Author Topic: Next big chance?  (Read 8331 times)

Re: Next big chance?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Becoming available?  Hordford, Kobe, Hibbert, and Lopez are probably 4 guys that are available for the right price. Beyond them no big names I can see being added to the block.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Who do you think the next big player becoming available to pair with Rondo will be?

A potential lineup of Rondo, Bradley, George, Sully and Horford/Gasol gets me very excited.

Two years ago I would have said...

C Gasol
PF Smith
SF Gay
SG Bradley
PG Rondo

And next season, maybe it could still happen..

If I may say, I would kill to have that lineup next season.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol.  Both players will be UFA's in 2015.

Both can be had if the offer is right before they get to free agency.  I don't think they come to Boston via free agency.  Ainge would have to make the package right for both teams.  He's got the assets to make a legit offer for both.

Why would LA trade Jordan for draft picks? Their window is open now and he's the anchor of their defense.
Methinks this is the wrong thread to talk reason.

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm stealing an idea, going completely crazy and saying Anthony Davis.

Also...maybe Chris Bosh or D Wade

DeMar DeRozen?

Bradley Beal?

Klay Thompson?

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Becoming available?  Hordford, Kobe, Hibbert, and Lopez are probably 4 guys that are available for the right price. Beyond them no big names I can see being added to the block.

Interesting. Let's assume for a moment that Kobe decides he's not going to win in LA and wants out for his last year or two, and believes playing with Rondo would be worth it.

Would you trade some very good assets, let's say Smart and the Nets picks, for 2 years of Kobe and Rondo in Boston?

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Interesting. Let's assume for a moment that Kobe decides he's not going to win in LA and wants out for his last year or two, and believes playing with Rondo would be worth it.

Would you trade some very good assets, let's say Smart and the Nets picks, for 2 years of Kobe and Rondo in Boston?

Yup

But it would take a lot more than Smart to make the salaries match as Kobe makes close to 30 mil.

The Lakers would have to take back Wallace, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, etc.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Yup

But it would take a lot more than Smart to make the salaries match as Kobe makes close to 30 mil.

The Lakers would have to take back Wallace, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, etc.

depends, if Kobe is on the wrong side of 30 and is in a sharp decline this season or the next, no way

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
No chance a true star is available. A Rudy Gay or a possible up and comer could be had.

Gerald Green (non-star w/ shooting & hops) may be a good investment after next year if he builds in what he did last year. I'm sure there are other under the radar guys that could become something but there is obvious familiarity with Gerald.

I'd love to nab Dieng from Minny for Kelly & Zeller & the Cav's 1st rounder. Too rich? We need him.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 04:24:25 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Who do you think the next big player becoming available to pair with Rondo will be?

A potential lineup of Rondo, Bradley, George, Sully and Horford/Gasol gets me very excited.

Two years ago I would have said...

C Gasol
PF Smith
SF Gay
SG Bradley
PG Rondo

And next season, maybe it could still happen..

You will have a big problem navigating the salary cap with those guys.

Gasol is a max player. So pencil him in for $22M/yr. Half the league will line up to give him that money and the Knicks will be at the front of that line.

Bradley already has a contract averaging $8M/yr. Smith makes $14M/yr. Together those guys make up 1/3 of a team's cap. Now you're at 2/3 of the cap with 3 guys. Add Rondo's max deal and you're at the cap before you factor in Green, our team option young guys and Turner/Wallace. None of the money makes sense.

Even if you pay Detroit to swap us Wallace/Turner/Zeller for Smith (with at least one pick from us) we don't have enough for a max deal afterwards, let alone Gasol AND Gay.

We'd have ~$13M in cap space to work with (including Rondo's cap hold). If we can sign Gasol for $13M then we'd have nothing left to sign Gay. There is no way Gasol signs for $13M. If Green declined his player option we'd have enough to sign Gasol to the maximum but then Gay would have to take the minimum to play here. Unlikely. At that point we'd need to sign Rondo which would push our salary to around $78M if we max him out. $80M if Gay takes the minimum.

