance though.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
About the only thing exciting about this proposal would be the draft.

It would be the most exciting & compelling draft in sports. And you're getting it every year! I bet it would get stellar TV ratings too.

Other than that, not much to like at all in this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Most exciting draft since that one Chappelle did.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
i'm not totally against this idea. but I wonder if jersey sales would be better or worse. myself I wouldn't invest in a jersey if the guy has a chance of being there only 1 yr.

it would make things competitive and you'd see a lot more teams actually have a chance though.
Probably no more retired numbers.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The only fair system for the draft would be to have a duel at 10 paces.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
The only fair system changes nothing about the lottery, and everything about when player rights' can be drafted.

Eliminate the age restrictions on drafting players and tanking will be as frequent as we see it in baseball. We'll also get an incredible minor league out of the deal, I bet.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The only fair system changes nothing about the lottery, and everything about when player rights' can be drafted.

Eliminate the age restrictions on drafting players and tanking will be as frequent as we see it in baseball. We'll also get an incredible minor league out of the deal, I bet.

The NBA would much rather have the age limit go up.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

I partially agree. Often in baseball, even the best rookies don't get to the majors until 24+. It is really hard to forecast baseball. Look at the outcomes of players in the first round. Much more erratic than basketball. Baseball requires a lot more technical training.

In basketball, there are only 2 rounds and there are very rarely all-stars that come from the ranks of undrafted. There aren't even that many 2nd round all stars. Beyond that, no player in baseball has the impact of Lebron, Durant, Duncan or Kobe. Not even Barry Bonds. Star basketball players are on the floor for about 80% of the game. Pitchers are on the mound less than 20% of the time. Hitters around 10% of the time. Think of the impact of Lebron going to a team. Nothing is like that in baseball.

Yet, I agree that allowing guys to get drafted at 16, like MLB, would change things a lot. There would have to be a minor leagues and there would be more risk taking as the top talents would get drafted in a far less finished state. It would also lead to the problem of teams stockpiling top 16 year-olds, being horrible like Philly while keeping those players in the minors, and then calling them up all at once. By increasing the draft age, players are farther along their development curves, have a better chance of starting their prime on their drafting team, and have more developed frontal lobes (which helps with general decision making in life). When teams are more confident that someone is a transcendent talent, horrible teams are more likely to do whatever it takes to increase their odds of acquiring them.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Interesting idea. But I think the best solution might be something as simple as that if you win the lottery (or maybe get a top 3 pick), you are barred from the top 5 or 10 picks (or perhaps the lottery in general) the following year.

The idea isn't perfect and wouldn't totally get rid of tanking, but it would prevent multi-year tanks like the Sixers are doing.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Interesting idea. But I think the best solution might be something as simple as that if you win the lottery (or maybe get a top 3 pick), you are barred from the top 5 or 10 picks (or perhaps the lottery in general) the following year.

The idea isn't perfect and wouldn't totally get rid of tanking, but it would prevent multi-year tanks like the Sixers are doing.
What about pelting with tomatoes Hinkie at the beginning of every draft ceremony?

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Players in this system would not be allowed to disclose their names.  They wouldn't even have jersey numbers, just scannable unique barcodes tattoed on their arms for identity and stat keeping purposes.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I'm not a fan of that suggestion. everyone is reacting to Cleveland winning it 2 yrs. in a row, when it's the 1st time it's happened ever and the chances of it happening again or frequently are pretty low imo. plus a team that has an unfortunate season should have just as much a right to the top pick as anyone regardless if they had the top pick the season before. not the team with the next worst record just because. that's lame.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
How about this one...teams are only allowed to protect say 7 players.  Everyone else goes into a draft - along with all rookies coming into the league.  That way all teams need to use the draft as a key tool for building their rosters and there's less pressure to get the top pick.

It would take some tinkering - for example what do you do about players on multi year deals who get cut?  But I think its workable and reduces the need to tank.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

I'm not a fan of that suggestion. everyone is reacting to Cleveland winning it 2 yrs. in a row, when it's the 1st time it's happened ever and the chances of it happening again or frequently are pretty low imo. plus a team that has an unfortunate season should have just as much a right to the top pick as anyone regardless if they had the top pick the season before. not the team with the next worst record just because. that's lame.
The new system would have improved Cleveland's chances of winning that second lottery. They weren't even close to the worst record.