Author Topic: Per Eric Pincus, we got a 3.8M exception in the Anthony for Bynum trade  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
May be old news, but first I heard of this was today.

He's generally quite reliable on salary stuff.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics-team-salary/

Looks like the Boston Celtics trade w/ the Detroit Pistons was a little more complicated than originally thought re: use of trade exceptions

Re: Per Eric Pincus, we got a 3.8M exception in the Anthony for Bynum trade
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So we got a better player AND trade exception? Not sure if im getting this right...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
So we got a better player AND trade exception? Not sure if im getting this right...

Yeah.  Go figure.  Danny's magic again.  Be really something if he can now flip Bynum for somebody even less expensive, but since the league figures he'll get cut anyway, that'd be a neat trick.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't see how this is possible, but IF this is true, then I went on a rant in another thread VERY prematurely:-)))))))))))))))))

Sorry if this is true to all Celticbloggers that wasted time reading it in the thread about us waiving Bynum!@!!

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Confirmed that Bynum's salary was absorbed into the Humphries TPE.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Yeah.  Go figure.  Danny's magic again.  Be really something if he can now flip Bynum for somebody even less expensive, but since the league figures he'll get cut anyway, that'd be a neat trick.

Wow. I mean, just wow. How can Danny pull these kinds of deals is beyond me... He's sick (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible). Really!? Get the better player and Trade Exception?  Who does that...?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton

Wow. I mean, just wow. How can Danny pull these kinds of deals is beyond me... He's sick (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible). Really!? Get the better player and Trade Exception?  Who does that...?

Well, he sacrificed the Hump TPE, which would have expired next July, for this new TPE which will expire next October.  The new TPE is 3.8M.  The Hump TPE was 4.25M, of which, now, 1.3M still remains.  (All stuff I'm getting from Pincus' Twitter feed.)

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
So he borrowed from Peter to pay Paul.

It is still I good trade I think.  Anthony was likely to get waived anyway, Bynum has at least a chance to be traded.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
I understand that Bynum was absorbed by the Hump exception, reducing that exception to 1.3 mill expiring in July.

But how is it that Anthony becomes a trade exception? Is there an additional element that has yet to be announced, for example was Anthony actually traded for a super-conditional second round pick that we will never get? Or a real cheap non-guaranteed contract that was just waived?

Or is this just a function of how the trade rules work, which allow each team to structure the trade from their end, as they please?

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Or is this just a function of how the trade rules work, which allow each team to structure the trade from their end, as they please?

Yep.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Yep.

Exactly. Ainge is, in essence, trading Anthony for a smaller extension on the Humphries TPE.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So he borrowed from Peter to pay Paul.

Not necessarily since we now have a longer window to use the exceptions.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
I understand that Bynum was absorbed by the Hump exception, reducing that exception to 1.3 mill expiring in July.

But how is it that Anthony becomes a trade exception? Is there an additional element that has yet to be announced, for example was Anthony actually traded for a super-conditional second round pick that we will never get? Or a real cheap non-guaranteed contract that was just waived?

Got to be the team perspective thing.  From theirs, they traded Bynum for Anthony.  From ours, I'm guessing we regarded it as two separate trades; 1) Bynum into the Hump TPE, and 2) Anthony for a new TPE.  I think you'd be right that if it were regarded by us as two separate trades, that we'd have to get something back, like your super protected 2nd, or a non-guaranteed contract.

Stuff's hard as Chinese rifmatic.

God, it seems so Mickey Mouse, but as long as Danny is taking full advantage, I'm all for it.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Regardless.....Keep Bynum...Cut Pressey.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Danny does.  Bogans for Powell, a Trade Exception, and 2 seconds if I'm not mistaken.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale