Author Topic: Nets (4-1) at Celtics (4-3) Preseason Game #8 10/22/14  (Read 19684 times)

Nets (4-1) at Celtics (4-3) Preseason Game #8 10/22/14
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Brooklyn Nets (4-1) at Boston Celtics (4-3)
Wednesday, October 21,2014
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #8, Home Game #5
TV:  CSNNE, Yes HD
Radio:  98.5 Sports Hub
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG:  Evan Turner...................................................................SG:  Avery Bradley

C:  Kelly Olynyk

SF:  Jeff Green ....................................................................PF Jared Sullinger
Off the Bench
Phil Pressey
Marcus Smart
Avery Bradley
Marcus Thornton
Brandon Bass
Dwight Powell
Tyler Zeller
Gerald Wallace
James Young

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (hand) out
Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Will Bynum (hamstring) out
Tim Frazier, Rodney McGruder, Erik Murphy, Christian Watford (released)

Probable Starters

PG: Jarrett Jack......................................................................SG:  Bojan Bogdanovic

C:  Mason Plumlee

SF:  Joe Johnson ................................................................PF:  Andrei Kirilenko

Off the Bench
Alan Anderson
Sergey Karasev
Marquis Teague
Cory Jefferson
Jerome Jordan
Jorge Gutierrez
Willie Reed
Mirza Teletovic

Injuries

Brook Lopez (foot) out
Kevin Garnett (stomach)  out
Markel Brown (stomach) out
Deron Williams (rest) out

Game Notes
The Celtics will take on the Nets for the second time this week as they play in a preseason home and home series.   This will be the final preseason game for both teams with the Celtics playing their 8th game and the Nets playing their 6th game.   Both teams will be looking to close out their preseason with a win in spite of trying to rest their starters and veterans in order to avoid injuries going into the season. 

The Celtics handed the Nets their only loss in the preseason and so they will be looking to even the score in this one.   The Celtics have released their 3 camp invites, although Tim Frazier may stick around to play in this game.  James Young is returning to the lineup for this game and will probably see extended minutes.   

The Nets will be resting Deron Williams for this game.  Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez, and Markel Brown are also listed out for this game.   For the Celtics, Rondo, Faverani and Bynum will be out with everyone else expected to play.  These two teams will meet once again in the Celtics season opener on October 29. 

Key Matchup
vs
Jared Sullinger vs Andrei Kirilenko
In the last meeting between these two teams, Jared Sullinger finished with 21 points and 19 rebounds against Mirza Teletovic.  The Nets have moved Kirilenko into the starting lineup to try to contain him in this game. 

Keys to the Game

Defense - Defense is always the key to every game.  The Celtics are trying to make themselves into a defensive team and that, more than anything, will help them to get more wins this season.   They have got to concentrate on individual as well as team defense.

Set the Pace -  With the Celtics being a young team and the Nets being a more veteran team, it will benefit the Celtics to run at every opportunity and set the pace from beginning to end.  They also need to move the ball and keep the pace of the game moving with their ball movement.

Rebound -  The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball so they have to crash the boards to give themselves extra possessions and to keep the Nets from getting fast breaks and second chance points. 

X-Factors
Effort and Energy
The Celtics won the first meeting between these two teams because they out ran and out worked the Nets.  If they put out more effort and energy again in this game, they will give themselves a good chance to win again. 

Re: Nets (4-1) at Celtics (4-3) Preseason Game #8 10/22/14
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:39 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
TP FLC, and I'm going to be there. I'm going to wear a uniform and God willing sneak in the game sometime in the second half. I'll be easy to spot.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks Nerf DPOY... And a TP for being the first to post in the thread.   Have fun at the game!!! 

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Do we start big or start small like we ended the previous game? I wonder if he'll finally test the starting line-up with Green at the 4.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
James Young may return for this one.  He was involved in practice yesterday.

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics rookie James Young participated in his first full-contact practice in more than two weeks Tuesday and is expected to play in Wednesday's exhibition finale against the Brooklyn Nets.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715219/young-ready-to-make-up-ground

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I can't stop scrolling up and gawking at our beard game.

That is a hot mess, right there.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
And my final set of BOLD PREDICTIONS: James Young hits 10 3 pointers, and Dwight Powell gets a double double.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Hope Young gets some minutes......I thinking this kid got game.

BTW....Joe Johnson looks ten years older than his age.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Last preseason game, either we play with a more set rotation in preparation for the season (which would mean Young wouldn't play any "meaningful minutes" or we rest our main core to avoid injury in the last preseason game, which would mean plenty of time for Young and the likes.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
These games against the Nets are interesting because we don't have their pick in the next draft but essentially do own their 1st rounder, with our swap rights, for the three years after that.  They massively upgraded at the coaching position but lost Pierce and KG is basically cooked.  Can they make the moves to hang on as a borderline contender for the next four years and then start rebuilding?

Mike

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
Last preseason game, either we play with a more set rotation in preparation for the season (which would mean Young wouldn't play any "meaningful minutes" or we rest our main core to avoid injury in the last preseason game, which would mean plenty of time for Young and the likes.

Given what we've seen from Wallace this pre-season, which is that he's done and his biggest contribution to the team is NOT being a malcontent, Young could see some time at the 3.  It all depends on what Stevens wants to do with Turner when Rondo returns.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Given what we've seen from Wallace this pre-season, which is that he's done and his biggest contribution to the team is NOT being a malcontent, Young could see some time at the 3.  It all depends on what Stevens wants to do with Turner when Rondo returns.

Mike

Young won't sniff the court this season. We're too deep as it is with veterans who are actual contributors to give minutes to Young. Young has to outperform the other players and in a very noticeable and meaningful way in order to get any type of role in this team.

Young won't be dressing for games, unless they don't dress Pressey and I for one don't see that happening yet.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Mike

Young won't sniff the court this season. We're too deep as it is with veterans who are actual contributors to give minutes to Young. Young has to outperform the other players and in a very noticeable and meaningful way in order to get any type of role in this team.

Young won't be dressing for games, unless they don't dress Pressey and I for one don't see that happening yet.

I don't expect they'll keep Young in Boston unless they expect to find him some minutes. After all, developing their young players is still a priority for the season. And, they wouldn't be eager to give him real minutes tonight if they weren't eager to see if he can pin down a spot on the team. Someone or two or three are bound to get injured, and ET seems to be floating back down to earth, while Wallace is still struggling with pain. So I expect Young is not necessarily as deep on the depth chart as Pressey, once Rondo returns.

Oh, and Rondo, Wallace and Powell are all good candidates not to dress for the first games, so who knows, Young could start out in uniform.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Mike

I don't expect they'll keep Young in Boston unless they expect to find him some minutes. After all, developing their young players is still a priority for the season. And, they wouldn't be eager to give him real minutes tonight if they weren't eager to see if he can pin down a spot on the team. Someone or two or three are bound to get injured, and ET seems to be floating back down to earth, while Wallace is still struggling with pain. So I expect Young is not necessarily as deep on the depth chart as Pressey, once Rondo returns.

Oh, and Rondo, Wallace and Powell are all good candidates not to dress for the first games, so who knows, Young could start out in uniform.

Injuries always changes the opportunities, I find it a moot point to discuss them.

That aside, I forgot that we can dress 13 players now + Faverani is out, etc. so yes I guess he might dress. But I think he's D-League bound regardless.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Who's our backup small forward?  If it's Gerald Wallace, you bet there's a good chance Young sees some minutes on the floor.  If it's Evan Turner or Marcus Thornton, then Young would very likely be D-League bound.

Mike