Author Topic: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks  (Read 20624 times)

Re: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Well if he ultimately does want to leave for New York,  do they own their 2014-15 pick?
That's looking like it will be very nice.
If the Cavs gave up number one for Love, there might be a good shot at prying a top 5 pick from the Knicks so Rondo gets more money.

Nice idea, but after all, RR is a free-agent at this season's end.  If he doesn't re-up with the Celts, our fans will be stunned at how little we receive for him in trade at or before the deadline.  Why rent the milk when you can steal the cow this evening for free?

Because we own his bird rights,  we are the only team that can offer him 5 years and the extra $20 million(roughly) over those 5 years. The Knicks and any other team can only offer 4 years and less money.

That's the bargaining power we have with bird rights.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That and the exclusive right to coo at him, yeah.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Well if he ultimately does want to leave for New York,  do they own their 2014-15 pick?
If the Cavs gave up number one for Love, there might be a good shot at prying a top 5 pick from the Knicks so Rondo gets more money.

Nice idea, but after all, RR is a free-agent at this season's end.  If he doesn't re-up with the Celts, our fans will be stunned at how little we receive for him in trade at or before the deadline.  Why rent the milk when you can steal the cow this evening for free?

Because we own his bird rights,  we are the only team that can offer him 5 years and the extra $20 million(roughly) over those 5 years. The Knicks and any other team can only offer 4 years and less money.

If RR does not wish to re-up with the Celts, I'm not sure that the extra $$$ involved here would prevent him from moving to the Knicks as a free agent.  Do the Knicks have enough assets to interest the Celts in any kind of deal made before the deadline? 

Is Phil Jackson even interested in RR attempting to run the triangle?  I don't see RR as a good fit there.  Also, if RR chooses to leave the Celts, he might do so in order to play for a contender.  The Knicks, even with RR, wouldn't be winning any titles anytime soon...if he does care about $$$ a lot, and winning titles isn't a big priority for him, why wouldn't he simply sign a new deal with the Celts?

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Simmons has been making this 'prediction' since September. Remember the Youtube video?
I say we trade him to Philly for a stale pretzel.

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

If RR does not wish to re-up with the Celts, I'm not sure that the extra $$$ involved here would prevent him from moving to the Knicks as a free agent.  Do the Knicks have enough assets to interest the Celts in any kind of deal made before the deadline? 

Is Phil Jackson even interested in RR attempting to run the triangle?  I don't see RR as a good fit there.  Also, if RR chooses to leave the Celts, he might do so in order to play for a contender.  The Knicks, even with RR, wouldn't be winning any titles anytime soon...if he does care about $$$ a lot, and winning titles isn't a big priority for him, why wouldn't he simply sign a new deal with the Celts?

If the Knicks are willing to offer more than us, ie they'll give him a max deal, and Ainge won't give him a max deal (which I'm not completely convinced he will), then the Knicks need his Bird rights to give him that money.
The asset they have is their own pick this year, Larkin and Giannis' younger brother.
The triangle is a query, but this question assumes that;
-the Knicks and Melo want him.
-Rondo wants max money and the Knicks want to give him max money.
-Danny won't give him max money (he's not worth max as a player to me, but they may give it to him because of his marketing/star power.) Ie Danny offers 15 million x 5 years and the Knicks will offer the max of...

2015-16: $18.68 million

2016-17: $20.081 million

2017-18: $21.48 million

2018-19: $22.88 million

2019-20: $24.28 million
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Simmons prediction will come true by the trade deadline. The only team that will take in Rondo will be the Knicks. Rockets are not giving up on Tjones for Rondo and  Sacramento is prob relieved they didn't give up Mclemore for Rondo. 

To Knicks: Rondo, Wallace, Bass, Thornton
To Celtics: Stoudemire, Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., Prigioni (waived)

Starting lineup

C - KO
PF - Sullinger
SF - Green
SG - AB
PG - Smart

Bench

C - Zeller
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Hardaway Jr.
SG - Shumpert
PG - Turner

Strong looking bench. And BS can put out the best 5 (mix and match) with less than 10 minutes to go.     

Why are the Kings supposedly relieved they didn't trade McLemore??  He currently has a PER UNDER 10.  Come on triboy.  Let it go.
Very weak argument.  McLemore has been shooting lights out this season and he's 21.  He shares the court with Rudy Gay and DeMarcus Cousins.  Are you that confident that McLemore will not develop into a 20+ppg efficient scorer?  I'm not.  I'd love to have McLemore here.

Hello, I reside in Sacto area, so we get to see the Kings close-up.  I'd like to have McLemore in Boston, too, as he is beginning to find himself.  No way the Kings would trade him even even-up for RR at this point...

Yeah, its too late now

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I'm extremely happy Bill Simmons doesn't run the Celtics. That's an idiotic trade. I think Rondo MIGHT get traded, but its going to be a for a pretty nice return, and that's not something the Knicks can offer. And taking Gerald Wallace off our payroll isn't a huge plus at this point, since that'll be a valuable contract to trade soon and its not like we need the cap space to get the last piece for a title run.

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sadly, I could now see this taking place.

With both teams off to a horrible start, I could see a deal centered around swapping Rondo for Calderon.

