Author Topic: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo  (Read 13316 times)

Re: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Scal nailed it on the head early on with the Rondo debate.

"Great players make others around them great".

Rondo with the ball in his hands makes Bradley better, Green better, etc. He's never played with a roll big who sucks in the defense, and leaves everything else open outside. If you get him that big who can roll to the bucket, and Rondo has shooting around him, its very difficult to stop us. Rajon with the rock in his hands, in the pick and roll, if you don't come and crash on the big, Rondo finds him for a dunk. If you crash, Rondo finds the open shooter. Its an easy game for him. With shooters like Olynyk, Sullinger at the 4, Bradley at the 2, Green at the 3.....he's got weapons to find who can knock it down when open outside. We need the big who can roll and dominate down low, and protects the rim. That's the final piece.

Rondo creates automatic offense for your team without running a dog gone play.

Ainge isn't stupid. He knows this. Its going to take a kings ransom to land Rondo if you want him, otherwise, Ainge isn't budging. He's got pieces to acquire the big down the road. Just gotta stay patient in the process.

Keywords being for this forum:  "patient in the process"
Lots of good points here, but IMHO you have to factor in the risk of losing him for nothing in the summer.

And you have to factor in Ainge not being afraid to gamble, so he is less risk-averse than many posters in this forum.  I believe that the current risk assessment is such that Ainge is willing to wait until the summer of 2015 to find those pieces he wants to fit next to Rondo.

I'm not so sure it really has as much to do with Ainge's "gambling" nature as it does the simple fact that something isn't always better than nothing.

What I mean by this is, even if Ainge feels there is a decent to good chance Rondo will likely leave in FA this summer, if the trade offers are as bad as some of the one's I have seen posted here there is now way he would be foolish enough to make such a deal. In that instance, the possibility of losing Rondo for nothing is better than the return on a trade of Rondo. At least if we keep him through the deadline we still have a chance to resign him. If we trade him, that's it, he's gone.

This is spot-on, IMO.  I really wish more people on the blog would understand this concept rather than run Rondo out of town for cents on the dollar just because "its something".
Interesting thoughts.
Just to make sure what we disagree about:
You think Ainge wants to keep Rondo unless a really good deal comes.
I think he wants to trade Rondo unless no good deal comes.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking Ainge doesn't like Rondo?

That I don't like Rondo or that Ainge doesn't?

Ainge
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Rondo with the ball in his hands makes Bradley better, Green better, etc. He's never played with a roll big who sucks in the defense, and leaves everything else open outside. If you get him that big who can roll to the bucket, and Rondo has shooting around him, its very difficult to stop us. Rajon with the rock in his hands, in the pick and roll, if you don't come and crash on the big, Rondo finds him for a dunk. If you crash, Rondo finds the open shooter. Its an easy game for him. With shooters like Olynyk, Sullinger at the 4, Bradley at the 2, Green at the 3.....he's got weapons to find who can knock it down when open outside. We need the big who can roll and dominate down low, and protects the rim. That's the final piece.

Ainge isn't stupid. He knows this. Its going to take a kings ransom to land Rondo if you want him, otherwise, Ainge isn't budging. He's got pieces to acquire the big down the road. Just gotta stay patient in the process.

Lots of good points here, but IMHO you have to factor in the risk of losing him for nothing in the summer.

And you have to factor in Ainge not being afraid to gamble, so he is less risk-averse than many posters in this forum.  I believe that the current risk assessment is such that Ainge is willing to wait until the summer of 2015 to find those pieces he wants to fit next to Rondo.

I'm not so sure it really has as much to do with Ainge's "gambling" nature as it does the simple fact that something isn't always better than nothing.

What I mean by this is, even if Ainge feels there is a decent to good chance Rondo will likely leave in FA this summer, if the trade offers are as bad as some of the one's I have seen posted here there is now way he would be foolish enough to make such a deal. In that instance, the possibility of losing Rondo for nothing is better than the return on a trade of Rondo. At least if we keep him through the deadline we still have a chance to resign him. If we trade him, that's it, he's gone.

This is spot-on, IMO.  I really wish more people on the blog would understand this concept rather than run Rondo out of town for cents on the dollar just because "its something".
Interesting thoughts.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking Ainge doesn't like Rondo?