If you give up on Gay (and you should) and just keep Green on his $9.2M player option then the money is a little easier to manage and you only need 1.5 miracles (Gasol at $13M and DET taking Wallace+picks for Smith) to happen.

Trades:
Wallace/Turner/Zeller/1st for Smith

Summer FAs:
Gasol ($13M)

Contracts:
Max Rondo ($22.2M)
Jeff Green accepts $9.2M player option

Roster:
Rondo ($22M)
Bradley ($8M)
Green ($9M)
Smith ($14M)
Gasol ($22M)

Smart ($3.4M), Young ($1.7M), Sullinger ($2.7M), KO ($2.2)

Completely fictional but it would be a fun team to watch. Gasol/Smith would be a more athletic version of what Memphis has. Our perimeter defense would be amazing and we'd have adequate 3pt shooting in Green and Bradley. Our bench would be thin but we are two deep at every position (Young playing SF/SG and Smart playing PG/SG).

Now all we need is a hypnotist.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 04:32:01 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

I wouldn't actually. Love Kobe and think he's fit great with Rondo. His cap number screws everything up for us. His $25M basically makes it so we can't sign anyone else around him.

Rondo + Kobe + Green + young guys is not enough. He has nearly that much in LA.

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I could see Indy trading Hibbert for multiple nice pieces, like a vet, prospect, and pick or two.

Bass, Zeller, Young, pick?  Smart?

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:47 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
with rondo assists machine
rondo is best paired with a low post big
lopez noah gortat dwight dirk duncan
since rondo does not attack more on baskets, doing a pick n' roll in any big + a knockdown shooter waiting for the ball is very very fine

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:01 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think the reality of the big player movement in the NBA is changing.

A. With cap rising, teams will hold on to their stars or even potential stars (look at Utah and the Gordon Hayward overpay...)
B. If a big name FA decides to move, it will be to a low tax, warm weather / potential champion - we are none of the above
C. The days of Dealer Danny hoaxing GMs out of their elite talent for pieces + pick are over (we couldn't even get Love from a desperate Minny)

Sooo......

We build through the draft - solid team oriented picks.
We build a plan based on strong team play - not superstars
We trade for low risk, high reward players
At some point we get lucky in the draft or great trade situation

No miracle season - but a strong and growing foundation. I am OK with this, are you?

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Kobe has just too many miles.  I can't see C's wanting a deal for Kobe because they still need development from bigs. I can see Knicks dealing for Kobe. He would be perfect for them.

Stat, Smith, Shump and 2018 for Kobe and Nash.
Knicks would have
starters:Calderon, Kobe, Melo, Bargs, Dal
Bench: Nash, Hardaway jr, Outlaw, Acy, Cole

Edit: Also depending on cap next year they could let Nash, Bargs and Dal walk after this season and sign Gasol. For
Calderon, kobe, Melo, ___, Gasol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:42:48 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hibbert, Horford and potentially Chris Bosh.

If Miami has a bad year and Wade breaks down, I could see Bosh and the Heat wanting to both separate ways. Don't get me wrong this would be very lucky but if we managed to get Hibbert or another star whilst retaining Rondo this would be plenty of incentive to get the next top 10 player to become available.
Who knows, even Durant might speak to Bosh in the offseason and ask him if he'd consider coming  somewhere to join him. 

Super duper Irish lucky happy ending scenario:
Durant loses to San Antonio again, sees how similar Stevens offense is to Popovich's, Rondo gets in his ear, whilst talking to Bosh in the offseason. Wade's knee blows out before the playoffs and his career is done. Deng's game deteriorates and Danny decides to offer up some Brooklyn picks, Kelly Olynk and the Celtics unprotected 2015 first round pick which lands at number 7. Riley takes the bait.
We send a Clippers pick and James Young to the Thunder in a sign and trade for Kevin Durant.

Rondo takes 15 million by 5 years to help out. We win 4 championships and prepare for banner 22 while the Lakers look like the 2013 Philadelphia 76ers.

Danny Ainge eventually gains Red Auerbach level respect and has now won the Celtics 5 championships.

I then I wake up.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:02:13 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.