Author Topic: Bradley's contract  (Read 3125 times)

Bradley's contract
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:37:43 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
How can Avery Bradley's contract be considered a "bargain" if by chance and in time he is "worth it" being paid 8 million per season over the next 4 seasons?

From my viewpoint, for Bradley's contract to be a bargain then Avery needs to perform and produce basketball statistics close to a 10-12 million per season type of player.

If Bradley doesn't produce those types of statistical numbers then he has to impact the game in a way a player that is earning a salary AND producing numbers like a 10-12 million per season is or has already.

Just because the league as a whole will be inundated with a higher revenue thus allowing the salary cap to be inflated.....this does not constitute that any player, let a lone an unproven player of Avery Bradley's calibur....doesn't mean he EARNED his contract.

What it does mean, more a long the lines, the rest of the league's cap space was inflated so each and every other team are ABLE to offer larger contracts to whomever player....makes Bradley situation & contract not a bargain.....but an "it is what it is" or "fortunate" circumstance.

Time changes, things change and Bradley just happened to be there for the ride.

If Bradley improves his game, increases his impact on the game, he could be totally worth his contract, but he will not be considered a "bargain" until he EXCEEDS his worth & game on various levels.

Re: Bradley's contract
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Interesting thoughts.
IMHO Ainge simply made a gamble that at 23 AB still has a significant upside. The key thing is to improve his 3p%. If he does this, then he will be an elite 3 and D SG.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I want to see Bradley improve his game. I would like to see his production jump to somewhere along the lines of 17-18 ppg, 4-5 rpg, 1.7-1.8 spg on 45%/37%/85% shootings.

For Bradley's contract to be a bargain, not just "viewed as a bargain"......then the rest of the players either have to be "overpaid" or "underproduce" compared to Avery's numbers.

If we want to compare current contracts with the current new TV broadcasting deals, with the old contracts and old TV broadcasting deals, the most, if not all contracts will look like "bargains".

But maybe some of us are already doing that comparison and possibly over projecting future dealings. Maybe Bradley's deal will, in the end, be a bargain.

Why?

Because, quite possibly, more and more teams will have an influx of cap money to spend on potential new players.

These teams may compete with one another and drive up the contracts per season salary.

All the while, Avery's contract stays constant.

But the above scenario is not in Avery's hands. He had no control over what other teams may or may not do. What Avery has control over is how he practices, how he conditions, how he learns about his teammates and from them and from his coaches.

I do think Avery has a good chance to earn his contract and if other teams with "mad money" and the free spirit to hand pay days out to players.....then Avery's deal may indeed end up as a bargain.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
let's put it this way, excluding players on rookie contracts, who else could you get at the SG position for that kind of money that would be better than Bradley?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
We overpaid but I'm happy we didn't let him go. He's one of our guys and we deserve to see him in his prime after years of injuries teasing us. He may finally put it all together.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
In the end people just over-analyze the word "bargain".

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Interesting thoughts.
IMHO Ainge simply made a gamble that at 23 AB still has a significant upside. The key thing is to improve his 3p%. If he does this, then he will be an elite 3 and D SG.

He can't realistically be expected to raise his 3pt% by much more, he shot 40% last season. He makes 8m and while you forum heads think you know what his value is, it doesn't matter, Ainge obviously feels different.

Every time I turn people say how AB is overpaid, I have yet to see real comparisons of people who make less (not a rookie pay scale) who are as good on both ends as AB is and at 23y.o.!

I agree, AB can't dribble or pass very well. Other than that, he will be fine if healthy. I know he missed 20 games last season but he would probably have missed closer to 10 if we actually had a playoff team, they purposely held him out longer as an extra precaution.

Sometimes I think you people are a little too salty (acting as if it's their money) and are just HOPING a player fails because you don't like them or have unrealistic expectations. It's funny to me because I don't care who they are, if they suit up for a team I root for I HOPE for the best out of them! Like I said b4, I HATE Kobe but if he played for us I would cheer for his best (still hate him and please NO lol). 

Making 500 threads saying the same thing also doesn't make sense to me.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting thoughts.

He can't realistically be expected to raise his 3pt% by much more, he shot 40% last season. He makes 8m and while you forum heads think you know what his value is, it doesn't matter, Ainge obviously feels different.

Every time I turn people say how AB is overpaid, I have yet to see real comparisons of people who make less (not a rookie pay scale) who are as good on both ends as AB is and at 23y.o.!

