Author Topic: This could work.  (Read 4283 times)

Re: This could work.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The thing is though, as good as they've looked, once the better defensive teams start breaking them down on film and commit to cutting off the passing lanes, passing/motion offenses tend to struggle.  That's why these teams never win in the playoffs.  You still need the Paul Pierces of this world who can score off the dribble, even when defended fairly well.  The Celtics don't have one of those guys - unless Turner/Smart or Young can turn into one - possibly Sully too.

I think more important than "score off the dribble" is "create offense off the dribble."  Luckily, we've got a guy coming back sometime around opening night, who's pretty good at the latter. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think solid talent will beat depth most of the time.   You think of the great teams and they got by with 1-3 good bench players and their starters.   In Playoffs the rotations are shortened, for instance.  You need a bench though in case of stuff.

It is not a bad way to use our talent as we lack the superstuds so a grind down may be our best bet.  I just think the cream will always rise to the top.

Yes -- this isn't a championship winning strategy with this roster, but sounds like a way to keep players engaged and maximize the team's strenght.  If it works, we gain the added value of putting more players on display and gaining experience, potentially increasing asset value.   

Will be fun to watch.

I agree with your points. The Celtics are simply not championship contenders. But we do want to watch something decent, and this is an option that plays to the team's strengths, plus helps increase experience, and maybe increases asset value.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
We have come a long way from where we were last year so who's to say there can't be any more improvement this year.   who's to say this team cannot be a contender.  we haven't even seen this team play with Rondo and if he's "all in" on this running game this might jettison us into a higher bracket.  what if James Young becomes that "GO TO GUY".  now that could make this team reeeeeeallllllyy interesting.  our defense has come around and improved with Smart and I truly believe the Celtics will be a very dangerous team, closer to the top then the bottom that people are giving them credit for.
Doc could never have done with this team what Stevens has done and if he holds true to this run and gun game it is going to get very exciting, maybe just collect a few of those banners on the way!!!

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I was first in line on the tank bandwagon last year, but I'm done rooting for lotto balls.  Of course this strategy will help.  Most teams don't try it because they have a BIG dropoff in talent between the starters and the bench.  The C's don't.  This is one of the deepest teams the C's have had in recent memory, and as another poster said, they have plenty of great on-ball defenders.  So, an up-tempo, defensive-led pace will certainly help them.  It will also keep the morale up, which is important on a young team.

Go C's!

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We have come a long way from where we were last year so who's to say there can't be any more improvement this year.   who's to say this team cannot be a contender.  we haven't even seen this team play with Rondo and if he's "all in" on this running game this might jettison us into a higher bracket.  what if James Young becomes that "GO TO GUY".  now that could make this team reeeeeeallllllyy interesting.  our defense has come around and improved with Smart and I truly believe the Celtics will be a very dangerous team, closer to the top then the bottom that people are giving them credit for.
Doc could never have done with this team what Stevens has done and if he holds true to this run and gun game it is going to get very exciting, maybe just collect a few of those banners on the way!!!

I don't know, Doc's coached a bad Celtics team to a losing record once or twice in his day.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

I don't know, Doc's coached a bad Celtics team to a losing record once or twice in his day.

Ain't no converting you, is there, D.o.s.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
In Hockey, the 3rd line plays almost as much as the first line so if you have a big advantage there (Bruin's recent strategy), that can pay off.  In basketball, I think the top 3 or 4 make by far the biggest impact.

The Celtics do have some nice depth and will be able to throw a lot of energy at teams.  Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to have enough talent.  Depth is nice but it can make up for talent.

I am not saying that it is not possible that the Celtics become a surprise team, just not likely.  With all these young players, there are a lot of potential wildcards type players that could have break out years.

Who knows, but if we do win, it will be because our best players play better than the other teams best players, not because player 8-10 out play their 8-10.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:38:19 PM by Vermont Green »