Author Topic: Next big chance?  (Read 8330 times)

Next big chance?
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Who do you think the next big player becoming available to pair with Rondo will be?

One guy I could think of would be Cousins, maybe even Aldridge or Marc Gasol decide to leave if their teams don't improve.

Also, this one is a huge stretch, but what about Paul George? Indiana had problems scoring even with him, and now that he's out for the season, I can see them really struggling. West is expiring, Hibbert may decide to opt-out of this contract in the summer, and maybe, just maybe, Larry decides to blow it up like Jazz did recently. Maybe even he goes for that high pick at the trade deadline.

If we could somehow acquire George and then go either for Gasol in FA, or maybe try to trade for someone like Horford, that would be awesome.

A potential lineup of Rondo, Bradley, George, Sully and Horford/Gasol gets me very excited.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Re: Next big chance?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Who do you think the next big player becoming available to pair with Rondo will be?

One guy I could think of would be Cousins, maybe even Aldridge or Marc Gasol decide to leave if their teams don't improve.

Also, this one is a huge stretch, but what about Paul George? Indiana had problems scoring even with him, and now that he's out for the season, I can see them really struggling. West is expiring, Hibbert may decide to opt-out of this contract in the summer, and maybe, just maybe, Larry decides to blow it up like Jazz did recently. Maybe even he goes for that high pick at the trade deadline.

If we could somehow acquire George and then go either for Gasol in FA, or maybe try to trade for someone like Horford, that would be awesome.

A potential lineup of Rondo, Bradley, George, Sully and Horford/Gasol gets me very excited.

if it's a center and we decide to keep Rondo

I would trade every one else on the team for either DeMarcus Cousins, or Andre Drummond

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Scalabrine might take a pay cut to play in green with rondo.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think Roy Hibbert and Josh Smith are already available.

That's probably not the kind of pairing that you had in mind, but Rondo was an all-NBA defender when he was playing the lanes and running people into KG instead of trying to keep in front of people. Pair Rondo with either of those guys and you'd have the core of a top defensive team.

Smith's trade value might never be lower than it is right now. Detroit doesn't have a single other dude on the squad that can play defense, and they are holding Smith out of position to boot.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol.  Both players will be UFA's in 2015.

Both can be had if the offer is right before they get to free agency.  I don't think they come to Boston via free agency.  Ainge would have to make the package right for both teams.  He's got the assets to make a legit offer for both.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Always love talking about who our new KG and Ray could be (even if it's just a dream  ;D)

Here are some names that immediately come to mind (most of these are players who are going to be free agents within the next 2 offseasons.  Some are all-stars on longer-term deals which their current team perhaps looks to move between the trade deadline and summer of '15.)

-Marc Gasol
-Deandre Jordan
-Rudy Gay
-Monta Ellis
-Al Horford
-Deron Williams
-Brook Lopez
-Joe Johnson
-Goran Dragic
-Andre Iguodala

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Both can be had if the offer is right before they get to free agency.  I don't think they come to Boston via free agency.  Ainge would have to make the package right for both teams.  He's got the assets to make a legit offer for both.

Why would LA trade Jordan for draft picks? Their window is open now and he's the anchor of their defense.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Why would LA trade Jordan for draft picks? Their window is open now and he's the anchor of their defense.

Still have to sign him as his contract is up after this year.

Nobody is saying they just trade him for draft picks. Depends on where the pick is and what players are in the package.  Far more ways to offer a legit package than just draft picks.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think there will be at least one player who we don't now think of as potentially available who will become available by the summer of 2015.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I want KD...

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
George and Cousins are basically impossible to acquire at this point considering they're just now starting their contract extensions.  Furthermore, the situation you outlined about the Pacers potentially losing both West and Hibbert is exactly why they'd want to hold on to their best player.  If he's out, they might as well be a bad team and potentially acquire a great player in the draft to pair with George, just like the Spurs did with Robinson and Duncan.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
George and Cousins are basically impossible to acquire at this point considering they're just now starting their contract extensions.  Furthermore, the situation you outlined about the Pacers potentially losing both West and Hibbert is exactly why they'd want to hold on to their best player.  If he's out, they might as well be a bad team and potentially acquire a great player in the draft to pair with George, just like the Spurs did with Robinson and Duncan.
Yeah, I know. I said it's a huge stretch, practically impossible. But it would be great. ;D

Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah, If I'm Indy, I'm making a big decision about Hibbert this season.  I'm not sure I want my eggs in his basket if I'm Indy, since he should be paired with someone...who they don't really have right now.

I would consider making Bird a Godfather offer for Hibbert, but keep Green (G-town bud), Rondo, and Turner.  I'd look for a Rondo/Turner/Green/Sully/Hibbert starting unit, and go from there.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Yeah, If I'm Indy, I'm making a big decision about Hibbert this season.  I'm not sure I want my eggs in his basket if I'm Indy, since he should be paired with someone...who they don't really have right now.

I would consider making Bird a Godfather offer for Hibbert, but keep Green (G-town bud), Rondo, and Turner.  I'd look for a Rondo/Turner/Green/Sully/Hibbert starting unit, and go from there.

I would love to get Hibbert.  He is exactly what this team needs...a great defensive Center. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Two years ago I would have said...

C Gasol
PF Smith
SF Gay
SG Bradley
PG Rondo

And next season, maybe it could still happen..