Author Topic: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo  (Read 13288 times)

Re: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
TP for the link.
Still, I am not convinced by what Scalabrine says. All he says is that we ll keep Rondo bcs we want championships and Smart is not ready yet. This is not much of an argument IMHO.

It's probably a subset of the valid argument that the Celtics are unlikely to trade Rondo because Ainge isn't an idiot.
Interesting point. IMHO we are going to trade Rondo (hope this does not make me an idiot). We could go on debating this for hours, but at this stage I think we are both familiar with both sides arguments.
Btw, since you are into Logic, I am sure you realize a valid argument is not necessarily a sound one.

The Rondo question is actually pretty simple.  We just have to wait for the answer.

If this team comes out and is looking like a 30 win unit, the chances of Rondo getting traded go way up because that will mean we don't have nearly enough talent already on board.

If this team is looking like a 40 win unit, the chance of Rondo getting traded go way down because it will mean we could be only a move or two away from contending.

Mike
Mike, thanks for your thoughts on this. However, back here on planet earth, I think the celtics will be lucky to break 30 wins. Not impossible, but a challenge for sure.

So, you had the Phoenix Suns winning as many games as they did last year?  Or did you think they were going to suck because that's what everyone else thought?

Let's review.

Rondo - healthy.
Stevens - better.
Sully - better.
KO - better.
Smart - better than Pressey, who wound up our backup pg for a lot of last season.
Turner, Thornton and Zeller - better than the bench players that Boston finished the year with.
East - still pretty much sucks.

Now, I don't know if I'd bet a whole lot of money on Boston winning 40 games this year but reflexive negativity is just as foolish as blind optimism.

Mike

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

Now, I don't know if I'd bet a whole lot of money on Boston winning 40 games this year but reflexive negativity is just as foolish as blind optimism.

Mike

To win some money, there is no need to go for 40 wins though. I did bet $150,- that the Celts would win 27 or more games this season. So only 2 wins more needed than last year.

I did also bet $ 100,- on reaching a playoff spot. Now, that might be a long shot, but i think we will come very close. And the winnings of the first bet, would cover the probable loss on the second.

My fair estimation is we will win 33 games.

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
TP for the link.
Still, I am not convinced by what Scalabrine says. All he says is that we ll keep Rondo bcs we want championships and Smart is not ready yet. This is not much of an argument IMHO.

It's probably a subset of the valid argument that the Celtics are unlikely to trade Rondo because Ainge isn't an idiot.
Interesting point. IMHO we are going to trade Rondo (hope this does not make me an idiot). We could go on debating this for hours, but at this stage I think we are both familiar with both sides arguments.
Btw, since you are into Logic, I am sure you realize a valid argument is not necessarily a sound one.

The Rondo question is actually pretty simple.  We just have to wait for the answer.

If this team comes out and is looking like a 30 win unit, the chances of Rondo getting traded go way up because that will mean we don't have nearly enough talent already on board.

If this team is looking like a 40 win unit, the chance of Rondo getting traded go way down because it will mean we could be only a move or two away from contending.

Mike
Mike, thanks for your thoughts on this. However, back here on planet earth, I think the celtics will be lucky to break 30 wins. Not impossible, but a challenge for sure.

So, you had the Phoenix Suns winning as many games as they did last year?  Or did you think they were going to suck because that's what everyone else thought?

Let's review.

Rondo - healthy.
Stevens - better.
Sully - better.
KO - better.
Smart - better than Pressey, who wound up our backup pg for a lot of last season.
Turner, Thornton and Zeller - better than the bench players that Boston finished the year with.

Mike

+1.

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know C's are a better team this year but besides Philly, Miami and Pacers rest of the entire East got better.

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know C's are a better team this year but besides Philly, Miami and Pacers rest of the entire East got better.

Did Atlanta, Detroit, New York, Brooklyn get better?  Did Orlando and Milwaukee get significantly better?

Personally, I think we are going to be more better than many of those teams. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Don't quit your dayjob and become a bookie then.

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Did Atlanta, Detroit, New York, Brooklyn get better?  Did Orlando and Milwaukee get significantly better?

If Atlanta gets more out of Al Horford they definitely have improved.

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The talent gap between Phoenix's roster last year and Boston's roster this year should be fairly self-explanatory reason why comparing the two is a waste of time.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
TP for the link.

Mike

Let's review.

Rondo - healthy.
Stevens - better.
Sully - better.
KO - better.

Mike

+1.

+2, I still have our Cs being between 25 - 35 wins. I also think being a 40 team isn't impossible as well. With a fully healthy Rondo and everyone having at least 1 year under their belt and Stevens "theoretically" better than last season, I think this team can and will surprise everybody

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

My opinion is yes they all got better.  Now would I say they are all making big jumps in talent or play,  no. My point is that the improvement by C's in comparison to last year's team isn't everything.  You have to look at what all the teams have done when predicting season outlook.

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The 2014 Celtics probably aren't as good as the 2013 Celtics, who were not a very good basketball team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
The 2014 Celtics probably aren't as good as the 2013 Celtics, who were not a very good basketball team.

It depends on Rondo, IMO.  Your statement could very well prove to be true although I do think this Celtics team wins a couple of more games than last year's bunch.   I still don't expect any outlandish uptick in wins or a playoff berth, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

My opinion is yes they all got better.  Now would I say they are all making big jumps in talent or play,  no. My point is that the improvement by C's in comparison to last year's team isn't everything.  You have to look at what all the teams have done when predicting season outlook.
exactly.  been saying the same thing in similar discussions.

Did Atlanta, Detroit, New York, Brooklyn get better?  --> Atlanta gets Horford back.  Detroit has another year to work things out and have a better coach.  NY was better to begin with and seems a little more cohesive this year.  Brooklyn is still better than us.

Did Orlando and Milwaukee get significantly better?  --> Orlando added 2 really good young players and have more young players than us looking to make improvements in their games.  They also have a roster that's better balanced than ours.  they could be better than us.  they could be worse.  Milwaukee woefully underperformed last year.  they had more talent than us and have added Parker.  I expect them to be much better this year and not just because of Parker.

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Don't quit your dayjob and become a bookie then.
lol  ;D TP

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Why would we be worse?  We only really lost Humphries over the offseason, and our core is at the point where they should be improving or at worst plateauing.  Is it the lack of Jordan Crawford?