Author Topic: WHOA: Lottery reform proposal has been voted DOWN. 17-13.  (Read 10523 times)

WHOA: Lottery reform proposal has been voted DOWN. 17-13.
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Quote from: Adrian Wojnarowski
The NBA draft lottery reform has been voted down at Board of Governors meeting, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. System stays.
Big markets -- Chicago and Washington -- voted against the reform, source says. Small market Sacramento voted for it. Strange twist.
Here were the 13 "No" votes, sources told Yahoo: PHX, PHL, OKC, NO, DET, MIA, MIL, San Antonio, Utah, Wash, ATL, CHA and Chicago.
Twenty-four hours ago, passage of draft lottery reform was considered a sure-thing. NBA was confident it had 23 teams. Then It fell apart.
Quote from: Zach Lowe
Would not be surprised if issue reappears at All-Star break or some other time when the entire Board of Governors can get together. (1/2)
Some of today's "no" votes came out of fear teams haven't considered the intended/unintended consequences of reform deeply enough. (2/2)

Re: WHOA: Lottery reform proposal has been voted DOWN. 17-13.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, how the hell did that happen?  I thought this vote was in the bag.

Presti must've done a helluva job campaigning.  I know he was one of the vocal critics of reform outside the obvious Philadelphia.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So it's 17-13 in favor of the change, it just missed on the 3/4s necessary.  Very strange, I wonder why it happened.  Maybe some of the owners remembered they already had a system like this and scrapped it the second the team with the lowest odds (Orlando) won #1.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Maybe, maybe not somewhat significant and relevant to your question, Donoghus:

Interesting how almost all of the branches off the Spurs management tree -- Hawks, Jazz, Thunder, Pelicans -- voted against lotto reform.

Surprisingly, Orlando voted for it.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The nba should just change it without team consents

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
The lottery system is fix anyway so it doesn't matter  ;)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So it's 17-13 in favor of the change, it just missed on the 3/4s necessary.  Very strange, I wonder why it happened.  Maybe some of the owners remembered they already had a system like this and scrapped it the second the team with the lowest odds (Orlando) won #1.
Teams got skittish about the change.

Remember this is similar to what the system used to look like when Orlando got back to back #1 picks and then they changed it to the current heavily weighted system.

I think the Spurs family tree of front office people managed to convince people to move against it.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe, maybe not somewhat significant and relevant to your question, Donoghus:

Interesting how almost all of the branches off the Spurs management tree -- Hawks, Jazz, Thunder, Pelicans -- voted against lotto reform.

Surprisingly, Orlando voted for it.

Now it sounds like teams wanted to do further studies into the ramifications of a change in it. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Remember this is similar to what the system used to look like when Orlando got back to back #1 picks and then they changed it to the current heavily weighted system.

I do remember that  :P

It's too bad, flattening the odds is about the cleanest way to disincentivize tanking, but everyone hates it when the better teams win.  No one wants tanking but many prefer a system where it's favored.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

It's too bad, flattening the odds is about the cleanest way to disincentivize tanking, but everyone hates it when the better teams win.  No one wants tanking but many prefer a system where it's favored.

So maybe unsurprisingly, Orlando voted for it.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not really that surprising, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I mean, by all accounts, it looked like the vote was going to pass. Philly and OKC were the only two teams that were publicly against it, then it came out that Milwaukee, Miami, and New Orleans would consider voting against it.  To go from an expected vote of 28-2 to almost a split vote is pretty surprising.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This is what happens when I post on a topic while talking on the phone wiht my brother about it lol.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I mean, by all accounts, it looked like the vote was going to past.  Philly and OKC were the only two teams that were publicly against it, then it came out that Milwaukee, Miami, and New Orleans would consider voting against it.  To go from an expected vote of 28-2 to almost a split vote is pretty surprising.

Just because Woj and Lowe got left in the lurch doesn't mean that there weren't other ways of realizing that this was hardly the slam dunk they posited it to be (although I'm sure their sources were good, as well as certain). NBA owners hate change, and they hate looking stupid. As soon as Orlando started getting referenced, the writing was on the wall.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm betting the anti-change camp also laid low with Lowe/Woj.

To avoid NBA feeling they needed to armtwist more.