Author Topic: WHOA: Lottery reform proposal has been voted DOWN. 17-13.  (Read 10525 times)

Re: WHOA: Lottery reform proposal has been voted DOWN. 17-13.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Crazy.... but good for phili

It seems like this is an rather easy fix to me. 

Keep the lottery weighted as is but make the following changes.

1. Implement a high lottery penalty as follows

2014 Lottery winner: not eligible for top 5 in 2015, top 3 in 2016 and #1 in 2017

2014 #2,#3: not eligible for top 3 in 2015

2.Open up the lottery to the top 5 picks not just top 3. I believe currently the worst a team with #1 odds can fall is #4 and that is if the worst 3 teams all miss on the top 3. Open this up to the top 5 picks and the bottom deal run a higher risk of falling out of the top 3.

These two changes still leave team the option to tank. However systematic multi year tanks like what Phili is doing become less favorable in the draft. After a team lands a #1 pick they will want to move on from bottom dwelling with the incentive for bottom dwelling again eliminated by rule #1. Rule #2 should take some of the incentive out of the end of the year tank section that has become the untalked about norm in the NBA.   

* I also think the league should move to a true minor league system.

1 .Every team has a D-league team.

2. Allow a floater roster spot where a team can have up to three min salary players under 24 who play on the D-league team but can also be called up one at a time to occupy the last NBA bench spot. Despite being 3 plays they account for 1 min salary on the cap. (this would allow teams to develop role players. rather then the current system where they are cast off and traded constantly)   

3. Add a 3rd round to the draft.

4. Every 2nd rd pick gets guaranteed D league deal, 3rd rounders the team holds their rights and can match any D-league or NBA deal they may receive.

5. Eliminate the age limit but any out of highschool player (or Euro under 19) has to play one year in D-league. If a first round pick they get 50% of their 1st round salary (this doesn't count against cap). Then they start a standard rookie deal after D-league year is completed. 

I feel this D-league system would place real fan interest in the d league team. The youngsters would give it star power and the floater players stability. Teams would have a broader developmental system which should create better basketball. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The problem is that there's no way to punish tanking teams without cosigning 'legitimately' bad teams to hellish futility.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm glad the league is considering this more carefully. An unintended consequence could be that teams on the boarder of making the playoffs intentionally sit guys and au scrubs the last month or so to get an equal shot at a top pick instead of getting blown out by the #1 seed.

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The problem is that there's no way to punish tanking teams without cosigning 'legitimately' bad teams to hellish futility.
Systematically probably not.

But I get that owners as business owners hate that Philly is torching their revenue to get high picks while still collecting revenue sharing to keep them afloat.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Why don't they punish the teams via revenue sharing?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can see where teams wouldn't like the fact that if they had the worst or second worst record in the league, not because they tanked but were simply bad, that they could end up selecting 7th or 8th. Really think the increased odds for the teams that finished with the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th worst records also helped to do this in.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:30:19 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I believe that's all locked into the CBA and is already a hugely tough issue for the owners/players.

So its not something that they can do until the opt out. I'm betting that lots of owners will pushf or such a thing then.

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Ok. How?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Ok. How?
I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I do think its hilarious that teams moved to all these small markets because of arena deals and now its become a huge issue that they can't make the same level of sponsorship/tv money in those markets makes revenue sharing a must.

Just points out how moving the Sonics out of Seattle sucked for the league as a whole.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I can see why the celtics would, at least in the short term, support the lottery reform. With all the future 1st rounders we own from other teams and our own, it would greatly increase the odds that some of those picks become top 3 picks.

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The problem with trying to punish teams for tanking is that no one can even agree on a universal definition of "tanking."  Are you going to penalize teams for simply being bad for a few years?  That's counterproductive.  How will you determine that what the Sixers are doing is any worse than what the Celtics did last year by not wasting their time looking for a stopgap mediocre, veteran point guard in Rondo's absence or a similarly mediocre veteran center?

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Ok. How?
I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I do think its hilarious that teams moved to all these small markets because of arena deals and now its become a huge issue that they can't make the same level of sponsorship/tv money in those markets makes revenue sharing a must.

Just points out how moving the Sonics out of Seattle sucked for the league as a whole.

I remain convinced that Presti + company were given the green light to tank as hard as they did to make moving out of Seattle easier, rather than any sort of grand vision of how to build the best basketball team possible.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I wonder if this was some short term thinking by some teams.  Obviously Philly, but think about:

Chicago/Sacramento
Sacramento owes Chicago a top 10 protected pick over the next 3 years that then turns into a 2nd rounder.  Sacramento who could finish out of the bottom 10, votes yes to increase the odds of them moving into the top 10, Chicago votes no to increase the odds of keeping Sacramento’s pick in the 11-14 range.

Phoenix/LAL
Lakers owe Phoenix a top 5 protected pick next year.  Lakers voting yes increases the odds of them being able to keep this year’s pick by moving into the top 5, Phoenix voting no increases the odds of landing the Lakers pick this year, by keeping it in the 6-14 range.

Houston/NO
New Orleans owes Houston a top 3 protected pick this year.  Houston voting yes increase the odds of New Orleans moving up to the 4-10 range up from the 10-14 range.

Now not that I think this is why some teams voted the way they did (especially the Lakers), and I’m sure there are plenty of ways to poke holes in this idea, but it makes for an interesting conspiracy theory.  Especially when it comes to Sacramento’s yes vote, and Chicago and Phoenix’s no vote.

Really I'm surprised by Phoenix and Utah, as those 2 teams have never really tanked (at least in my eyes), with neither team finishing with fewer than 25 wins in the last 30 years.  I would think teams like that would definitely benefit from the change.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I was hoping it would pass, oh well.

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I suspect Sacramento's affirmative vote was just another attempt at currying favor with the league.  This is the same franchise that opted out of the revenue sharing program during the relocation fiasco, after all.