Author Topic: Derrick Rose is back  (Read 3152 times)

Derrick Rose is back
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
anyone watch some of the game last night against the cavs?

30pts, 5rebounds, 3assists

and looked just as explosive going to the basket. which is good, because I feel the bulls are the easts best chance of knocking off the Cavs.

Re: Derrick Rose is back
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Bulls will not beat the Cavs.  Wizards are the only team in the East that have any real shot as they have both the interior defense and rebounding and the varied multi-layered offensive weapons.

It is nice to see Rose back and healthy.  Always a shame when talent is wasted as a result of injuries.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bulls will not beat the Cavs.  Wizards are the only team in the East that have any real shot as they have both the interior defense and rebounding and the varied multi-layered offensive weapons.

It is nice to see Rose back and healthy.  Always a shame when talent is wasted as a result of injuries.

You just described the bulls only they have better interior defense and better rebounding.

Wizards have more weapons on the offensive end but the Bulls who were first in defense and last in offense have only improved on both spectrums. Adding Gasols offense, length, veteran presence, and passing ability is going to be a huge plus for the Bulls. I see them being first in the East but it all depends on Rose's health and return to form.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

You just described the bulls only they have better interior defense and better rebounding.

Wizards have more weapons on the offensive end but the Bulls who were first in defense and last in offense have only improved on both spectrums. Adding Gasols offense, length, veteran presence, and passing ability is going to be a huge plus for the Bulls. I see them being first in the East but it all depends on Rose's health and return to form.

such a talented player and very very gifted, but ALL eyes on him. The Bulls success starts and ends with him. Hopefully he can stay healthy for 82 games and beyond

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

such a talented player and very very gifted, but ALL eyes on him. The Bulls success starts and ends with him. Hopefully he can stay healthy for 82 games and beyond
I hope that they actually build a well schemed offense utilitzing Gasol, McDermott, and their other players to help reduce the load on Rose.

Can't dump an entire side of the ball on him.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I hope that they actually build a well schemed offense utilitzing Gasol, McDermott, and their other players to help reduce the load on Rose.

I don't know how that would work. I agree, that would be ideal, but doesn't that also defeat the purpose of Rose's game. He is an explosive attacking guard, and probably needs to controlling the ball 50% out of the shot clock. I could be wrong, but taking that away, will that limit Rose's production and efficiency?

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I don't know how that would work. I agree, that would be ideal, but doesn't that also defeat the purpose of Rose's game. He is an explosive attacking guard, and probably needs to controlling the ball 50% out of the shot clock. I could be wrong, but taking that away, will that limit Rose's production and efficiency?
Not really, not if you encorporate his attacks into the offense and run more off the ball action.

Even just making sure to get the ball into the post to start possessions and let Gasol start the play with a pass would make things easier for Rose. Thibs has run all sort of creative band-aids for offense with Rose gone, I'd hate for him to abandon that level of creative thinking now that Rose is "back".

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

Not really, not if you encorporate his attacks into the offense and run more off the ball action.

Even just making sure to get the ball into the post to start possessions and let Gasol start the play with a pass would make things easier for Rose. Thibs has run all sort of creative band-aids for offense with Rose gone, I'd hate for him to abandon that level of creative thinking now that Rose is "back".

fair enough, they did do well while Rose is gone. Noah has legit, transformed himself when Rose was gone into arguably a top 5 center. Scoring, rebounding and passing. Taj Gibson is definitely a starter for a lot of mediocre teams. With the addition of Gasol, Taj Gibson does provide the bench with athleticism, rebounding, defense, and some scoring. We all know what Rose is made out of and what he is capable of, but I want to see that front court go to work with the Noah/Gasol/Gibson rotation

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:51:14 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It's the same situation with LeBron in Miami and now in Cleveland.  Yeah, Bron sacrificed a little in Miami but Bosh was hugely marginalized in the Heat offense.  I will almost guarantee that if the Cavs offense revolves totally around LeBron, with Kyrie playing the Wade role and Love and Waiters reduced to Bosh and Miller/Ray/Chalmers status, that team will not be nearly as good as people think and there will be major internal problems.

