Author Topic: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo  (Read 13385 times)

Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Toucher & Rich: Celtics Season Preview With Brian Scalabrine

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/21/toucher-rich-celtics-season-preview-with-brian-scalabrine/

BOSTON (CBS) – Former Celtic and current CSNNE broadcaster Brian Scalabrine joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich in studio Tuesday morning for a Celtics season preview!

After talking about his recent appearance on Jim Rome, the guys started talking Celtics, starting with the 44-minute game preseason experiment.

On shortened NBA games:

“It’s ridiculous. I think there are many ways to speed the game up. Taking four minutes of play away from what people go and pay to see, I think is ridiculous. I like the elimination of one mandatory timeout in the second and fourth quarter. Taking away that timeout was good. I like that. I like the flow of that.”

On the 2014-15 team:

“This team is better than what everyone thinks, because they’re not factoring in what Rajon Rondo can do.”

I LOVE how he speaks of Rondo and how he understands the game and explains everything down to the core. 8-)
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Re: Scal and Tanguay on Toucher and Rich, discuss Rondo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
TP for the link.
Still, I am not convinced by what Scalabrine says. All he says is that we ll keep Rondo bcs we want championships and Smart is not ready yet. This is not much of an argument IMHO.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Scal also says Smart can guard the 3, which I'm not sure about. On the other hand, he's certainly got a better eye for the game than I do, so...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Scal also says Smart can guard the 3, which I'm not sure about. On the other hand, he's certainly got a better eye for the game than I do, so...
That's an interesting idea. At 1.93 he is too short to defend some of NBA's SF but not all.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
TP for the link.
Still, I am not convinced by what Scalabrine says. All he says is that we ll keep Rondo bcs we want championships and Smart is not ready yet. This is not much of an argument IMHO.

It's probably a subset of the valid argument that the Celtics are unlikely to trade Rondo because Ainge isn't an idiot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
TP for the link.

It's probably a subset of the valid argument that the Celtics are unlikely to trade Rondo because Ainge isn't an idiot.
Interesting point. IMHO we are going to trade Rondo (hope this does not make me an idiot). We could go on debating this for hours, but at this stage I think we are both familiar with both sides arguments.
Btw, since you are into Logic, I am sure you realize a valid argument is not necessarily a sound one.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
TP for the link.

Interesting point. IMHO we are going to trade Rondo (hope this does not make me an idiot). We could go on debating this for hours, but at this stage I think we are both familiar with both sides arguments.
Btw, since you are into Logic, I am sure you realize a valid argument is not necessarily a sound one.

The Rondo question is actually pretty simple.  We just have to wait for the answer.

If this team comes out and is looking like a 30 win unit, the chances of Rondo getting traded go way up because that will mean we don't have nearly enough talent already on board.

If this team is looking like a 40 win unit, the chance of Rondo getting traded go way down because it will mean we could be only a move or two away from contending.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
TP for the link.

The Rondo question is actually pretty simple.  We just have to wait for the answer.

If this team comes out and is looking like a 30 win unit, the chances of Rondo getting traded go way up because that will mean we don't have nearly enough talent already on board.

If this team is looking like a 40 win unit, the chance of Rondo getting traded go way down because it will mean we could be only a move or two away from contending.

Mike
Thanks for clarifying this.
I think we are a bottom 6 of the League team.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo can take his time coming back.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Scal also said that Rondo never has played with a good "roll" big; a big that can roll to the basket after a pick and roll sequence, implying that Rondo would be at his best in that situation.  The problem with this is that teams go under the pick when Rondo has the ball.  There would be nowhere for the big to roll to because his defender would still be right there.  The big can only roll to the hoop if the big defender doubles or there is a switch.  This is a lot of words to describe a simple thing but I believe Scal has it very wrong.

Not that Tanguay has any great insight either.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Scal also said that Rondo never has played with a good "roll" big; a big that can roll to the basket after a pick and roll sequence, implying that Rondo would be at his best in that situation.  The problem with this is that teams go under the pick when Rondo has the ball.  There would be nowhere for the big to roll to because his defender would still be right there.  The big can only roll to the hoop if the big defender doubles or there is a switch.  This is a lot of words to describe a simple thing but I believe Scal has it very wrong.

He's just a hack.  Interestingly, him & Red's Army have been having a scuffle in the past 24 hours or so.  Personally, I think Red's Army has been doing a good job of calling out Tanguay's hackdom. 

Fun reading on Twitter.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'd love to pick Scal's brain on this. Shaq comes to mind first, but Wilcox does too. Those guys weren't, you know, the best players they could be at that point, but I thought they were fairly serviceable.

Again, though, I'd trust Scal's assessments over my own.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
TP for the link.

Mike

The difference between this year and the year before we got KG and Ray is that team had, at most, 3 legitimate NBA players with more than 3 years of experience.  Pierce, Scal and Wally Z.

This team has Rondo, Green, Bass, Bradley and Thornton, with Turner and Wallace thrown in.  If this team can't win more than 25 or so games with that veteran core and Sully, KO, Smart added in, there's a loooooooooong rebuild coming.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
TP for the link.

Mike

The difference between this year and the year before we got KG and Ray is that team had, at most, 3 legitimate NBA players with more than 3 years of experience.  Pierce, Scal and Wally Z.

This team has Rondo, Green, Bass, Bradley and Thornton, with Turner and Wallace thrown in.  If this team can't win more than 25 or so games with that veteran core and Sully, KO, Smart added in, there's a loooooooooong rebuild coming.

Mike
We' ve been discussing these issues at length in the "Are we tanking this year" thread. Join the conversation.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Mike
Every team is a move or two away from contending.  Look at Cleveland.  They became a contender with one move and a favorite with really 2 moves.  Not that the Celtics can mimic that move, nor do I think it is likely that there will be such a transcendent move for the Celtics, at least not any time soon.

40 wins seems like a lot even with Rondo playing well.