Author Topic: Would You Prefer to be in Denver or Philly's Situation?  (Read 2573 times)

Would You Prefer to be in Denver or Philly's Situation?
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
So you have Denver's treadmill state of limbo verses Philly's 'potential for massive potential' stock pile. The Nuggets have several established yet still relatively young players in Lawson, Gallinari, Afflalo, and Faried, yet no franchise guys. If all breaks right they could win 50+ games even in the West, but are probably a safer bet to not even make the playoffs. They have Nurkic and Harris who look to be promising rookies, and a right to swap picks with NYK in 2016, for assets. Here's their salary situation which for some reason doesn't include Faried's 4/50 extension.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

I don't even feel like bothering with Philly, as I think everyone here knows in depth about Embiid's situation, Saric, etc. I will point out besides their own nearly guaranteed top 4 pick, they have Miami's top 10 protected pick which figures to fall between 15-20 this year. They're giving us their 2nd but getting Orlando's 2nd so it's close to a wash.

So who do you think's in better shape? I think conventional wisdom says the Sixers are correct in swinging for the fences, but I like Denver because I feel they only have to catch lightning in a bottle once.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:27:25 PM by Nerf DPOY »

Re: Would You Prefer to be in Denver or Philly's Situation?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
no doubt, id prefer Philly's. Denver is stuck in the perpetual wheel of mediocrity.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hate to say it but Philly is in a better place because they have a lot of good young players locked up on the cheap for a while, and right when they need to start spending money or cutting bait they should get another cheap guy (Saric) who will show up.

I also think Philly has the advantage in getting free agents.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Denver.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Philly's in a better position to build through the draft, whereas Denver's in a better position to build an immediate contender.  Depends exactly on how much you value the window of contention: Philly's plan is super risky, but if things generally break right, they'd probably have a significantly wider window of contention than Denver.  The trade off, as I just mentioned, is that the plan is very risky and could fail, whereas Denver has the relatively safe option of cashing in on their assets right now and possibly contending for the next few seasons or so, depending on who'd be left after trading for an impact player or two.

I'd probably pick Denver.  They have much more established talent at the moment.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If you had to liquidate your assets for picks or clones of a decent player which team would get more assets I wonder.

Or which team has more assets?

Like a year ago the team that probably would have gotten the most assets would have been the Heat or possibly the Thunder.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Denver's also got the ridiculous home court advantage. You could put this C's roster on that home court, tell them to play fast, and they'd threaten 35 wins on the season.

Philly has... Philly fans. No thanks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
If you had to liquidate your assets for picks or clones of a decent player which team would get more assets I wonder.

Like a year ago the team that probably would have gotten the most assets would have been the Heat or possibly the Thunder.

I've argued this before with people. Some here seemed overwhelmed with the assets Philly as amassed, but anyone could do what they did. Selling off everything and punting two seasons in a row to titillate the minds of typical daydreaming arm chair GM's, who fail to see somehow that the current product has nothing going for it, is actually a pretty easy task.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:52:58 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Philly. They 've got a realistic chance to build a good team with all the talent they have amassed.
But really because Hinkie is so much fan. You never know what's coming next.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »

fitzhickey

Denver.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I've argued this before with people. Some here seemed overwhelmed with the assets Philly as amassed, but anyone could do what they did. Selling off everything and punting two seasons in a row to titillate the minds of typical daydreaming arm chair GM's, who fail to see somehow that the current product has nothing going for it, is actually a pretty easy task.
But waaaiiitt a minute. Philly actually has direction. Denver doesn't.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

But waaaiiitt a minute. Philly actually has direction. Denver doesn't.
Precisely  ;D

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Well if you consider plateauing or going in circles a direction, then Denver has a direction.

They're good but not great.

I don't realistically see how Denver can possibly plan to be better than say the Clippers any time soon, and I certainly don't think they're contenders.

The Trailblazers?

The Rockets?

The Pelicans?

They're like 5th or something in the West. Whoop de doo. It's a team built for the next three years and three pretty quick playoff exits.

Philly is aiming at like 2018 or 19 and actually has a shot at it.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
Well if you consider plateauing or going in circles a direction, then Denver has a direction.

They're good but not great.

I don't realistically see how Denver can possibly plan to be better than say the Clippers any time soon, and I certainly don't think they're contenders.

The Trailblazers?

The Rockets?

The Pelicans?

They're like 5th or something in the West. Whoop de doo. It's a team built for the next three years and three pretty quick playoff exits.

Philly is aiming at like 2018 or 19 and actually has a shot at it.

I'm not sure if I understand your post.

Are the Rockets, Blazers, and Pelicans teams you're citing that have no direction compared to Philly's "direction"??? Those teams are superior by comparison to Philly's predicament.