Author Topic: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love  (Read 9287 times)

Re: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
If you look only at the aggregated past, then the answer is "of course Sully is not comparable to Love." Thing is, things change. Constantly. Players improve. The good ones, constantly. I'm much more interested in how Sully will perform THIS SEASON compared with Love, than in their relative pasts.

Some may believe that past performance indicates future performance. That is clearly not true when speaking of relatively-new NBA players. They improve, constantly.

And Sully till now has been hampered by injuries, first with back surgery, then his hand, etc. This coming season is his first "clean" one (fingers crossed).

So what is the best data we have right now to help inform our JaredS crystal ball gazing? Well, imo it's this preseason.

And if we look at this preseason, Sullinger is outperforming Kevin Love. Kevin's claim to fame lies in his 3pt shooting and rebounding. At rebounding, Sully is WAY ahead of Love right now. Sully's per-36 rebounds are 13.84 (2.97 offensive, 10.88 defensive), while Love's per-36 = 10.73 (2.48 offensive, 8.25 defensive). Sully's Total Rebounding Percentage is 21.38%. Love's is 16.97%. (Source: RealGM)

I.e., Sullinger is rebounding approximately 25% better than Love right now.

And re 3pt shooting: Sully's hitting them at 53.8%, Love at ~58.8%. Close.

What about defense? I don't think anyone believes Love is better than Sully there. Quite the opposite.

So -- bottom line: IF things continue as they are unfolding RIGHT NOW -- Sully will outperform Love this season.

Of course, preseason might not carry into the regular season. That's obvious. But it very well might. I think the odds are that it will carry forward. Heck, if anything, Sully is likely to KEEP IMPROVING. I don't think Love will.... certainly not as much.

So the answer here is the opposite of what it seems to be at first glance. If current trends continue -- yes, Sully will be "greater than" Love. This season.

(Oh, and btw: if you think Love's a better passer, etc., look at their relative assist numbers so far: Love AST% = 18.67, Sully's AST% = 21.83. Just sayin)

1. No reason to compare preseasosn against  players who are trying to make a team.

2. If you gauge players by their per 36. Jerry stack House played 5 minutes for the nets n his per 36 was through the roof.

3. Love had Pekovich to lower his rebounding stats. Sully? Wellll lets jus say he had his back side to stop him.. and Kelly's hair

Re: Sullinger > Kevin Love
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Maybe in terms of weight, food consumed, or days spent on the couch.

Buahahaha tp +1
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »

• Jayson Tatum
Is it posssible for sully to become better then love? Sure.. Also possible Pressy becomes Jordan. Sullys chances are probably more realistic. Love did this day in and day out. Jared just  touches Love's numbers once a month or 2. Everyone has a game when you look at their #'s and think "[dang], he felt like Lebron last night. Do it against Big Al and Deandre every time you play them. Then ill be impressed

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If you look only at the aggregated past, then the answer is "of course Sully is not comparable to Love." Thing is, things change. Constantly. Players improve. The good ones, constantly. I'm much more interested in how Sully will perform THIS SEASON compared with Love, than in their relative pasts.

Some may believe that past performance indicates future performance. That is clearly not true when speaking of relatively-new NBA players. They improve, constantly.

And Sully till now has been hampered by injuries, first with back surgery, then his hand, etc. This coming season is his first "clean" one (fingers crossed).

So what is the best data we have right now to help inform our JaredS crystal ball gazing? Well, imo it's this preseason.

And if we look at this preseason, Sullinger is outperforming Kevin Love. Kevin's claim to fame lies in his 3pt shooting and rebounding. At rebounding, Sully is WAY ahead of Love right now. Sully's per-36 rebounds are 13.84 (2.97 offensive, 10.88 defensive), while Love's per-36 = 10.73 (2.48 offensive, 8.25 defensive). Sully's Total Rebounding Percentage is 21.38%. Love's is 16.97%. (Source: RealGM)

What about defense? I don't think anyone believes Love is better than Sully there. Quite the opposite.

So -- bottom line: IF things continue as they are unfolding RIGHT NOW -- Sully will outperform Love this season.

