Author Topic: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love  (Read 9294 times)

Re: Sullinger > Kevin Love
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yes or No?
Sullinger will gave a more positive impact than Kevin Love.
I say yes.
And with this thread CelticsBlog abandons the realm of logic and delves into the realm of insanity.
Coming soon: Phil Pressey> Michael Jordan.

The question is, why not?  Similar growth through first two years. 

Sully 6PPG/5.9RPG and 13.3PPG/8.1RPG
Love 11.1PPG/9.1RPG and 14PPG/11RPG

If Sully's had come out as Freshman, he was projected to be top 10 pick, maybe even top 3.

There is no reason why he can't become what Love is now.  That's why all summer, I was hoping (and writing here) that we kept Sully and the picks rather than dealing for Love.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes or No?
I say yes.
And with this thread CelticsBlog abandons the realm of logic and delves into the realm of insanity.

If Sully's had come out as Freshman, he was projected to be top 10 pick, maybe even top 3.

There is no reason why he can't become what Love is now.  That's why all summer, I was hoping (and writing here) that we kept Sully and the picks rather than dealing for Love.
Look up the minutes per game for both of them and you'll see a fairly huge difference in baseline production and amount of improvement. In many ways Sullinger was worse last year than as a rookie.

In particular Love didn't become less efficient when he started taking threes his sophomore year and then his TS% shot up in his third year.

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yes or No?
I say yes.

Look up the minutes per game for both of them and you'll see a fairly huge difference in baseline production and amount of improvement. In many ways Sullinger was worse last year than as a rookie.

In particular Love didn't become less efficient when he started taking threes his sophomore year and then his TS% shot up in his third year.
and one additional point to consider, at least so far, is that love takes 3 pointers that are often contested. people know he is good and try to defend them. sully's 3 pointers are mostly uncontested. people don't respect that shot from him yet.

but even so, sully shot 26.7% for 3 pters last year and love shot 37.6%. look over their careers and it is clear the love is the better long range shooter.

rebounds? harder to say. sully may pull down more since he plays under the basket more than love does.

comparing them may be a fool's errand to start with. they play fairly different styles.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Good point. Love does make a lot of contested shots.
Sully has some inside skills and rebounding abilities that are similar to Love. He's also got similar draftexpress measurables, which is why I think the two players are compared a lot on CBlog.

Bottom line is that Love is the vastly superior player right now, but Sully does have enough upside (and backside) that C's fans can be excited about him too.

I'm expecting lots from Sully this year, as it's critical he and Oly turn the corner and become more dangerous matchups for the opposition.

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Quote from: Pucaccia link=topic=73890.msgSG 1748366#msg1748366 date=1413924819
Yes or No?
I say yes.

Lol you think?

Love is in his 7th year now and Sully already has one up on him - hes played in a playoff game Haha

Plus Love well be lucky to average 18/9 next year in Cleveland.   Don't be surprised if Sully is putting up numbers as good or better than that before his 7th season.

I think also that his skills are more likely to translate on a team with lots of talent, while Loves will drop off dramatically in Cleveland

Re: Sullinger greater than Kevin Love
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the reality is Love > Sully but if Sully can produce quality minutes at PF and average about about 18/10 for the season, he's definitely the better bargain over Love in terms of contract.

personally, I'm just pleased that Sully has shown noticeable improvement over last year.