Author Topic: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo  (Read 13376 times)

Re: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
CSNNE’s Gary Tanguay disagreed with most of Scalabrine’s takes. Listen below to hear them debate!

it's ok, Gary on CSN is like Skip Bayless on ESPN, what do they both have in common with basketball

they have NO clue

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Listened to the whole thing (about half an hour, good listen), some other notes, and time stamps for those who don't want to listen to the whole thing.

First 3 minutes is Scal talking about his appearance on the Jim Rome show, and how Scal said LeBron wouldn't have gone back to Cleveland if they weren't good.

From 3-11 minutes Scal and Toucher & Rich talk about ways to shorten games, and how Scal thinks the timeouts at the end of games is important, and shouldn't be eliminated.

Scal said something like: Rondo might be the smartest player I've ever played with.  No wait, not even maybe, he definitely is the smartest player I've ever played with (14:20).

About Rondo only showing up for national tv games (23:20):
Scal said something like, for a guy like LeBron whose 6'9", 250lbs, it doesn't take that much effort for him to go out and score 30 a night, it doesn't take that much of a toll on his body.  But for a small guy like Rondo, he can't go out and put up a triple double every night, it would take too much of a toll, so he has to pick and choose those games.  Though he does say Rondo needs to be more consistent on the other games.

Roll big (16:34)
To elaborate more on the roll big, Scal says "a big that dives hard to the basket" and that you need that and shooters around him too.  He goes on to say Asik could be that big with guys like Sullinger/Olynyk and Avery Bradley as your shooters.  He emphasizes later that he never consistently had a big who could roll hard and players who could stretch the floor.  So "consistently" might eliminate Shaq and Wilcox.  Basically Scal's formula for success sounds like Rondo, a big who can roll hard, and then 3 shooters.

Marcus Smart (20:20)

Scal performs his own version of NWA's Straight Outta Compton (11:43)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Scal nailed it on the head early on with the Rondo debate.

"Great players make others around them great".

Rondo with the ball in his hands makes Bradley better, Green better, etc. He's never played with a roll big who sucks in the defense, and leaves everything else open outside. If you get him that big who can roll to the bucket, and Rondo has shooting around him, its very difficult to stop us. Rajon with the rock in his hands, in the pick and roll, if you don't come and crash on the big, Rondo finds him for a dunk. If you crash, Rondo finds the open shooter. Its an easy game for him. With shooters like Olynyk, Sullinger at the 4, Bradley at the 2, Green at the 3.....he's got weapons to find who can knock it down when open outside. We need the big who can roll and dominate down low, and protects the rim. That's the final piece.

Rondo creates automatic offense for your team without running a dog gone play.

Ainge isn't stupid. He knows this. Its going to take a kings ransom to land Rondo if you want him, otherwise, Ainge isn't budging. He's got pieces to acquire the big down the road. Just gotta stay patient in the process.

Keywords being for this forum:  "patient in the process"

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Rondo with the ball in his hands makes Bradley better, Green better, etc. He's never played with a roll big who sucks in the defense, and leaves everything else open outside. If you get him that big who can roll to the bucket, and Rondo has shooting around him, its very difficult to stop us. Rajon with the rock in his hands, in the pick and roll, if you don't come and crash on the big, Rondo finds him for a dunk. If you crash, Rondo finds the open shooter. Its an easy game for him. With shooters like Olynyk, Sullinger at the 4, Bradley at the 2, Green at the 3.....he's got weapons to find who can knock it down when open outside. We need the big who can roll and dominate down low, and protects the rim. That's the final piece.

Ainge isn't stupid. He knows this. Its going to take a kings ransom to land Rondo if you want him, otherwise, Ainge isn't budging. He's got pieces to acquire the big down the road. Just gotta stay patient in the process.

Lots of good points here, but IMHO you have to factor in the risk of losing him for nothing in the summer.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Lots of good points here, but IMHO you have to factor in the risk of losing him for nothing in the summer.

And you have to factor in Ainge not being afraid to gamble, so he is less risk-averse than many posters in this forum.  I believe that the current risk assessment is such that Ainge is willing to wait until the summer of 2015 to find those pieces he wants to fit next to Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
TP for the link.
Still, I am not convinced by what Scalabrine says. All he says is that we ll keep Rondo bcs we want championships and Smart is not ready yet. This is not much of an argument IMHO.

It's probably a subset of the valid argument that the Celtics are unlikely to trade Rondo because Ainge isn't an idiot.
Interesting point. IMHO we are going to trade Rondo (hope this does not make me an idiot). We could go on debating this for hours, but at this stage I think we are both familiar with both sides arguments.
Btw, since you are into Logic, I am sure you realize a valid argument is not necessarily a sound one.