I agree, AB can't dribble or pass very well. Other than that, he will be fine if healthy. I know he missed 20 games last season but he would probably have missed closer to 10 if we actually had a playoff team, they purposely held him out longer as an extra precaution.

Sometimes I think you people are a little too salty (acting as if it's their money) and are just HOPING a player fails because you don't like them or have unrealistic expectations. It's funny to me because I don't care who they are, if they suit up for a team I root for I HOPE for the best out of them! Like I said b4, I HATE Kobe but if he played for us I would cheer for his best (still hate him and please NO lol). 

Thanks for the correction. I had heard so many times that AB cannot shoot that I absorbed the info without ever looking at his stats. Yet, his FG% is low, and his 3p performance might be improved in the sense that he made only 199 shots in 60 games (3.3 shots per game).

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Interesting thoughts.

Thanks for the correction. I had heard so many times that AB cannot shoot that I absorbed the info without ever looking at his stats. Yet, his FG% is low, and his 3p performance might be improved in the sense that he made only 199 shots in 60 games (3.3 shots per game).

That has to do with shot selection, he realized last season that he needs to step back a little and take the 3 instead of a long 2. Hopefully it translates from here on.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Interesting thoughts.

That has to do with shot selection, he realized last season that he needs to step back a little and take the 3 instead of a long 2. Hopefully it translates from here on.
I am not sure I follow your argument here- so apologies in advance if I misinterpret what you say.
In any case, what I tried to say was that with only 3 3p shots per game, he is still not a good (enough) shooter bcs the small number of shots translates into a better selection of shots.
Anyway, Stevens is in love with 3's so he ll definitely shoot more this year.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Interesting thoughts.

I am not sure I follow your argument here- so apologies in advance if I misinterpret what you say.
In any case, what I tried to say was that with only 3 3p shots per game, he is still not a good (enough) shooter bcs the small number of shots translates into a better selection of shots.
Anyway, Stevens is in love with 3's so he ll definitely shoot more this year.

He could probably make more (around the same %) if he stepped back and took more, there is no evidence he couldn't maintain the % if he took more instead of so many of the long 2s. If he does that this season then he will score more.

I would make the argument that shooting less means you need to be more accurate than you do when taking more. Let's say you take 6 3s  and hit 40%, you have more shots you can miss and judge why you are missing them and fix it in that game.

Should he take more, yep. That doesn't mean those who take more are better shooters.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ainge paid a lot of money for someone who will be backing up James Young next year.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Ainge paid a lot of money for someone who will be backing up James Young next year.

Let's say AB is the same as last year, next season, that would mean JY has to be better to replace him in the lineup... why is that a bad thing when JY is getting rookie pay and you have AB coming off behind him at 8m? I want the best out of both of them while you see it as a negative, when that's 2 ABs (one better) for 10m. Didn't some of you want to pay AB 5m anyway?

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Interesting thoughts.

His FG% is low ... because he shot a lot of 3PT shots!  But FG% by itself is not a good measure of shooting for players that shoot a lot of 3PT shots.  A better measure is eFG%, which properly weights 3PT shots for their additional value.   Bradley's eFG% was a very healthy 48.5% last year.

That said - to your point that he only averaged 3.3 per game, you have to look at what actually happened last year.

As ImShakHeIsShaq noted, Bradley started the year shooting very few 3s and instead was shooting a lot of mid-long 2pt jumpers.  This drove many of us nuts.   But gradually, as the year progressed, he moved more and more outside the arc.

In November of last season, he averaged just 2.2 three point shot attempts per game.

In March and April of last season, he averaged 5.7 threes per game.  And hit them at a 47% clip!

Judging by how he has shot threes this pre-season, the expectation is that he will continue to use it as his primary weapon as he was doing in the last half of last season.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Interesting thoughts.

bradley has 2 more years until he enters what is commonly considered to be the prime years for most nba players. right now, bradley does a credible job of shooting from around 20 to 21 feet from the basket, which drives me crazy. instead of those very very long 2 pointers, he needs to take one step further from the basket and shoot a 3 pointer. if he can make 3 pointers at 40%+ and play world class defense, he is a keeper.

my main concern about his salary was its impact on the team's salary cap. but with the new TV, that no longer seems to be a major concern. i am happy with his deal now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva