Author Topic: Laker Sources: Kobe Bryant killing our chances to be successful again  (Read 15674 times)

Re: Laker Sources: Kobe Bryant killing our chances to be successful again
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Disclaimer: I dislike Bryant and genuinely think he is significantly overrated.

But,

This does bring up some of the peculiarities of the NBA salary system. He is overpaid now, and "crippling" his team, sure, but he's been a max player for years, and those max salaries have really crippled his earning relative to his value.

If he retires after the 2015-16 season, I have him as earning 16.4 million dollars per year. And this is a guy who, after his rookie season, was an all-star in year 2 and 3rd team all-nba in year 3, and he was still 1st team all-nba in '12-'13 (season 17). So, if someone asked you: "Do you want an SG who will be on some sort of all-star or all-nba team for 16 seasons, but you have to pay him 16.4 million every year, but for 20 years," would you take that? I probably would. Shoot, if you had 3 of those guys that would be 3 all-nba guys for 48 million per year for 16 years (but paid for 20); you'd still have some capspace! It's not all his fault that he was vastly vastly underpaid at first and now overpaid; league rules prevented him from getting fair value early in his career.

To add on, I've reversed my initial knee-jerk view about this last contract ("this deal is insane") and think it's actually a good long-run move for the Lakers.

Their whole model involves attracting top-5 guys via trade or free agency, and they've been pretty successful at it. Showing that they take care of those guys, even when they're jerks at the end of their careers, might help them land another franchise guy 3 years from now.

In a weird way, it's possible that signing Bryant to a "bad deal" is good brand-building for the franchise.

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
His last two years are really terrible. Can't wait to enjoy it fully!

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hearing Howard isn't thrilled by prospects of RR joining HR. Not that he's opposed but not crazy about it. Different attitudes & approaches
— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) February 20, 2014

And why is this a bad thing?

Who is HR?
Houston Rockets.

Thanks, TP :)

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Disclaimer: I dislike Bryant and genuinely think he is significantly overrated.

But,

This does bring up some of the peculiarities of the NBA salary system. He is overpaid now, and "crippling" his team, sure, but he's been a max player for years, and those max salaries have really crippled his earning relative to his value.

If he retires after the 2015-16 season, I have him as earning 16.4 million dollars per year. And this is a guy who, after his rookie season, was an all-star in year 2 and 3rd team all-nba in year 3, and he was still 1st team all-nba in '12-'13 (season 17). So, if someone asked you: "Do you want an SG who will be on some sort of all-star or all-nba team for 16 seasons, but you have to pay him 16.4 million every year, but for 20 years," would you take that? I probably would. Shoot, if you had 3 of those guys that would be 3 all-nba guys for 48 million per year for 16 years (but paid for 20); you'd still have some capspace! It's not all his fault that he was vastly vastly underpaid at first and now overpaid; league rules prevented him from getting fair value early in his career.

To add on, I've reversed my initial knee-jerk view about this last contract ("this deal is insane") and think it's actually a good long-run move for the Lakers.

Their whole model involves attracting top-5 guys via trade or free agency, and they've been pretty successful at it. Showing that they take care of those guys, even when they're jerks at the end of their careers, might help them land another franchise guy 3 years from now.

In a weird way, it's possible that signing Bryant to a "bad deal" is good brand-building for the franchise.

You could even see some "wink wink" going on. As in, Lakers say "hey, we've got the money, we WANT to spend it on you, but we've got this stupid salary cap! So hey Durant, why don't you sign for a 5 year slightly below market contract, so we can also sign Anthony Davis and xxxx plus some role players, then, when you all are 33, we'll happily pay into the tax to take care of you all on the backside after we've won 4 more titles. See, we did it with Kobe!!"

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There's also the fact that players are already getting the short end of the stick in regards to the NBA's income, so the idea that you can/should demonize them for going after the largest deal they can is silly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He stayed too long, real question is what will he do after basketball?   He most liked have burned his Laker bridges and lacks the charisma to be a speaker on TV.

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
There's also the fact that players are already getting the short end of the stick in regards to the NBA's income, so the idea that you can/should demonize them for going after the largest deal they can is silly.

Ding ding ding, cap management isn't on the players.  If the Lakers were willing to offer Kobe that contract, it's not his job to consider how it might impact the team's ability to build a contender.  That's what the front office guys are paid to do.

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Mitch might as well resigned Kobe.  They weren't getting any other star any time soon.  They are no where near being contenders.  Nobody wanted to depend on Kobe or listen to his mouth.

So with a mega important TV contract that needs to please fans ...give them something to cheer for and watch ....Kobe was resigned...plus it made Jim Buss look good in the eyes of many hard Laker fans.....at least he blindly dumb ones not willing to accept the fact Kobe is old and their glory days are over.

All I read is crying and whining about how things would be diff , if CP3 was a Laker.  This really gets old .....I mean get over it already......Bunch of cry babies.

We have sunshine , no water, and Hollywood .....we don't have stars ...boo hoo ......