Chicago doesn't have that level of talent around Rose but it's almost more important in that situation to get the most out of everyone else on the roster.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's the same situation with LeBron in Miami and now in Cleveland.  Yeah, Bron sacrificed a little in Miami but Bosh was hugely marginalized in the Heat offense.  I will almost guarantee that if the Cavs offense revolves totally around LeBron, with Kyrie playing the Wade role and Love and Waiters reduced to Bosh and Miller/Ray/Chalmers status, that team will not be nearly as good as people think and there will be major internal problems.
Personally, this is what I'm counting on in Cleveland.  Lebron will only curtail his game to an extent.  the rest will become marginalized and less effective.   Love and Kyrie don't need to score as much as they used to and other than Love's rebounding, they aren't bringing the more-well-rounded games that Bosh and Wade had in Miami.   Love's not the defender that Bosh was and Kyrie is not prime Wade in terms of defense.  With the ball out of Kyrie's hands more often now (and in Bron's) I think this roster will impact Kyrie the most negatively.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

fair enough, they did do well while Rose is gone. Noah has legit, transformed himself when Rose was gone into arguably a top 5 center. Scoring, rebounding and passing. Taj Gibson is definitely a starter for a lot of mediocre teams. With the addition of Gasol, Taj Gibson does provide the bench with athleticism, rebounding, defense, and some scoring. We all know what Rose is made out of and what he is capable of, but I want to see that front court go to work with the Noah/Gasol/Gibson rotation

They did alright when he was out but that offense was rough to watch and certainly had its struggles.  It came to a head in the first round of the playoffs where absolutely no one for them could close things on the offensive end.  If they had an sort of an offensive stalwart, they probably would've won that series.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Totally disagree.  The Wizards offense is so varied.  It isn't just Beal and Wall, Pierce is a great all around offensive player, Gortat is a very good post up player, and we've seen that offense (with Ariza instead of Pierce) play incredibly well together.  They also have insane depth.  I mean their backups are Andre Miller, Martell Webster, Otto Porter, Dejuan Blair, and Kris Humphries.  I mean that backup 5 might be better than Boston's starting 5 (sans Rondo).  They have a fluid system.  Gortat, Nene, Hump, and Blair is an incredible big man rotation (that doesn't even count Drew Gooden and Kevin Seraphin).  They can throw bodies all over the place on both ends of the floor.  They have the post up players, the drive and dish guys, the shooters, and they have them from all positions on the floor.  They also have a very clear pecking order and more than 1 go to player in crunch time.  I'm not sure they beat Cleveland, but I think they have the best shot of any team in the East.

I just don't see that from the Bulls.  While Gasol is better than Boozer, he isn't a good fit in their offensive scheme (Boozer wasn't either).  I'm not sold on Mirotic or McDermott as contributors this year.  Butler is a good shooter, but provides almost nothing else on offense.  That team will live and die by Rose, and come playoff time when James is guarding Rose, he will shut their entire offense down and unlike James, Rose can't guard James.  In fact no one on the Bulls can guard James (James will just man handle Butler in the post).  That is where not having Deng is going to be the real problem for Chicago.  Deng could at least make it a little difficult for James, no one on that team can do anything against him. 

Chicago will lose to Cleveland in 5 games.  Washington goes 6 or 7.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The Wizards were a below average offensive team last year. I really don't see this varied and effective offense that you do Moranis. I think when they're going good they have a very balanced attack, more often than not though they just don't put it together smoothly. And that was during a year when Trevor Ariza hit nearly .600 TS%.

Pierce can do more things than Ariza, but he won't be nearly that efficient. You're projecting a ton of improvement onto Beal/Wall if you think their offense is going to be that good.

The idea of them having a clear pecking order is funny to me, I don't see that at all. So many wasted possessions last year where Wall/Beal went 1 on 2 or 1 on 3.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
The Subject should be
Derrick Rose is back...for the moment
Derrick Rose is back...until he's hurt again
Derrick Rose is back...to break the hearts of anyone who drafted him for their fantasy league
Derrick Rose is back...just like Greg Oden
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.