Author Topic: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks  (Read 20592 times)

Re: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 06:46:10 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'd say that's about the best deal we're getting. no way the kings trade Stauskus. or else i'd do that trade yesterday.

I don't want shumpert, dude sucks, the trade sucks. but it is the best deal we're going to get. I bet there were better offers this summer but we were still dreaming of 8 seeds.

again, if this trade with NY happens, why couldn't this deal get done this summer?

Re: Why doesn't a Rondo-to-New York deal like this work?
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
If Rondo goes back to 2009-2010 production levels (15+ pts / 10+ ast / 5+ rebs and 2+ stl on 50% fg) he should be re-signed for as much as it takes.

If not, I am afraid the most we will get in today's league with PG plethora is this Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty knicks package (i.e. some cap relief, a pick and a so-so young player).

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
It doesn't work because the return for our All-Star PG is too low, and Rajon Rondo still has work to do in BOS.
If you break this down, probably the most valuable piece in return is the 2015 pick swap that the OP assumes will be in the lottery.  I think a team with Carmelo and Rondo is likely to be pretty good.  It would be a good destination for other players and they still have a few other decent players.

Who knows what the 2018 pick might be and then we are down to Hardaway and Stoudemire.  I know this doesn't feel like a great return for Rondo, even though it includes dumping Wallace, but that is about what I think you are going to get for him which is still better than nothing if we aren't able to sign him, which at best is a risk.

I believe that Rondo will be traded, he is not going to like playing on a bad team.  I think he will come back and play well, increasing his trade value.  Right now his trade value is at an all time low.  I think Rondo can fetch a decent young big and if a deal like that becomes available, I hope Danny takes it.

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The only other trade i can see happening

To Kings: Rondo
To Celtics: Stauskus, Williams and future 1st

Stauskus would fit in very nicely with what BS is trying to do out there. Pretty good ball handler. Kind of like a Evan Turner, but a lethal shooting version

If you compare this with what the Knicks can potentially offer (and take back- Wallace, Bass), Knicks trade def has an adv

I don't think that's enough value for Rondo, would rather keep him.

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That's a horrible trade. Shumpert is basically Bradley, we already have one of those signed long term, and the draft picks would suck if the Knicks have Melo and Rondo. We need much more in return if they want a Rondo deal, at least include Tim Hardaway Jr to start with.

I too would rather have Hardaway for many reasons. However, I think the picks could be pretty good. In 2018, Rondo will be 32 and Melo 34. A swap in 2019 and having the 2018 pick could be rewarding.

I would prefer this deal:

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
Calderon (good player, modest contract, Smart would learn from him, has trade value)
2018 1st rd pick
2019 or 2020 1st rd pick right to swap (our choice)

I wouldn't mind this move because I actually think Calderon is a pretty decent player as is Hardaway.

However, what do you then do with all the shooting guards?

Wouldn't Bradley have to be included in this deal as well?

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Didn't this guy get cut,  Thanasis Antetokounmpo or the like?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/08/report-knicks-not-signing-second-rounder-thanasis-antetokounmpo/

No thanks!

I believe they still hold his rights they just didn't sign him to a second round rookie contract. He'll be with their Dleague team this year.

With that being said this return isn't that great for Rondo but I could see something along these lines happening. I see Rondo going to NY if he doesnt stay in Boston (which I think he will end up doing).

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q38xtpv

BOS receives: Amar'e Stoudemire, Tim Hardaway, Jr., rights to Thanasis Antetokounmpo, 2015 NY 1st, 2018 NY 1st

NY receives: Rajon Rondo, Gerald Wallace, 2015 LAC 1st

We get a likely lottery pick, nice young talent in H. Jr. and maybe Antetokounnmpo, another 1st in 2018 and unload Wallace's contract. The reason I ask if it works or not is because I'm uncertain on the status of New York's 2015 1st if we give them the Clippers' pick... Does that free it up to trade? If so, what do we think of a deal like this?

Another lottery pick to go along with ours should give us an asset pool substantial enough to land Karl Towns, whether by luck of the lottery or a trade.

Smart, Bradley, Hardaway, Jr., Young, Sully, Olynyk and Towns become their core guys. They still have all the BKN picks. That could be a great team. Plus this gives us cap space to work with for years either via trade or free agency.
could the trade be done?  yes.

