Author Topic: Laker Sources: Kobe Bryant killing our chances to be successful again  (Read 15688 times)

Re: Laker Sources: Kobe Bryant killing our chances to be successful again
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Well this is a great read!!!  ;D

I do think this has been clear to me.  I also don't think the Lakers have gotten enough heat over the collapse when Dwight came there as a whole group.  It's forgotten how that team was being penciled in for the title by many and then was a total disaster.  Got to be one of the biggest NBA failures ever.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Lakers have still made many, many millions more than they've ever paid Kobe from Kobe. No sympathy for their front office from me. This entire article makes me angry, actually.

It's just preemptive ass-covering.  "Yeah, we're going to suck - like, REALLY suck - this year, but it's all Kobe's fault because no one wants to play with him and we pretty much had to kill our cap space by re-signing him."

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So the Celtics and Lakers, the two most franchises in the league, both have players that according to reports sulky personalities are repelling free agents away.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Also, I find it hilarious that the article makes a few references to doing things the "Laker way," such as keeping disagreements and unhappiness in-house, unlike Kobe and Phil who had no issue going public with their grievances.  All the while, there are multiple unsourced quotes from Lakers sources throwing Kobe under the bus.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
they have BY FAR the easiest owner/GM jobs in all of sports.

That is interesting statement.  I would say the Lakers gig is the cushiest in the NBA, but I think the big market teams in the MLB (Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, etc) are far cushier.  Since MLB doesn't have a salary cap, those teams have such a bigger advantage over the bottom half of the league.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Duh, and you idiots gave him another 50 millions.  Should have just cut ties, better late than never, Nick Young gives you the same for 5 million.

The funniest part of that article is the justification of them crippling themselves so bad financially with "it doesn't even matter because no one will come here with Kobe here anyway."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm surprised they are not looking to move him, and he's not asking out. I know he wants to be the all time greatest Laker, but asking out for the sake of the franchise would only help his legacy. He has to realize they aren't sniffing the finals again with him. There must be 4-5 contenders that would pay to take on his contract. I bet even the Cavs would work their butts off to open up cap space to trade for him.

If they move him early enough, they can have a top 5 pick in the ucpoming draft for their poor record, and Nash expires this summer. They would have Randle and a lottery pick and cap space, plus whatever they get back from a Kobe trade. A great start to rebuilding.
I don't think he cares as much about sniffing the finals as he cares about having the freedom to take all the shots he wants, remaining the main man, and possibly catching Kareem.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So the Celtics and Lakers, the two most franchises in the league, both have players that according to reports sulky personalities are repelling free agents away.

How is Rondo repelling free agents away?

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

That is interesting statement.  I would say the Lakers gig is the cushiest in the NBA, but I think the big market teams in the MLB (Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, etc) are far cushier.  Since MLB doesn't have a salary cap, those teams have such a bigger advantage over the bottom half of the league.

Much easier in the NBA where there is a small number of super-elite players and where getting one of these players alll but assures championship contention.  Lakers will continue (post-Kobe) to get these players because they are the LA Lakers and they offer the glitz of LA plus the glamour of the Lakers franchise.   Imagine if all you had to do was clear cap space knowing that you'll eventually be able to lure the franchise player you need to contend.  Yankees and Red Sox can offer more money than competitors -- yet they compete with big money rivals and the prize is only one piece in a complex puzzle.  It's easier for sox/yanks than for other baseball teams, but still more challenging than for the Lakers who merely need to "do their homework" by picking out the best players and figuring out when they will become free agents (trade for them prior to FA or wait for them to become FA).

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, I mean, he may be a bit of a jerk, but Rondo passes a heck of a lot, and shoots very little.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yeah, I mean, he may be a bit of a jerk, but Rondo passes a heck of a lot, and shoots very little.
And many players have said that they would like to play with him.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

And many players have said that they would like to play with him.
including Kobe

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Much easier in the NBA where there is a small number of super-elite players and where getting one of these players alll but assures championship contention.  Lakers will continue (post-Kobe) to get these players because they are the LA Lakers and they offer the glitz of LA plus the glamour of the Lakers franchise.   Imagine if all you had to do was clear cap space knowing that you'll eventually be able to lure the franchise player you need to contend.  Yankees and Red Sox can offer more money than competitors -- yet they compete with big money rivals and the prize is only one piece in a complex puzzle.  It's easier for sox/yanks than for other baseball teams, but still more challenging than for the Lakers who merely need to "do their homework" by picking out the best players and figuring out when they will become free agents (trade for them prior to FA or wait for them to become FA).

This is true.  Just by the nature of the game you have a much better chance of winning in the nba as opposed to the mlb.  No team in modern baseball has won 75% of it's regular season games, while there is usually 2-3 teams that do this every NBA season.  Funny how sports differ like that.

I will mention that LAL has never brought in a top shelf free agent since the 99 lockout and the advent of max salaries.  That said, as long as Jim doesn't completely much things up I'm sure they should have no problem drawing big ticket players in the future.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

This was a Q & A with Jeff Goodman on the main page here a few months back:

2. You've indicated in the past that you hear things from people around the league that have shaped your opinion of him. Are there any specific stories or are these more general impressions and opinions?

I talk to a good amount of players in the NBA - and have known a ton of them since they were in high school, when I first began covering them. They tell me things off the record. Many of them trust me because I have watched them in AAU, in college and now in the NBA. Many are not enamored with Rondo. Sure, there are some who clearly like him (i.e. Kendrick Perkins) and others who say positive things about him (K.G. Pierce, etc.). I'm not counting DeMarcus Cousins, because it's actually worse for Rondo that Sacramento's big man came out and said he thinks he's the best point guard in the league. Cousins is a complete knucklehead and just about everyone in the league knows it. Many of the opinions I have heard come from players throughout the league who either do not have much of a relationship with Rondo - or have heard negative things about him through other players. The problem is word gets around, and his reputation isn't exactly stellar with his peers. The landscape of the league has changed - as was evident when LeBron partnered up with D-Wade and Chris Bosh. These guys talk to one another, hang out together and text constantly. Rondo does not have that relationship with many players in the league - and that hurts him. One instance I will give you is that when he tried out for the Olympic team a few years back, he didn't exactly make a positive impression and the staff basically sent him home. There are, of course, differing accounts of what happened - but my sources told me that the coaches wanted him gone.

He also had this to say on WEEI:

"He's a loner, he challenges authority, he's kind of a downer, he's not a positive guy. Every time you walked into the locker room it looked like players didn't want to be around with him or converse with him"

"The only person he's been able to establish a good relationship with was Kendrick Perkins. That was it."

"People want to play with Chris Paul, they don't want to play with Rajon Rondo"

There are also things such as:

Hearing Howard isn't thrilled by prospects of RR joining HR. Not that he's opposed but not crazy about it. Different attitudes & approaches
— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) February 20, 2014

When asked if he would do much socializing on the all-star game Rondo said:

"Why would I?" asked Rondo.

"No, I don’t do much socializing," he said. "If I make it, I hope one of my homeboys makes it, [Atlanta's] Josh Smith. If he makes it, KG makes it, we’ll all [hang out]."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:09:11 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Goodman is a mjaor Rondo hater

Players who have hinted they would like to play with Rondo

Kobe Bryant
Melo
Kevin Love