Of course, preseason might not carry into the regular season. That's obvious. But it very well might. I think the odds are that it will carry forward. Heck, if anything, Sully is likely to KEEP IMPROVING. I don't think Love will.... certainly not as much.

So the answer here is the opposite of what it seems to be at first glance. If current trends continue -- yes, Sully will be "greater than" Love. This season.

(Oh, and btw: if you think Love's a better passer, etc., look at their relative assist numbers so far: Love AST% = 18.67, Sully's AST% = 21.83. Just sayin)

1. No reason to compare preseasosn against  players who are trying to make a team.

2. If you gauge players by their per 36. Jerry stack House played 5 minutes for the nets n his per 36 was through the roof.

3. Love had Pekovich to lower his rebounding stats. Sully? Wellll lets jus say he had his back side to stop him.. and Kelly's hair

If only Sully hadn't played with KG in his rookie season...

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »

• Jayson Tatum

Sullly's rookie season he played 20 minutes a game (not sure if off the bench) to KG's 30 (8.2 rbs) while K Love played 34 minutes starting to pekovich 30 who averaged 8.8.

So yes my point still stands. Not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing with me.. Not sure if it was sarcasm or not

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The idea that Pek was stealing rebounds from anyone is hilarious. And wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »

• Jayson Tatum
The idea that Pek was stealing rebounds from anyone is hilarious. And wrong.

Hey D.O.S .. one of the posters were trying to use some advanced statistical formula to explain why Sully is a better overall rebounder then Love. I was just explaining that  Pek's had something to do with it.

He also claimed Sully 1.6 Ast a game some how goes through a statistical formula to project the output of sully a better passer then love. SMH

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let's post this thread if he gets there.   He is not quite there yet and does not touch him on outlet passing or scoring.   But there have been signs of improvement, unfortunately, not in conditioning or being a complete pro.

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Sullly's rookie season he played 20 minutes a game (not sure if off the bench) to KG's 30 (8.2 rbs) while K Love played 34 minutes starting to pekovich 30 who averaged 8.8.

So yes my point still stands. Not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing with me.. Not sure if it was sarcasm or not

I'm saying that there's no need to dismiss Sully's ability to rebound, he did well with Garnett on his side to simply shoot down that insinuation of yours. He played a lot of minutes with KG, and I'm not going to trivialize either his performance on rebounding while boxing out opposing team centers which he mostly had to do last year and quite a bit as well in his rookie season when playing alongside Bass.

The point is that you don't need to accentuate Love's ability to rebound by diminishing Sully's.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:05:04 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
For a few quarters or a game or so yeah....he can put up simular stats

K Love was like setting records for most double doubles , he brings it very consistent ,  nearly every night he has a high double double . 

Sully has the ability and skill and is STILL improving on threes , give him another couple years . Sully works hard on his skills ......but ..

His issue is taking care of his body ...... I think Love is a gym rat , always trying to improve his body .

Sully , needs a better off court health, and worth ethic .

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:04 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Klove does it at a consistent level, but only on one side of the game
Sully also need to play defense while put up monster numbers
so I think it's save to say that Sully is almost at Love's level

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yes or No?
Sullinger will gave a more positive impact than Kevin Love.
I say yes.

Well, neither of them can play defense.

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Both of their D is horrible.   Sully is a great rebounder but is out of shape often and plays between the foul lines as he does not always make it up the court.  I think if he got in shape,  I think his ceiling would be even higher.   Maybe he could catch, Love.   But that is a heck of a maybe given what we have seen so far.

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Yes Sully will be more valuable than KLove this year.  He will be within Kloves stats.Now you take into consideration his salary and the fact that we didn't trade a ton of picks to get him. The conclusion is Sully is greater than or equal to KLove.  Now posting that Pressey is greater than Jordan just to be flippant just makes you look like a moron.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Sully's defense is not horrible.  He has his limitations, but he uses his strength and his big body very well to battle effectively against taller guys on the interior, and he gobbles up defensive rebounds.

Those are big pluses defensively. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson