Author Topic: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks  (Read 20621 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Simmons: “I think Rondo gets traded to the Knicks in the next four months…I actually like the thought of Rondo and Carmelo together. I think he would get him the ball in all of the right spots.”

I’m not sure if this is a move for Simmons and Spike Lee to become buddies or perhaps retribution for all of the public distaste he’s expressed towards Knicks owner James Dolan. However, Simmons continued with a trade proposal that he feels is good enough to get the deal done.

The Celtics would trade Rajon Rondo and Gerald Wallace in exchange for Amar’e Stoudemire, Iman Shumpert, a 2018 first round pick, and the right to swap first round picks with the Knicks once in next five years.

What you guys think of the trade idea?? 

I rather have Tim Hardaway Jr. though

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
That's a horrible trade. Shumpert is basically Bradley, we already have one of those signed long term, and the draft picks would suck if the Knicks have Melo and Rondo. We need much more in return if they want a Rondo deal, at least include Tim Hardaway Jr to start with.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This from his basketball preview?  He was more just throwing stuff out.  It wasn't a prediction he was putting his career on or anything.  I see where he's coming from, though.  Knicks are one of the favorites to sign Rondo in 9 months when he leaves Boston.  The trade market for him has pretty much dried up.  Not a lot of teams interested and even fewer of those teams that Rondo would re-sign with.  Total guess, but if we're looking for mutual interest teams, you gotta figure it's maybe Houston, maybe the Lakers, and maybe the Knicks.  I don't think Houston has anything to offer anymore.  Lakers prob wouldn't happen.  Then you got the Knicks (probably the frontrunner for Rondo in free agency) and Amare's fat expiring.  If you can get a late 1st and some cap relief before watching Rondo leave for nothing, you prob consider it.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A big meh.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
If this was our best offer, I'd honestly rather let Rondo walk. I go by the belief that you don't trade your best player to your division rival unless they overpay, and that is not even close to overpaying.

If we are trading him for five cents on the dollar then send him to Houston.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
that's the kind of trade you make when Rondo is holding a gun to your head...

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
pure speculative garbage.  will never happen.

what was more likely to happen was that 2 of the most vocal proponents for trading Rondo would hop on this and advocate for this crap

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, and I thought my trade ideas were bad.

Bill Simmons should be ashamed of himself.

Thought he was a Celtics fan?

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That's a horrible trade. Shumpert is basically Bradley, we already have one of those signed long term, and the draft picks would suck if the Knicks have Melo and Rondo. We need much more in return if they want a Rondo deal, at least include Tim Hardaway Jr to start with.

I too would rather have Hardaway for many reasons. However, I think the picks could be pretty good. In 2018, Rondo will be 32 and Melo 34. A swap in 2019 and having the 2018 pick could be rewarding.

I would prefer this deal:

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
Calderon (good player, modest contract, Smart would learn from him, has trade value)
2018 1st rd pick
2019 or 2020 1st rd pick right to swap (our choice)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I too would rather have Hardaway for many reasons. However, I think the picks could be pretty good. In 2018, Rondo will be 32 and Melo 34. A swap in 2019 and having the 2018 pick could be rewarding.

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
Calderon (good player, modest contract, Smart would learn from him, has trade value)
2018 1st rd pick

This is more like it. Hardaway is a must, and Calderon is a heck of a player, who would be a great role model for our young guys, plus we shed both Bass and Wallace.

Re: Simmons predicts that the Celtics will trade Rondo to the New York Knicks
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
2018 1st rd pick

This is more like it. Hardaway is a must, and Calderon is a heck of a player, who would be a great role model for our young guys, plus we shed both Bass and Wallace.

A lot better than Simmon's idea.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Rondo
Wallace
Bass

Amare
Hardaway
2018 1st rd pick

Your trade idea is actually what Danny will want back if it goes through. I mean NYK won't have much of an issue giving back Calderon.   

It's basically Simmons idea plus Calderon and flip Shumpert with Hardaway Jr. 

Knicks really like Hardaway Jr.but with surplus of guards prob willing to let him go

Hardaway Jr. is basically a taller w/more potential Marcus Thornton. 

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The only other trade i can see happening

To Kings: Rondo
To Celtics: Stauskus, Williams and future 1st

Stauskus would fit in very nicely with what BS is trying to do out there. Pretty good ball handler. Kind of like a Evan Turner, but a lethal shooting version

If you compare this with what the Knicks can potentially offer (and take back- Wallace, Bass), Knicks trade def has an adv

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
The only other trade i can see happening

To Kings: Rondo
To Celtics: Stauskus, Williams and future 1st

Stauskus would fit in very nicely with what BS is trying to do out there. Pretty good ball handler. Kind of like a Evan Turner, but a lethal shooting version

If you compare this with what the Knicks can potentially offer (and take back- Wallace, Bass), Knicks trade def has an adv

I'd rather go this route just because I am really high on Stauskas.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Here a Rondo to NYK trade idea I'd have to think about:

To NYK:
Rondo
Wallace

To BOS:
Amare
Shane Larkin