That I don't like Rondo or that Ainge doesn't?

Ainge

Yeah, I think that notion is a bit ridiculous. 

Personally,  I think Ainge would keep Rondo and risk loosing him walk for nothing rather than take on a bad deal.  I think Ainge wants to keep Rondo but would be willing to move him for the right package.  The problem is (and I believe will continue to be) that the offers have been underwhelming to say the least.   And Ainge knows this and simply won't deal Rondo for the sake of dealing him or "getting rid of him".  I don't think he wants to move Rondo but its a consideration.  Which is the way a GM should approach things.

I think Ainge's ideal scenario would be to keep Rondo, resign him in the offseason, and then continue to work to add pieces to this squad.  I can't imagine he looks at the current roster and sees all the youth panning out.  I think he's going to start engaging in package deal talks for some of the young guys/expirings/draft picks starting near the trade deadline and it could very well continue into next summer. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Scal also says Smart can guard the 3, which I'm not sure about. On the other hand, he's certainly got a better eye for the game than I do, so...
It's his strength. He is built like a tank. Low center of gravity. Very difficult for taller opponents to push him around despite having a height advantage on him. Very few SFs have physical size + skill to take advantage.

Smart's physical tools are exceptional for defensive. Size, length, strength, lateral quickness. He is the type of player -- a lot like Jason Kidd -- who is going to be very effective defending players of different sizes. The combination of all those physical tools together with his mental makeup offer him excellent defensive range -- range defined as number of plays he can make defensively and variety of opponents he can cover. Smart has incredible defensive versatility as big defensive guard.

Very similar to J-Kidd as a defensive talent.

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sure, I think Smart can guard guys who play the 2/3 like Joe Johnson. I'm not sure about his ability to guard, say, LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Scal also says Smart can guard the 3, which I'm not sure about. On the other hand, he's certainly got a better eye for the game than I do, so...
It's his strength. He is built like a tank. Low center of gravity. Very difficult for taller opponents to push him around despite having a height advantage on him. Very few SFs have physical size + skill to take advantage.

Smart's physical tools are exceptional for defensive. Size, length, strength, lateral quickness. He is the type of player -- a lot like Jason Kidd -- who is going to be very effective defending players of different sizes. The combination of all those physical tools together with his mental makeup offer him excellent defensive range -- range defined as number of plays he can make defensively and variety of opponents he can cover. Smart has incredible defensive versatility as big defensive guard.

Very similar to J-Kidd as a defensive talent.

In contrast to say someone like Ricky Rubio ...

Nice big PG at 6-4 with length but he currently lacks the physical strength to defend wings. You regularly see him get pushed around when he tries to guard players bigger than himself. Does not have same defensive range.

It's a part of Rubio's game that he really needs to work on. He can't do much about his quickness but he can improve his strength to improve capacity of defending on switches + other positions.

Exceptional physical strength for his position is major asset for Smart in defending players bigger than himself.

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sure, I think Smart can guard guys who play the 2/3 like Joe Johnson. I'm not sure about his ability to guard, say, LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony.

Not many people can to begin with. 

I agree with Who that Smart's body type can allow him to match up better with some team 3s better than other guards.  He's certainly built like a tank.  I'd have no problem with him guarding SF's in small spans but I think it would be a mistake to leave him guarding those guys for 25-30 mpg.  He's already lacking a bit on the offensive end and something like that wouldn't happen matters.

He'd certainly be a pest to them, though. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Of course, he'd struggle against Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, but he might do a better job on those guys than a lot of guys in the league who are 6'7"/6'8" and play small forward full-time.

Actually, I wouldn't hate to see Marcus get a few minutes against those guys. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Of course, he'd struggle against Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, but he might do a better job on those guys than a lot of guys in the league who are 6'7"/6'8" and play small forward full-time.

But that's kind of my point -- James and Anthony are going to be playing the 3 full time this year (at least, that's the indication), and I don't think he can get away with guarding someone like Jeff Green, either.

