Author Topic: This could work.  (Read 4280 times)

This could work.
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Found this article on Celtics.com by Marc D'Amico and thought with our young guns, this could very well work!!!

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/celtics-plan-outlast-opponents-season

the more I thought of how many youthful shooters we have on this team along with our speed and depth, this is not a bad idea.
yes, it's just something on paper right now but if any of you watched the last game against Brooklyn, this is exactly how that game was won.  the Nets were ahead most of the game and into the third period Stevens started playing a lot of different people and then the Nets faded and we finished strong at the end and got that 95-90 win.

Any thoughts here???

Re: This could work.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think solid talent will beat depth most of the time.   You think of the great teams and they got by with 1-3 good bench players and their starters.   In Playoffs the rotations are shortened, for instance.  You need a bench though in case of stuff.

It is not a bad way to use our talent as we lack the superstuds so a grind down may be our best bet.  I just think the cream will always rise to the top.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Depth surly is a strength of this team. Also they are all fairly young so why not try to run teams out. Running & gunning with strong defense works great when it goes along with aggressive subbing. This is what I have been hoping for this year. But then I think wait should we be tanking? I get all mixed up lol

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
that may work against older teams later in the season but I don't think that'll get us more than 1-2 wins if we're lucky

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I think solid talent will beat depth most of the time.   You think of the great teams and they got by with 1-3 good bench players and their starters.   In Playoffs the rotations are shortened, for instance.  You need a bench though in case of stuff.

It is not a bad way to use our talent as we lack the superstuds so a grind down may be our best bet.  I just think the cream will always rise to the top.

Yes -- this isn't a championship winning strategy with this roster, but sounds like a way to keep players engaged and maximize the team's strenght.  If it works, we gain the added value of putting more players on display and gaining experience, potentially increasing asset value.   

Will be fun to watch.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This team will go as far as our 3-pointer bombs and our perimeter defense takes us, and hopefully some really good on-ball pressure from get get go.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
that may work against older teams later in the season but I don't think that'll get us more than 1-2 wins if we're lucky
you are probably correct, but at least it will make the loses more entertaining.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
That's Red's formula for success...play defense, run, run, run, play defense, and then run some more! But his teams had a different level of talent to work with so it won't get the C's the same level of success this year.

It's a style of play that I'd love for the C's to use, though. If nothing else, it would may Tommy very happy. :) As Danny adds more talent, and the talent we have improves, it might start working like it did for Red in decades past.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Depth in the NBA is super overrated.  You'd be way better off with 2 all-stars and a bunch of d-leaguers than a mediocre starting lineup and the best bench in the league.    Right now we have zero all-stars, a weak starting lineup, and an average-to-weak bench.  That's why we're expected to be a bottom 5 team this year.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
IMHO fast pace favors the better team. Underdogs are better off with risky strategies.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Defend, rebound, run...love this if true.  It's back to the 70's for the Celts then.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
you are probably correct, but at least it will make the loses more entertaining.
I don't think we'll be bored, that's for sure.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We have some very good perimeter defenders who consistently play hard. I think consistent perimeter pressure and running off that pressure will make this team better.

To me, it's less the depth this team has and more the ability for players to go as hard as they can without having to play too many minutes (which is something this depth affords).

This team won't be the most talented but there will be nights where they outwork, out defend and out shoot their opponents. Maybe this won't make them a consistent winner, but it will allow them to steal games they wouldn't otherwise win.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Team will be competitive and entertaining - and will win more games than last year because they have better offensive talent.  Best case scenario, Rondo's abilities get maximized, team is as good as its looked in pre season and they make playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed with no chance of advancing. 
They still will have serious problems defending good bigs and will need more talent to become a legit conference contender but they're headed in right direction -- with assets. 

Last year I wasn't sure whether any members of the roster would be here when they finally get good again.  Now I can see a few of these players potentially being part of all that.  They still need all-stars but they'll have a healthy Rondo and there may be a couple of future stars on the current roster.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
The thing is though, as good as they've looked, once the better defensive teams start breaking them down on film and commit to cutting off the passing lanes, passing/motion offenses tend to struggle.  That's why these teams never win in the playoffs.  You still need the Paul Pierces of this world who can score off the dribble, even when defended fairly well.  The Celtics don't have one of those guys - unless Turner/Smart or Young can turn into one - possibly Sully too.