Author Topic: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks  (Read 20625 times)

Re: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sadly I could see Rondo ending up on the Knicks.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
C's in: Hardaway, Shumpert, Stoudemire, 2018 and 2020 unprotected 1sts

Knicks in: Rondo, Wallace, Green

I'd try and force the Knicks into this if they want Rondo so bad.  We'd get rid of all longer term money, and we'd pick up two unprotected firsts for it.  I think NYC is in the same mode as Brooklyn was during the big trade, and they'd be desperte enough to do it. We'd basically be giving Green up for a first, but it has potential to be pretty good in 2020.  We might be giving up alot in this scenario, but Green isn't really in our future plans anyways.  And if we can get a first for him, that'd be good enough for me.

For the Knicks, they'd be pretty dang good this year with Rondo, Calderon, Anthony, Green, and Dalembert with a bench of Larkin, Smith, Wallace, Early, and Bargnani. I doubt they'd be title contenders, but that's a good group of shooters to be around Rondo.

Why doesn't a Rondo-to-New York deal like this work?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q38xtpv

BOS receives: Amar'e Stoudemire, Tim Hardaway, Jr., rights to Thanasis Antetokounmpo, 2015 NY 1st, 2018 NY 1st

NY receives: Rajon Rondo, Gerald Wallace, 2015 LAC 1st

We get a likely lottery pick, nice young talent in H. Jr. and maybe Antetokounnmpo, another 1st in 2018 and unload Wallace's contract. The reason I ask if it works or not is because I'm uncertain on the status of New York's 2015 1st if we give them the Clippers' pick... Does that free it up to trade? If so, what do we think of a deal like this?

Another lottery pick to go along with ours should give us an asset pool substantial enough to land Karl Towns, whether by luck of the lottery or a trade.

Smart, Bradley, Hardaway, Jr., Young, Sully, Olynyk and Towns become their core guys. They still have all the BKN picks. That could be a great team. Plus this gives us cap space to work with for years either via trade or free agency.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Why doesn't a Rondo-to-New York deal like this work?
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:59 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
They could do a pick swap with their 2015 first, but they wouldn't be able to trade it outright, since they have already traded their 2016 first rounder.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
They could do a pick swap with their 2015 first, but they wouldn't be able to trade it outright, since they have already traded their 2016 first rounder.

Could they do a pick swap using the Clippers pick or are you implying that we'd have to use our pick next year?

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It doesn't work because the return for our All-Star PG is too low, and Rajon Rondo still has work to do in BOS.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
horrible trade idea for the Celts.  When did Simmons become a Knick's fan?

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 01:26:20 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

BOS receives: Amar'e Stoudemire, Tim Hardaway, Jr., rights to Thanasis Antetokounmpo, 2015 NY 1st, 2018 NY 1st

We get a likely lottery pick, nice young talent in H. Jr. and maybe Antetokounnmpo, another 1st in 2018 and unload Wallace's contract. The reason I ask if it works or not is because I'm uncertain on the status of New York's 2015 1st if we give them the Clippers' pick... Does that free it up to trade? If so, what do we think of a deal like this?

Another lottery pick to go along with ours should give us an asset pool substantial enough to land Karl Towns, whether by luck of the lottery or a trade.

Smart, Bradley, Hardaway, Jr., Young, Sully, Olynyk and Towns become their core guys. They still have all the BKN picks. That could be a great team. Plus this gives us cap space to work with for years either via trade or free agency.

I believe that a 1st round pick swap is allowable since NJ has them between years where they traded 1st rounders.

However, I don't see why you asume the 2018 pick is a lottery pick.  Cap should be significantly higher, NYK will have tons of cap room, and NYC is a destination of choice because of outside marketing oppotunities. Basically this fake trade is TH and a 2018 midrounder (at best) for Rondo. The cap effect for GW is minimal since you could spread his final contract year over 3 seasons if there was need to acquire a major FA and the swap of 2015 picks between LAC and an improved NYK team likely will not amount to much (and if the NYK don't improve by the trade, why do they do it?)

The other problem is that the NYK have a PG already in Jose Calderon for the next 3 years. Rondo's an upgrade, but the Knicks have much bigger issues than PG - like the other three positions not occupied by Anthony.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

I believe that a 1st round pick swap is allowable since NJ has them between years where they traded 1st rounders.

