Author Topic: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love  (Read 9296 times)

Re: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Can't believe people are saying Sully is  better than Love...

Next James Young will be the next James Harden.

Yes optimistically I do think Sully can be a Love lite, but to say hes better as of now is a outrageous statement.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You guys are missing the most important point here - yes, Sully is greater than Kevin Love (sarcasm), but is he greater than Darko? ;D   

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yes or No?
Sullinger will gave a more positive impact than Kevin Love.
I say yes.
And with this thread CelticsBlog abandons the realm of logic and delves into the realm of insanity.
Coming soon: Phil Pressey> Michael Jordan.

1. thanks, someone just made that thread lol

and 2. yes, Sullinger is NOT better than Love. Love is a top 20 player, arguably top 15 depending on your argument but that's for another thread. Let me know when Sullinger gets a 30-30

sully has 31-16 and a 25-21... hes getting there

He's got dem mits ;D

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wont go greater, not yet atleast (or maybe not ever).

I mean, he has shown that he can put Kevin Love numbers before. If he does that consistently, then we can start talking "better than". Until then, he's not close.

There's promise there, but will he reach that potential? We will see.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I wont go greater, not yet atleast (or maybe not ever).

I mean, he has shown that he can put Kevin Love numbers before. If he does that consistently, then we can start talking "better than". Until then, he's not close.

There's promise there, but will he reach that potential? We will see.

This.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Sullinger > Kevin Love
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yes or No?
Sullinger will gave a more positive impact than Kevin Love.
I say yes.
And with this thread CelticsBlog abandons the realm of logic and delves into the realm of insanity.
Coming soon: Phil Pressey> Michael Jordan.
oooooooooh, you pressey hater!!!!!!!!!!!  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Kids, don't do drugs.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 01:35:50 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I realize it's all jokes but Sullinger is nowhere close to being as far away from Love as Pressey is from Jordan. I know some of you are in love with Love but be more realistic, please.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Great thread, be it delusional or otherwise. It's the right time of year to be blindly optimistic. Sully could indeed have a big year this year and turn heads. 14 & 8 is realistic. If he goes for 18 & 10 we may start thinking we were lucky Minny rejected our trade and we keep those 3 draft picks.

14 and 8 is realistic in your opinion? Reading stuff like that, makes me think you're not really following our players at all. Sully had 14 and 8 last season, in less than 28 minutes of playing time. That was with a hand that really bothered him, and with poor conditioning.

Sully is healthy, in better shape, and with a good hand. Now i think we can agree his three point shooting has improved. He will probably play some more minutes than last season, let's say about 31.

And your guess is that he'll have about the same numbers as he had last season??

Well, i think your wrong. I think 16,5 and 9 are realistic numbers. And i wouldn't be all that surprised if his numbers would climb even higher than that.

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:44 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
There is no case for this yet. I love Sully. Think he will be a great player, probably an all-star. Comparing him to a guy who averaged 21/10 per36 in his career while shooting 36% from 3 is ludicrous. Sully averages 15/10 with 27% from 3. That is a massive difference. In margin of victory terms that is about 16 more wins per year, or the difference between the 1st seed and the 8th seed in the East last last year, 1st and 10th in the West. That is not insignificant.

I know I'm glossing over things but the comparison is crazy until Sully starts to be the best player on his own team. It would be hard to make the case he was even better than Brandon Bass last season.

The good news is that Sully is 4 years younger than Love. Their numbers at the same age are somewhat comparable. Love was a better, at basically everything but they both averaged 17 points and over 10 boards per-36. Love's shooting was significantly better.

Sully could become a Love-like player. He has the tools. I'm not putting my money on it happening because, statistically, Love is such a rare player it's just not likely.

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I was considering rushing over to the other thread to talk about how, on a pound for pound basis, or cost effectiveness, Phil Pressey could be better than Michael Jordan. However, as much as I agree that Sully is quite a long way from matching Love's impact, I reckon, by the time he gets to Love's age, he will have a very well rounded game. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I truly believe Pucaccia is Sully's Dad, it could be true, I know he is involved a lot and is present at a lot of games. I could see creating a similar thread if my son was in the NBA. Also, there is some truth to it since Sully weighs a lot more than Love so Sully is literally greater than Love in waist size.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I was considering rushing over to the other thread to talk about how, on a pound for pound basis, or cost effectiveness, Phil Pressey could be better than Michael Jordan.

It got locked because it was unlikely to go anywhere productive.

Why the rest of the forums are still open is anyone's guess.

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Sully hits a few 3's in the preseason n now he's jesus lol! Kevin Love's passing baility alone puts him in a different group of talent. 20 n 19 with no Green or Rondo.. Geesh!

And i thought I was being optimistic when I made the thread bout us possibly being the next PHoenix Suns!!

So Apprently Sully= AL jefferson body + Jason Kapono arms lol

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »

Offline DRJ1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
If you look only at the aggregated past, then the answer is "of course Sully is not comparable to Love." Thing is, things change. Constantly. Players improve. The good ones, constantly. I'm much more interested in how Sully will perform THIS SEASON compared with Love, than in their relative pasts.

Some may believe that past performance indicates future performance. That is clearly not true when speaking of relatively-new NBA players. They improve, constantly.

And Sully till now has been hampered by injuries, first with back surgery, then his hand, etc. This coming season is his first "clean" one (fingers crossed).

So what is the best data we have right now to help inform our JaredS crystal ball gazing? Well, imo it's this preseason.

And if we look at this preseason, Sullinger is outperforming Kevin Love. Kevin's claim to fame lies in his 3pt shooting and rebounding. At rebounding, Sully is WAY ahead of Love right now. Sully's per-36 rebounds are 13.84 (2.97 offensive, 10.88 defensive), while Love's per-36 = 10.73 (2.48 offensive, 8.25 defensive). Sully's Total Rebounding Percentage is 21.38%. Love's is 16.97%. (Source: RealGM)

I.e., Sullinger is rebounding approximately 25% better than Love right now.

And re 3pt shooting: Sully's hitting them at 53.8%, Love at ~58.8%. Close.

What about defense? I don't think anyone believes Love is better than Sully there. Quite the opposite.

So -- bottom line: IF things continue as they are unfolding RIGHT NOW -- Sully will outperform Love this season.

Of course, preseason might not carry into the regular season. That's obvious. But it very well might. I think the odds are that it will carry forward. Heck, if anything, Sully is likely to KEEP IMPROVING. I don't think Love will.... certainly not as much.

So the answer here is the opposite of what it seems to be at first glance. If current trends continue -- yes, Sully will be "greater than" Love. This season.

(Oh, and btw: if you think Love's a better passer, etc., look at their relative assist numbers so far: Love AST% = 18.67, Sully's AST% = 21.83. Just sayin)
Anything's possibbulllllll