Should the trade be done.  hell no.  this is horrible.

your premise of the 2015 Knicks pick being in the lottery is a fallacy.  Rondo with Melo and company will be a playoff team in the East.   in 2018, with NY having a lot more cap room to use under a much higher cap and being a solid franchise for recruiting top talent, that 2018 pick will be well out of the lottery too. 

hardaway is yet another SG coming to a team loaded with SG's.  Amare is another PF coming to a team loaded with PFs (he's not a center regardless of whether NY plays him there occasionally).
The throw in player is being thrown away by the Knicks so that's a useless piece.

Getting rid of Wallace's contract this year means nothing.  why bother?  he's an expiring deal next year when we have some cap room and we can use his now-expiring deal as salary balance to bring in a very good player making good money.    this deal doesn't make us a contender at any time in the foreseeable future so there's no advantage or point to moving Wallace a year early.

The only thing this trade does is make the team worse in the hopes of increasing the odds in the lottery.  there's no longer a prime player on the team to draw FA's to the franchise so now all are eggs are in one basket --> hoping to land a top lottery pick that turns into a franchise player at some point that we're capable of resigning.   That is an extremely iffy philosophy of getting back to winning titles.

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If we replace Green with Rondo, sure.  Maybe. 

But for Rondo...

No.  You do not give up the opportunity to resign him for that pile of useless parts. 

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No.  You do not give up the opportunity to resign him for that pile of useless parts.
This.

Barring Rondo saying he unequivocally will not resign in Boston, you don't make this sort of spare parts deal. Based on how things have been handled so far, I doubt he'll say that even if in his heart he feels he's almost certainly going to need to leave. Rondo will give the C's a chance.

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
A key question if this trade is a possibility is can Rondo succeed in the triangle offense??

Another question, the offense Rivers runs, how can that be described? Which other teams in the league utilize it?

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't see a Rondo trade for NY.  They just don't have the ransom package that Ainge desires.  Ainge knows Rondo is great.  You have to give him 3 all star assets in order for him to budge, unless guys like Cousins, Jabari Parker, or Embiid are involved.  NY doesn't have it.  You have to do better than the Amare contract.  It would take a young Amare as a player for Ainge to budge.

I don't see how Rondo goes anywhere.  Ainge gives him the max and keeps him.  He's worth more to the team going forward than any random deal out there outside of Cousins or Embiid (whom Sacramento & Philly aren't moving so it's worthless to talk about).

Houston keeps popping up, but they seriously need to make it a 3-way trade to have any shot.  Ainge would take Jones, their New Orleans pick, and another player found from another team.  Long shot.

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
This.

Barring Rondo saying he unequivocally will not resign in Boston, you don't make this sort of spare parts deal. Based on how things have been handled so far, I doubt he'll say that even if in his heart he feels he's almost certainly going to need to leave. Rondo will give the C's a chance.

The bottom line is that the C's can offer the most money.  If Ainge offers a max deal, then he won't go anywhere.  Same situation as Carmelo.  He will get wined and dined, but the team offering the most money will get Rondo.  So now the question is...does Ainge have any intention to offer the max?  If not, then they should trade him.  I would rather have something in return than watching him walk next year. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Simmons prediction will come true by the trade deadline. The only team that will take in Rondo will be the Knicks. Rockets are not giving up on Tjones for Rondo and  Sacramento is prob relieved they didn't give up Mclemore for Rondo. 

To Knicks: Rondo, Wallace, Bass, Thornton
To Celtics: Stoudemire, Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., Prigioni (waived)

Starting lineup

C - KO
PF - Sullinger
SF - Green
SG - AB
PG - Smart

Bench

C - Zeller
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Hardaway Jr.
SG - Shumpert
PG - Turner

Strong looking bench. And BS can put out the best 5 (mix and match) with less than 10 minutes to go.     

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Simmons prediction will come true by the trade deadline. The only team that will take in Rondo will be the Knicks. Rockets are not giving up on Tjones for Rondo and  Sacramento is prob relieved they didn't give up Mclemore for Rondo. 

To Knicks: Rondo, Wallace, Bass, Thornton
To Celtics: Stoudemire, Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., Prigioni (waived)

Starting lineup

C - KO
PF - Sullinger
SF - Green
SG - AB
PG - Smart

Bench

C - Zeller
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Hardaway Jr.
SG - Shumpert
PG - Turner

Strong looking bench. And BS can put out the best 5 (mix and match) with less than 10 minutes to go.     
it would make sense if Boston realizes it can't re-sign him and the Knicks are the only team willing to take the risk.  At some point Boston will be better off getting something instead of nothing.

I really don't believe boston is the frontrunner to re-sign Rondo.  I know some think we can keep Rondo and sign Gasol, but I think it's more likely we see Rondo join Melo or some other established team.