6 (54.5%)
C
1 (9.1%)
D
1 (9.1%)
E
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Did Wizards made the right moves in the off-season?  (Read 3556 times)

Re: Did Wizards made the right moves in the off-season?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, but they're not guys who rely heavily on athleticism.  They're just solid, fundamental players.  Nene's injury prone, so that's likely going to put a shorter shelf life on his career, but it's not as if we're talking about Gerald Wallace-type of guys.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
The Wizards should sign a witch doctor to prevent them from injuries  ;D
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Counting on your backcourt core to be the cornerstone of your franchise has always scared me a bit.  Gortat & Nene are solid starters but not gamechangers.  Teams that live & die by their guard play always get me nervous.  That being said, they look like one of the top 3-4 teams in the East. 

Also, as much as I love the guy, I do wonder how much Pierce has left in the tank.

I have a tough time seeing the Wizards getting past (a healthy) Chicago or Cleveland in the East.

I admittedly don't watch them (duh, Celtics fan here) but...

It would seem that both Nene and Gortat are very good in the pick and roll, and they have Pierce who can run it now or spread the floor, and Wall and Beal should be good and running it with them, too.

What were they doing on offense, or was the defense subpar?

Faf touched on it in his post; its the efficiency of Wall/Beal.   I would expect it to be relatively up & down with a backcourt.  When your core is your backcourt, it concerns me in terms of your long-term prognosis for success.  If you're living & dying with your guard play, I have doubts about how far you can really go.

They go extremely lucky with their first round matchup with the Bulls last season.  The Bulls team, offensively, was an absolute mess than got exposed in that series.  Washington also played extremely good basketball.  They pushed a very hot & cold Pacers team to a sixth game in the next round but came up short.   As currently constructed, that might be their ceiling or maybe an appearance in the conference finals if things break right.

On paper they've improved but they are still going to be asking a lot from that backcourt and I do have question marks about how well that translates in the playoffs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
are you guys also impress with adding blair? or rather have a guy like leonard for ely + picks?
or sign a guy who is udrafted 7' 7'2 height?

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Let me put it this way the Pacers team that beat them in the playoffs at that point sucked.  They very nearly lost to the Horford-less Hawks.

The Pacers were an awful match up because the Wizards won on defense with inefficient and predictable offense and solid defense. The Pacers had the same formula only with a better defensive acumen. If the Wizards had any sort of decent offense or more efficient backcourt they win that series.

Last year was a positive step for the Wizards but I think people are really overating where they are progress wise. I don't like the moves this offseason because they locked in this current core and are completely banking on Beal/Wall to become all-nba players to carry them home.

The rising cap probably will bail them out in the end with the flexibility to keep adding to the roster as Gortat/Nene age.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I think if they rely on Pierce at all they dont have a chance. Is Pierce starting? He really shouldn't be.

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm tempted to say that Nene/Gortat is more important than Wall/Beal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm tempted to say that Nene/Gortat is more important than Wall/Beal.

More important to their team success? Sure.  If they're playing well, its a whole different added dimension to that team.  However, that organization's cornerstones are two guards.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Let me put it this way the Pacers team that beat them in the playoffs at that point sucked.  They very nearly lost to the Horford-less Hawks.

The Pacers were an awful match up because the Wizards won on defense with inefficient and predictable offense and solid defense. The Pacers had the same formula only with a better defensive acumen. If the Wizards had any sort of decent offense or more efficient backcourt they win that series.

Last year was a positive step for the Wizards but I think people are really overating where they are progress wise. I don't like the moves this offseason because they locked in this current core and are completely banking on Beal/Wall to become all-nba players to carry them home.

The rising cap probably will bail them out in the end with the flexibility to keep adding to the roster as Gortat/Nene age.

I don't agree with the premise of their problem with their cap. If you see how that team is structured, Once Beal is ready to become a restricted free-agent, the ONLY players still under contract will be Gortat and Wall, with plenty of cap space to go with it.

So what are you really having a problem with? A 2-year window in which they'll have no cap space but at least have laid the foundation for a competitive 2 years?

I don't see the downside at the moment in all of this.

They have plenty of flexibility.