However, I don't see why you asume the 2018 pick is a lottery pick.  Cap should be significantly higher, NYK will have tons of cap room, and NYC is a destination of choice because of outside marketing oppotunities. Basically this fake trade is TH and a 2018 midrounder (at best) for Rondo. The cap effect for GW is minimal since you could spread his final contract year over 3 seasons if there was need to acquire a major FA and the swap of 2015 picks between LAC and an improved NYK team likely will not amount to much (and if the NYK don't improve by the trade, why do they do it?)

The other problem is that the NYK have a PG already in Jose Calderon for the next 3 years. Rondo's an upgrade, but the Knicks have much bigger issues than PG - like the other three positions not occupied by Anthony.

I am implying that their 1st rounder in 2015 is likely to be a 1st rounder even if they acquire Rondo at the deadline. Swap-able for 2015 LAC 1st we own to satisfy league rules prohibiting the offering of 2015 NYK 1st on its own due to a lack of a first rounder in 2014 or 2016.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The only other trade i can see happening

To Kings: Rondo
To Celtics: Stauskus, Williams and future 1st

Stauskus would fit in very nicely with what BS is trying to do out there. Pretty good ball handler. Kind of like a Evan Turner, but a lethal shooting version

If you compare this with what the Knicks can potentially offer (and take back- Wallace, Bass), Knicks trade def has an adv
Rondo will not resign in Sac... which is the problem with most prospective trades.  I bet we could get some good stuff out of Utah or the Hornets in theory, but he's not resigning there either.  If he wants to go to New York, he'll end up there one way or the other... which is the rationalization behind Simmons' idea.

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
That would be a classic Knicks move, huh?  Throwing a bunch of money at a potentially washed up name talent, hyping up the fans that they are on the verge of contention, and ultimately falling on their faces... classic Knicks move.   Wonder if Phil Jackson will follow the old playbook.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:09 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
That would be a classic Knicks move, huh?  Throwing a bunch of money at a potentially washed up name talent, hyping up the fans that they are on the verge of contention, and ultimately falling on their faces... classic Knicks move.   Wonder if Phil Jackson will follow the old playbook.

Potentially washed up?

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:27 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

Rondo is washed up, how??? Because he broke his arm and is already potentially returning earlier than scheduled to the floor? He's entering his prime years of his career LOL!

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Rondo is washed up, how??? Because he broke his arm and is already potentially returning earlier than scheduled to the floor? He's entering his prime years of his career LOL!

I wouldn't say washed up, but I also wouldn't say he entering his prime years either. I was watching an old game the other day on NBATV and it's startling how much more explosive he used to be. And that was comparing him to the pre-injury version. Now he has the ACL tear working against him.

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 05:11:46 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Does that free it up to trade? If so, what do we think of a deal like this?

Yes it does. This would be a legal trade. As long as a team has a first round pick every other year it doesn't matter whose it is.

I'd think after trading Rondo for prospects we'd end up with a top-3 pick of our own but who knows what changes they'll make to the lottery between now and then. I also doubt many teams would want to trade a potential franchise center for two lotto picks. It might happen but it's unlikely. If we want a top-3 pick our best bet is to suck.

Personally I think this would be a coup for the Celtics. Getting a huge expiring, a young shooter and a raw rookie in Thanasis plus a 1st and the pick swap for next season would be crazy. That by far the most generous offer I could imagine getting for and expiring Rondo this season. I doubt NY would give up that much in exchange for a PG that they have a shot at next summer.

On top of that Rondo would be terrible in the triangle. His lack of a jump shot would really stick out and he's a ball-dominant player. Both of those things are anathema to the triangle. Kobe and MJ worked in the triangle but neither of their teams had ball dominant PGs. Paxton, Armstrong, Kerr, Fisher...you basically put a shooter in at PG. Carmelo will do fine in a system like this just like Bryant and Jordan did. Rondo would not.

I think we can keep Rondo, tank for Towns and trade for a top free agent next summer. 2015-16 has a ton of talented free agents that will either have opt-outs in the summer (new TV deal contracts?) or expiring guys who have one foot out the door. I'd love to make a trade for Horford this season but honestly it doesn't make sense. Trading for him in the summer of 2015 makes way more sense after we've snagged another lotto pick and can pair Rondo with a him as well as talented, low contract rookies.