Here's a list of the guys who qualify as 2/3's in the league, per BR, that played for more than 25MP/G:
http://bkref.com/tiny/eHS1y

And some of them I can see Smart matching up well against (at least, enough not to be a gratuitous negative), but not all of them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:12:59 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Marcus Smart's defense reminds me of good ol' Tony Allen's D.  They are both supremely confident playing defense, move extremely well, and take good risks.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

But that's kind of my point -- James and Anthony are going to be playing the 3 full time this year (at least, that's the indication), and I don't think he can get away with guarding someone like Jeff Green, either.

Here's a list of the guys who qualify as 2/3's in the league, per BR, that played for more than 25MP/G:
http://bkref.com/tiny/eHS1y

And some of them I can see Smart matching up well against (at least, enough not to be a gratuitous negative), but not all of them.

I clicked on the list, and only saw eight names.  Are you sure you got the result you were looking for?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Interesting thoughts.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking he doesn't like Rondo?
Argghhhh Good question. I am going out for some fresh air. Let's see if I come back with a good reply.

Took my walk, had a cup of tea and now I am ready to answer the deceitfully easy question.
First off, let me explain where I come from: I was trained as a diplomatic historian, so I have a sweet tooth for speculation, a suspicious frame of mind, and of course conspiracy. So, do not expect long analyses on % or comparing players on the basis of their % or PIE. It is much more about understanding and interpreting than measuring and comparing.

1. To understand what's happening with Rondo we have to understand what direction the team is moving to. We all agree the team is rebuilding. But there are different ways to rebuild a team.
There is the Hinkie way. You collect players through the draft hoping that one day you will land the next Kobe or LBJ (or at least the next Melo or Harden). In the meantime, everyone including your young stars like MCW are treated like chips in a Las Vegas gambling game.
BOS is rebuilding but in a very different way. We have committed long term to a young coach with no pro experience (an unprecedented move in the NBA). The only reason to do this is because you believe Stevens can develop not only players but a team. We already have some indications of where he is moving to- a read and react offense: quick pace , few dribbles, lots of screens, passes and players ready to shoot whenever they are free. This is a system that takes time to learn and requires a stable core of players. Ie, it only makes sense if the C's are committed long term to some of their current young players.
Rondo is not a perfect fit for this system: he pounds a lot and he is not a good 3p shooter.
2. This follows directly from (1). Since we have committed long term to some young players like Sullynyk there is a glaring problem: by the time these guys reach their peak (4-5 years from now) Rondo will be past his prime.
3. Reading between the lines of the statements that RR and the front office I was not convinced either wanted to show a long term commitment to the other. If RR really wanted to stay with the team all he had to do was to say Boston is where I belong. Any other team comes second to me. As long as the front office makes me the right offer I will finish my career as a Celtic. And then, just wait and see what will happen if Danny entertains the idea of trading you for some mediocre talent and a future draft pick  ;D
Similarly, if Danny wanted RR long term he had to say I cannot imagine the C's without Rajon. He is our natural leader. I will do everything possible to keep him in the team. And then the ball is in Rondo's court.
Neither side made similar statements- if anything what they said was lukewarm and careful. Which means they are both calculating their alternatives.
4. From the rumours that circulated during the offseason it seems that RR wanted a max or a near max contract and that Ainge was unwilling to make such a commitment (a correct move to my mind, but we can discuss this later on).
Other reasons why I think Rondo might go:
-An elite player should play in a contending team. (OK I know the statement sounds obnoxious as it is, but usually keeping an elite player in a rebuilding team involves overpaying him.)
-There are teams where RR's playing style fits better- NYK for example with Jackson wanting to re-introduce the triangle offence. A really cool guy in these forums made a very good post on this (sorry I cannot remember his name- he has Larry Bird shooting a FT as a profile image)
-What is the point of drafting a PG if you plan to keep Rondo? Yes, I remember what Ainge said "we simply went for the best talent available" but this is simply nonsense. Why add a future elite PG to an already existing PG in a team that already has Pressey (and then go get ET who can also play PG). Where there other good option except from Smart? On top of my head I can think of Julius Randle, Nik Stauskas and Doug McDermott- all of which would make more sense if Ainge planned to keep RR long term.
Some qualifications:
-If RR returns and plays smoothly read and react offense and if (above all) his 3p% has gone up (hey it happened with Sully so why not Rondo), this completely changes things. RR might be more valuable to the C's than any other NBA team.
-We might have a Bledsoe scenario. ie Rondo says "I am going to get a max contract from another team", Ainge says go ahead, and then Rondo fails to do so. Again, RR is an elite player but the market for his skills is a restricted one. If RR decides to stay for less then again everything is possible.
Waiting for your thoughts.

