6 (54.5%)
C
1 (9.1%)
D
1 (9.1%)
E
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Did Wizards made the right moves in the off-season?  (Read 3568 times)

Did Wizards made the right moves in the off-season?
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
1st of all they made a steal on pierce and humphries
but also they resigned gooden and seraphin also temple and traded ely to acquire blair

if you where the wizards gm (for example) would you rather acquire marion instead of blair? besides pierce can play 4, and seraphin is playing better lately
then scout undrafted big or veteran bigs who is taller than gortat that cn be useful at times, just like nets lucky signing of jerome jordan who is playing well

also with 6 bigs, these are similar players with rebounding strength, so this team is relying more on jumpshot instead of attacking the paint? no floor spacer, etcs;
also if temple and miller sticks to 9points below, you should hope for a porter and rice jr. at least 15+ points a game...
gooden will also be hidden on the bench for humphries/nene are both healthy
wizards also lack of a guy who can upset someone and clogged the paint
and now they have signed john lucas 3rd...maybe for a trade? mid-season, example shumpert or a guy like wrotten then a filler of blair or seraphin?
even in an nba tv show i just watched, they picked bulls and cleveland

what do you guys think?

Re: Did Wizards made the right moves in the off-season?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:39 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The Wizards look like a very, very strong team.  Nene/Gortat is a top-level set of starting bigs, and I really love Hump as 1st big off the bench on any team. 

Add Pierce, and it's a great front line.

I don't follow them closely, but if they have enough experience and depth at guard and play good team D, they should be in the conversation for sure.

They just don't have the best player on the court, but might have the best team most nights.

The should be what Indy could have been if they hadn't imploded last year.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
The Wizards look like a very, very strong team.  Nene/Gortat is a top-level set of starting bigs, and I really love Hump as 1st big off the bench on any team. 

Add Pierce, and it's a great front line.

I don't follow them closely, but if they have enough experience and depth at guard and play good team D, they should be in the conversation for sure.

They just don't have the best player on the court, but might have the best team most nights.

The should be what Indy could have been if they hadn't imploded last year.

i think the blair signing was a mistake, if this roster face the past season teams indiana heat spurs, blair is useless, if you want rebounding i could slide humphries to 5 right away...with gooden playing at 4, and if webster is healthy i could move pierce to play 4
i think seraphin 3million is ok, specially on what he is showing now in terms of offense and he is not an injury prone big...
i think they resigned temple as a combo guard and defense he already have
signing lucas also makes temple less playing time or its miller less playing time

for me i think signing a small forward would have been better, while webster out, to keep pierce healthy on his minutes restrictions and to keep rice jr. at 2...
also there is no really a what so called solid back-up center for gortat but humphries/nene/seraphin can all fill that role offense/defense/rebounding etcs;
and they should have sign a guy like jerom jordan or scout those omic klimenko or haddadi or leonard as 3rd big and your 2nd big is seraphin (less defense but more offense)

i also think the reason why they loss to the pacers last season is the lack of bigs, adding humphries gives them +1 and as ive said humphries can move to 5 nene on west gooden or pierce on scola if its the past season... but with todays cleveland with them having on haywood and an injury prone varejao, they will rely more on attacking the paint and corner 3's without any lowpost like the heat in the past...if the wizards don't clogged the paint they will definitely lose to cleveland
and so with gasol/noah nene/gortat. if they can't beat the knicks tomorrow what more on there bigs...or a quick toronto raptors with super descent bench
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:02:24 AM by MISSERY »

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I didn't love what they did this offseason. Though with the cap going up so much I don't think it will be nearly as limiting as I initially thought to building around Wall/Beal.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They needed to prove to Wall and Beal that their playoff run last year wasn't something that was going to be Thunder-ized by salary concerns.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
They needed to prove to Wall and Beal that their playoff run last year wasn't something that was going to be Thunder-ized by salary concerns.

with beal and wall running the show and miller, temple, and maybe porter is not doing the job something might be wrong... you need a guy who can be rashard lewis or mike miller at the bench

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

They had to take that next step, too.  That's the hard part: going from good to great.

They're hoping Pierce adds that X factor to a very talented starting unit.

The bench, I think, supports the starters, in terms of roster design.

Does the Wiz bench fit the bill?  It really seems to.

If the starting 5 look like they should be competitive for top-4 in the conference, and I think they do (along with Cleveland, Chicago, and possibly Miami), and the bench looks solid, then the only other offseason move is in coaching.

Because the Wizards roster looks like one that a top-level coach could go very far with.

Nitpick about contracts and fringe rotation players, but they look good to me.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The nitpicks are decidely not about the supporting cast, its about the core.

Wall/Beal/Gortat/Nene

That core was in place last year and it wasn't that great. Counting on Beal/Wall to improve massively to make them a contender.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Counting on your backcourt core to be the cornerstone of your franchise has always scared me a bit.  Gortat & Nene are solid starters but not gamechangers.  Teams that live & die by their guard play always get me nervous.  That being said, they look like one of the top 3-4 teams in the East. 

Also, as much as I love the guy, I do wonder how much Pierce has left in the tank.

I have a tough time seeing the Wizards getting past (a healthy) Chicago or Cleveland in the East.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Wall/Beal/Gortat/Nene

That core was in place last year and it wasn't that great. Counting on Beal/Wall to improve massively to make them a contender.

Why do you say that?  Nene had a solid season, but as usual, he had to deal with injury concerns.  I think that's a solid enough foundation to build upon.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
Counting on your backcourt core to be the cornerstone of your franchise has always scared me a bit.  Gortat & Nene are solid starters but not gamechangers.  Teams that live & die by their guard play always get me nervous.  That being said, they look like one of the top 3-4 teams in the East. 

Also, as much as I love the guy, I do wonder how much Pierce has left in the tank.

I have a tough time seeing the Wizards getting past (a healthy) Chicago or Cleveland in the East.

I admittedly don't watch them (duh, Celtics fan here) but...

It would seem that both Nene and Gortat are very good in the pick and roll, and they have Pierce who can run it now or spread the floor, and Wall and Beal should be good and running it with them, too.

What were they doing on offense, or was the defense subpar?

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Wall/Beal/Gortat/Nene

Why do you say that?  Nene had a solid season, but as usual, he had to deal with injury concerns.  I think that's a solid enough foundation to build upon.
17th in ORTG last year 8th in DRTG overall they had the 14th best point differential and 15th best SRS (point differential adjusted for schedule bascially)

So they were an average team in the league, who happened to play in a bad eastern conference.

Beal/Wall were pretty average offensively because they weren't efficient scorers last year, Wall brings a ton of playmaking and defense though but Beal's more up and down. Need to bring more, Nene/Gortat are solid but they aren't taking you anywhere new. Wall/Beal need to improve to become more than an average team.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I gave them an A because they probably did better than anyone thought. At the end, it comes down two things: health  and internal improvement. Wall's a star,  Beal needs to become one and Porter needs to be useful along with Glen Rice.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Wall/Beal/Gortat/Nene

17th in ORTG last year 8th in DRTG overall they had the 14th best point differential and 15th best SRS (point differential adjusted for schedule bascially)

So they were an average team in the league, who happened to play in a bad eastern conference.

Beal/Wall were pretty average offensively because they weren't efficient scorers last year, Wall brings a ton of playmaking and defense though but Beal's more up and down. Need to bring more, Nene/Gortat are solid but they aren't taking you anywhere new. Wall/Beal need to improve to become more than an average team.

Eh, I tend to err on the side of assuming that young guys will improve with experience unless I'm given reason to believe otherwise.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Sure they're likely to improve, but Gortat/Nene are also going to decline.