Author Topic: Trade Thornton and Bynum to Raptors? Save $1.3 mil  (Read 2454 times)

Trade Thornton and Bynum to Raptors? Save $1.3 mil
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Bynum and Thornton could actually help Toronto and their playoff push.

Landry Fields is an afterthought for them and may get waived.

Fields and Chuck Hayes make $1.3 less than Fav, Bynum, and Thornton.

This 3 for 2 trade saves us money, moves Bynum and Thornton so younger guys get more minutes, and solves the problem of having 16 players on the roster.

If a good player that we could use came available, Fields could be waived.

Re: Trade Thornton and Bynum to Raptors? Save $1.3 mil
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
TP, nice work. Could we at least get a 2nd, though?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not sure if Toronto needs Bynum. Don't they have Greivis Vasquez backing up Kyle Lowry?

I wonder if Portland could use Bynum to spell Damian Lillard.

Edit: Forgot: Blazers signed Steve Blake this offseason. They are set for PG.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not a fan of this idea, but it won't work anyway.  Bynum's salary can't be aggregated with another player's for the purpose of matching salary for 60 days from when he was acquired.  Since neither Fields nor Hayes salary can be used to singly match Bynum's, the deal isn't allowable.  If the Raptors have a trade exception large enough for Bynum that I'm unaware of, the deal would work.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I guess I'd rearrange the chairs but honestly this move doesn't move the needle at all. We clear up a roster spot which is nice and save $1.3M so I'd do it but I don't think Toronto would. The guys we're sending aren't any better than the guys they have. Additionally it eats up one of their roster spots and they spend $1.3M extra on the end of the bench this season.

So yeah, I'd do it :) Ujiri wouldn't though.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it might make them a little better but maybe not 1.3 million better

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
To me, Thornton is WAY better than Fields.  They are talking about cutting Fields anyway.

Toronto doesnt have a true SG right now. Ross is a Sf and Louis Williams is tiny. If they acquired Thornton, they would be able to play Ross some at Sf. Their current backup SF, is also a tweener -  James Johnson can play both forward spots.

Let Powell start the season in the D-league.  On Dec 16th, make the trade. Then sign Powell to be the 15th man.  You will be 22 games into the schedule. Maybe by then Rondo will be back in full swing. Maybe Thornton will have played well enough that we could get more for him. 

Its just a thought. If Powell gets cut and someone else signs him, its not the end of the world.  Maybe use Bynum and Thornton for the first 1/4 of the season, especially that first week or two as Rondo comes back.  After that - with Rondo, Smart, Bradley, Turner around - there will be no need for them.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not a fan of this idea, but it won't work anyway.  Bynum's salary can't be aggregated with another player's for the purpose of matching salary for 60 days from when he was acquired.  Since neither Fields nor Hayes salary can be used to singly match Bynum's, the deal isn't allowable.  If the Raptors have a trade exception large enough for Bynum that I'm unaware of, the deal would work.

Seems to have been overlooked by most here.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Buzzkill.   ;)
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If Thornton looks good in the beginning of the season, they may be able to get more than a savings of 1.3 mil for him. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.