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Scal also said that Rondo never has played with a good "roll" big; a big that can roll to the basket after a pick and roll sequence, implying that Rondo would be at his best in that situation.  The problem with this is that teams go under the pick when Rondo has the ball.  There would be nowhere for the big to roll to because his defender would still be right there.  The big can only roll to the hoop if the big defender doubles or there is a switch.  This is a lot of words to describe a simple thing but I believe Scal has it very wrong.

Not that Tanguay has any great insight either.

One thing that I noticed last year was that teams finally started to go over screens set for Rondo and were hedging/showing hard more consistently. Now, it was just an eye test, but I'm excited at the new development. 

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Took my walk, had a cup of tea and now I am ready to answer the deceitfully easy question.
First off, let me explain where I come from: I was trained as a diplomatic historian, so I have a sweet tooth for speculation, a suspicious frame of mind, and of course conspiracy. So, do not expect long analyses on % or comparing players on the basis of their % or PIE. It is much more about understanding and interpreting than measuring and comparing.

1. To understand what's happening with Rondo we have to understand what direction the team is moving to. We all agree the team is rebuilding. But there are different ways to rebuild a team.
There is the Hinkie way. You collect players through the draft hoping that one day you will land the next Kobe or LBJ (or at least the next Melo or Harden). In the meantime, everyone including your young stars like MCW are treated like chips in a Las Vegas gambling game.
BOS is rebuilding but in a very different way. We have committed long term to a young coach with no pro experience (an unprecedented move in the NBA). The only reason to do this is because you believe Stevens can develop not only players but a team. We already have some indications of where he is moving to- a read and react offense: quick pace , few dribbles, lots of screens, passes and players ready to shoot whenever they are free. This is a system that takes time to learn and requires a stable core of players. Ie, it only makes sense if the C's are committed long term to some of their current young players.
Rondo is not a perfect fit for this system: he pounds a lot and he is not a good 3p shooter.
Stevens uses a motion-offense, the same as the Spurs (except lacking the HoF cast at the moment).
I'm going to assert that you are wrong about Rondo in your understanding of (a) how he plays the game and (b) whether he fits this system or not.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/4/17/5625374/pounding-the-ball

2. This follows directly from (1). Since we have committed long term to some young players like Sullynyk there is a glaring problem: by the time these guys reach their peak (4-5 years from now) Rondo will be past his prime.

Since you are wrong on (1), this doesn't necessarily follow. 

Further, Rondo, at 28, is likely just starting his 'peak' years if he follows the career track of similar players such as Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, etc.  He will likely be on the back edge of his 'peak' at the end of the next 5 years.

Given that Bradley is starting his 5th while Zeller and Sullinger are in their 3rd years already, they will be experienced veterans well before Rondo is 'in decline'.

I don't think Danny is planning on waiting until 5 years from now for this team to be competitive again.  I doubt seriously that Wyc would be that patient.  Far more likely is that they intend to be competitive within the next year or two and during any potential Rondo contract.   They have the financial room to add 1 or 2 additional big contract players in addition to Rondo over the next 1 or 2 years, depending on how things play out.

3. Reading between the lines of the statements that RR and the front office I was not convinced either wanted to show a long term commitment to the other. If RR really wanted to stay with the team all he had to do was to say Boston is where I belong. Any other team comes second to me. As long as the front office makes me the right offer I will finish my career as a Celtic. And then, just wait and see what will happen if Danny entertains the idea of trading you for some mediocre talent and a future draft pick  ;D
Similarly, if Danny wanted RR long term he had to say I cannot imagine the C's without Rajon. He is our natural leader. I will do everything possible to keep him in the team. And then the ball is in Rondo's court.
Neither side made similar statements- if anything what they said was lukewarm and careful. Which means they are both calculating their alternatives.
That's ridiculous.  Neither side is allowed to sign paper until next summer.   It would be ludicrous on either party to make such a statement this far in advance because far too many things could change between now and then.   That's not how negotiations work.