I could also definitely see Jeff Green involved as either a 6th man, or starting at SF while Melo is out with his back issues (or for that matter, Green starting with Melo at the 4.)

As for players coming to Boston, I could see any combination of Calderon, Shumpert, Bargani and Amar'e.

Oh, and I can see Bass going to the Knicks as well.

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think Simmons prediction will come true by the trade deadline. The only team that will take in Rondo will be the Knicks. Rockets are not giving up on Tjones for Rondo and  Sacramento is prob relieved they didn't give up Mclemore for Rondo. 

To Knicks: Rondo, Wallace, Bass, Thornton
To Celtics: Stoudemire, Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., Prigioni (waived)

Starting lineup

C - KO
PF - Sullinger
SF - Green
SG - AB
PG - Smart

Bench

C - Zeller
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Hardaway Jr.
SG - Shumpert
PG - Turner

Strong looking bench. And BS can put out the best 5 (mix and match) with less than 10 minutes to go.     

Why are the Kings supposedly relieved they didn't trade McLemore??  He currently has a PER UNDER 10.  Come on triboy.  Let it go.
Very weak argument.  McLemore has been shooting lights out this season and he's 21.  He shares the court with Rudy Gay and DeMarcus Cousins.  Are you that confident that McLemore will not develop into a 20+ppg efficient scorer?  I'm not.  I'd love to have McLemore here.

It is NOT a weak argument at all.  However, let me flesh it out for you and explain WHY he has such a LOW PER, OK??

He is a black hole that only shoots!! He only averages one stinking assist in OVER 32 minutes and turns the ball over 1.5 times.  He averages .3 blocks and ONLY .6 steals.  I would love to know what his defensive stats are as well, but of course PER does not tell us that.  He is shooting better than last year, but he has ONLY played in 16 games.  He shot 37.6% last year over 82 games.  I would suggest to you that he simply will NOT stay near the 46.7% that he is currently shooting or the 41.7% he is shooting from three.  He WILL regress to the norm.  I bet he ends up shooting around 34% from three and 40% overall at the end of the year.  Let's see IF I am correct, shall we.  Hit me up after game 82.

Smitty77

McLemore has always been an incredible shooter. Check his college stats. Wasn't he like 40% from three point land in college? Over a solid sample size...?
Why would he regress?
more likely he had a tough rookie year with a terrible coach while focusing on learning the offense +defense.

Not saying I'd install trade Rondo for Ben McLemore but you're not giving him enough credit.

I do find it funny how nonchalantly triboy assesses Rondo's trade value, even if it is with various Celticsblog usernames/accounts.

Good point about his college stats!!  The line is longer in the NBA than in college however, so those aren't exactly the same.  But, he was a very solid shooter at Kansas!!

Smitty77

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

If the Knicks are willing to offer more than us, ie they'll give him a max deal, and Ainge won't give him a max deal (which I'm not completely convinced he will), then the Knicks need his Bird rights to give him that money.
The asset they have is their own pick this year, Larkin and Giannis' younger brother.
The triangle is a query, but this question assumes that;
-the Knicks and Melo want him.
-Rondo wants max money and the Knicks want to give him max money.
-Danny won't give him max money (he's not worth max as a player to me, but they may give it to him because of his marketing/star power.) Ie Danny offers 15 million x 5 years and the Knicks will offer the max of...

2015-16: $18.68 million

2016-17: $20.081 million

2017-18: $21.48 million

2018-19: $22.88 million

2019-20: $24.28 million

RR is a terrible choice to run a triangle offense.  Once again, I simply don't see why Phil Jackson would have an interest in him, although he evidently does...

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

With both teams off to a horrible start, I could see a deal centered around swapping Rondo for Calderon.

I could also definitely see Jeff Green involved as either a 6th man, or starting at SF while Melo is out with his back issues (or for that matter, Green starting with Melo at the 4.)

As for players coming to Boston, I could see any combination of Calderon, Shumpert, Bargani and Amar'e.

Calderon makes sense.  He and Hardaway, Jr. are the only Knicks players I'd have any interest in, however.

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's a horrible trade. Shumpert is basically Bradley, we already have one of those signed long term, and the draft picks would suck if the Knicks have Melo and Rondo. We need much more in return if they want a Rondo deal, at least include Tim Hardaway Jr to start with.

I too would rather have Hardaway for many reasons. However, I think the picks could be pretty good. In 2018, Rondo will be 32 and Melo 34. A swap in 2019 and having the 2018 pick could be rewarding.

I would prefer this deal:

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
Calderon (good player, modest contract, Smart would learn from him, has trade value)
2018 1st rd pick
2019 or 2020 1st rd pick right to swap (our choice)

The Simmons trade is garbage. I like this proposed deal much better.

With that said, I'd prefer to wait until the 20 game level before I pronounce this team no better with Rondo than without - with the caveat that is the obvious conclusion right now. Rondo's not a closer, and his free throw shooting makes him a significant late game liability.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Which he is proving with every passing game he is not worth.

Max money for Rondo is basketball madness.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
RR is a terrible choice to run a triangle offense.  Once again, I simply don't see why Phil Jackson would have an interest in him, although he evidently does...

QFT

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Yuck yuck yuck
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk