Author Topic: Next big chance?  (Read 8318 times)

Re: Next big chance?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Kobe is the last player we need. PP is better at this point and is 1/4 the cost.

The Celts need to nab someone like Alec Burks who may have real upside and is already kinda good. That seems to be something we could do. Get the future star not the former star.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Who do you think the next big player becoming available to pair with Rondo will be?

One guy I could think of would be Cousins, maybe even Aldridge or Marc Gasol decide to leave if their teams don't improve.

Also, this one is a huge stretch, but what about Paul George? Indiana had problems scoring even with him, and now that he's out for the season, I can see them really struggling. West is expiring, Hibbert may decide to opt-out of this contract in the summer, and maybe, just maybe, Larry decides to blow it up like Jazz did recently. Maybe even he goes for that high pick at the trade deadline.

If we could somehow acquire George and then go either for Gasol in FA, or maybe try to trade for someone like Horford, that would be awesome.

A potential lineup of Rondo, Bradley, George, Sully and Horford/Gasol gets me very excited.

if it's a center and we decide to keep Rondo

I would trade every one else on the team for either DeMarcus Cousins, or Andre Drummond

Either team would say no...

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wouldn't actually. Love Kobe and think he's fit great with Rondo. His cap number screws everything up for us. His $25M basically makes it so we can't sign anyone else around him.

PROOF we need a remove TP button?

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 12:48:26 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
You will have a big problem navigating the salary cap with those guys.

Gasol is a max player. So pencil him in for $22M/yr. Half the league will line up to give him that money and the Knicks will be at the front of that line.

Bradley already has a contract averaging $8M/yr. Smith makes $14M/yr. Together those guys make up 1/3 of a team's cap. Now you're at 2/3 of the cap with 3 guys. Add Rondo's max deal and you're at the cap before you factor in Green, our team option young guys and Turner/Wallace. None of the money makes sense.

Even if you pay Detroit to swap us Wallace/Turner/Zeller for Smith (with at least one pick from us) we don't have enough for a max deal afterwards, let alone Gasol AND Gay.

We'd have ~$13M in cap space to work with (including Rondo's cap hold). If we can sign Gasol for $13M then we'd have nothing left to sign Gay. There is no way Gasol signs for $13M. If Green declined his player option we'd have enough to sign Gasol to the maximum but then Gay would have to take the minimum to play here. Unlikely. At that point we'd need to sign Rondo which would push our salary to around $78M if we max him out. $80M if Gay takes the minimum.

If you give up on Gay (and you should) and just keep Green on his $9.2M player option then the money is a little easier to manage and you only need 1.5 miracles (Gasol at $13M and DET taking Wallace+picks for Smith) to happen.

True, good points. You're much better on the financial aspects than I am! I think Smith would become rejuvenated just by getting out of that Detroit mess and playing back in position, along with Rondo. Would a lineup of Gasol, Sullinger, Green, Bradley and Rondo be feasible though? Other than Gasol, we'd really need another legit go-to-scorer. Aside from that, I hope Sullinger can make great strides this season.