Otherwise, all you shown here is that you can 'read between the lines' to make up whatever narrative you want.

4. From the rumours that circulated during the offseason it seems that RR wanted a max or a near max contract and that Ainge was unwilling to make such a commitment (a correct move to my mind, but we can discuss this later on).
Again, just your narrative built on top of your perception of rumors.   
(miscellaneous stuff deleted for brevity)
Waiting for your thoughts.

You put a lot of decoration into the presentation, but none of this is really new.  The same assertions and advocations have been presented by various folks repeatedly for months (much longer actually) again and again.

I don't claim to know what is in Rondo or Ainge's heads and I don't know how exactly it will be played out.  Too much can happen between now and then.

But if I were to lay money on it, I believe the most probable outcome is that Rondo, like Scal suggested, ends up signed to a max contract with the Celtics next summer. 
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Well done, Greece,

I've had my tea and my (really long) walk, and I have some counterarguments for your position on the whole Rondo question.  As you are probably aware, I think there are some fairly compelling reasons for Danny Ainge to prefer keeping Rajon Rondo for the long-term.

For starters, I don't buy the opinion that Rondo won't fit in with Stevens' read and react system.  If the "read and react" system means that the ball primarily moves around the perimeter or through the high post or whatever while all the players move around, set picks, and attempt to get open for cutting layups or open threes with a limited amount of dribble penetration, then I don't think Rondo would fit in very well in such a system.  Rondo's best skills are dribble penetration and passing off that penetration. 

I hope that coach Stevens is smart enough to realize that trying to build a winning NBA franchise without an elite dribble penetrator is not likely to yield championship level results.  I think he is smart enough to realize that, and I think that if his inaugural Celtics season looked like one that eschewed dribble penetration as a strategy, that it is because he didn't have any elite dribble penetrators on the team (he did have Jordan Crawford, who was definitely fun to watch at times--but, "elite," let's not anyone kid ourselves about that one--is he in the league this year?)

If Brad Stevens is not smart enough to realize that any NBA team that wants to be in title contention needs an elite dribble penetrator, then I don't want him as coach of the Boston Celtics for the next six seasons.  Let's hope he realizes that the best quality an NBA coach can have is to maximize the talent he has on his roster, and when given a player of the abilities of Rajon Rondo to use his elite strengths to his team's advantage.

So, I'm not worried about Rondo fitting into coach Stevens' system.  I'm more worried about coach Stevens being able to fit his system to utilize the strength of his best player.  By all accounts, Brad Stevens is a really smart guy.  I think he'll figure it out. 

You might argue that what Danny and Brad really need to make it work is a player who brings the ability to create offense off the bounce like Rondo (it would be nice if he was also a top five defender and rebounder at his position) and is also an elite level catch and shoot perimeter player. 

To that, all I have to say is that Brad Stevens' contract could well be up before Danny finds him that player. 

Good luck!

Now, if Marcus Smart shows that he is almost a sure thing to bring all the things that Rondo brings at as high a level within the next four or five years, then maybe that changes matters.  Then, Danny would probably be tempted to see what he could get for either one of them. 

In that case, it might actually be Marcus Smart that it would make more sense to trade away.  But, that's a matter for another post. 

To sum it up, I'm guessing that Danny Ainge is aware that the skills that a healthy Rajon Rondo brings to the table at the level that he brings them will be very difficult to replace.  If Rondo (and I grant that it is an "if") can return to his best basketball form when he returns, the rebuild will most likely be much faster than if he is traded away for players who may one day down the road pan out as NBA stars. 

This is the Boston Celtics we are talking about, here, the most storied franchise--or, at the very least, one of the top two--in NBA history.  Do we really think Danny and Brad will be able to survive through a five or six (or seven . . . ) year rebuilding program?

I don't. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That said, there's no guarantee that we won't be sitting here seven years from now watching a different coach and a different GM trying to right the Celtics ship.