The Rondo question is actually pretty simple.  We just have to wait for the answer.

If this team comes out and is looking like a 30 win unit, the chances of Rondo getting traded go way up because that will mean we don't have nearly enough talent already on board.

If this team is looking like a 40 win unit, the chance of Rondo getting traded go way down because it will mean we could be only a move or two away from contending.

Mike
Mike, thanks for your thoughts on this. However, back here on planet earth, I think the celtics will be lucky to break 30 wins. Not impossible, but a challenge for sure.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And you have to factor in Ainge not being afraid to gamble, so he is less risk-averse than many posters in this forum.  I believe that the current risk assessment is such that Ainge is willing to wait until the summer of 2015 to find those pieces he wants to fit next to Rondo.

I'm not so sure it really has as much to do with Ainge's "gambling" nature as it does the simple fact that something isn't always better than nothing.

What I mean by this is, even if Ainge feels there is a decent to good chance Rondo will likely leave in FA this summer, if the trade offers are as bad as some of the one's I have seen posted here there is now way he would be foolish enough to make such a deal. In that instance, the possibility of losing Rondo for nothing is better than the return on a trade of Rondo. At least if we keep him through the deadline we still have a chance to resign him. If we trade him, that's it, he's gone.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not so sure it really has as much to do with Ainge's "gambling" nature as it does the simple fact that something isn't always better than nothing.

What I mean by this is, even if Ainge feels there is a decent to good chance Rondo will likely leave in FA this summer, if the trade offers are as bad as some of the one's I have seen posted here there is now way he would be foolish enough to make such a deal. In that instance, the possibility of losing Rondo for nothing is better than the return on a trade of Rondo. At least if we keep him through the deadline we still have a chance to resign him. If we trade him, that's it, he's gone.

This is spot-on, IMO.  I really wish more people on the blog would understand this concept rather than run Rondo out of town for cents on the dollar just because "its something".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

This is spot-on, IMO.  I really wish more people on the blog would understand this concept rather than run Rondo out of town for cents on the dollar just because "its something".
Interesting thoughts.
Just to make sure what we disagree about:
You think Ainge wants to keep Rondo unless a really good deal comes.
I think he wants to trade Rondo unless no good deal comes.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Interesting thoughts.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking Ainge doesn't like Rondo?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:42:01 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Scal also said that Rondo never has played with a good "roll" big; a big that can roll to the basket after a pick and roll sequence, implying that Rondo would be at his best in that situation.  The problem with this is that teams go under the pick when Rondo has the ball.  There would be nowhere for the big to roll to because his defender would still be right there.  The big can only roll to the hoop if the big defender doubles or there is a switch.  This is a lot of words to describe a simple thing but I believe Scal has it very wrong.

Not that Tanguay has any great insight either.
I disagree that a roll man wouldn't be a huge boon to Rondo in this way.

2009 KG was a monster before his injury on lobs as a roll man, and teams went even further under the picks for Rondo than they do now. A good roll big man will either be able to beat the small guard attempting to clog on him, or even worse he'll get Rondo's man on his hip and take him out of the play and give Rondo a clear lane to drive unguarded.

Doubling a roll man frees up Rondo. Not doubling the roll man forces a rotation to stop the easy layup, which gives Rondo a place to attack the defense.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Interesting thoughts.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking he doesn't like Rondo?

That I don't like Rondo or that Ainge doesn't?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Interesting thoughts.

Personally I think Ainge wants to keep Rondo and give him the max.  He wants him here.  He would give him up though if someone is offering up a kings ransom.

NY isn't offering that type of ransom package.  Nobody seems to have the kings ransom out there so its a trade that is highly unlikely.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Interesting thoughts.

Why do you think that?  Is it simply a matter of you thinking he doesn't like Rondo?
Argghhhh Good question. I am going out for some fresh air. Let's see if I come back with a good reply.

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'd put it this way.  Let's say it is 50-50 that Rondo will re-sign with Boston next summer.  And let's assign an arbitrary value of 10 to the scenario that Rondo stays and 0 if Rondo leaves.  (It's arbitrary just to make the math easier.)  On average, the Celtics get a value of 5 if they keep Rondo.  Ainge wouldn't trade Rondo mid-season unless he thinks the Celtics get significantly more than 5 back even if there is a 50% chance of ending up with zero.  A smart person who understands math would rather keep Rondo and risk losing him for nothing.  A Chicken Little-type GM who is worried about the sky falling would take back less value because all they want to do is avoid the zero scenario.

And Ainge probably thinks the chance of Rondo just leaving as a free agent with the Celtics getting nothing back is much less than 50%. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference