Author Topic: Sullinger a future all star?  (Read 9903 times)

Re: Sullinger a future all star?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think some people underestimate Sullinger because they either didn't know about or didn't give much thought to his hand injury last year. He played with an injured hand for the second half of the season and it showed, particularly in his shooting. His shooting numbers will go up this year if he stays healthy. Also, considering his lack of athleticism, his great hands along with his basketball IQ are his biggest assets (yeah, OK, so is his rear end)

;D

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Sully projects to being a guy who should be at the level of Horace Grant or A.C . Green -- each made 1 all-star team.   They each had flaws in their games but had very productive and long careers and contributed to winners.   And Sully has some extra offensive potential.

Sully is only 22(!) and has a lot to learn.  Add veteran NBA savvy to a growing skill-set and he'll be a very valuable player for a long time.  If he can be a legit 15/9 guy at 22 -- that's pretty dang good.
I like the comparison with Horace Grant, but Sully is unlikely to be surrounded with the quality team-mates that Grant and AC Green had. I hope expectation doesn't outweigh talent in this case.

AC Green never should have made the all star game in 1990.  Come on, now.  The comparison to either guy doesn't hold water, anyway, imo, because Grant was so fast, quick, and an excellent defender, who was a definite key to Chicago's 1-2-1-1 trap, so let's not kid ourselves on this one, because Sully is too slow to ever play such a role.  He does have considerably more skill than Grant, though, and Green for that matter, because neither of those guys were good post up players, nor were they even remotely close to being the passer that Sullinger is.

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Agree with everyone else who says his ceiling is probably poor mans Millisap or something. Doubtful he ever makes an all star team

Poor man's Millsap is about where he's at right now. At 22 years old. With lots of bad teammates.
Where he's at right now is an oft-injured, overweight, unathletic, power forward coming off a season where he averaged 13 points, 8 rebounds and a dismal 43% shooting on a bottom 5 team.  That's not poor man's Millisap.  But yeah, he might get there some day.

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I called it first!

I think he's got the potential if everything goes well- he's an incredible rebounder on the offensive end. He was 7th in the NBA in offensive rebounds last season- pretty good playing out of position with a recovering back.

The three point shot and his back to basket game are two of the most crucial factors to his All Star status.

Another thing working against him is that PF is probably the most star-laden position in the NBA.
To think that Zac Randolph has only been an All Star two times says it for me. The NBA is stacked at power forward and point guard.

You could have stopped at, "he's an incredible rebounder," haha ;D.  If he continues to improve his post moves, why couldn't he be like Kevin Love in Boozer's body?  I'm not trying to overvalue Sullinger, but he does model his game after Love, and there are definite similarities between the two.  Ask yourself this - is there anyone else in the league who rebounds like Kevin Love and Sullinger do?  I honestly don't think so.  Sure, Sully isn't as consistent as Love in the rebounding department (yet, hopefully), but if he does develop that kind of consistency I could see him being a poor man's Kevin Love, and who wouldn't want that?  What I don't want, however, is a player who's been charged with domestic violence, so I'm kind of torn, at best, about Sullinger, because I definitely like his talent, but I can't look past that incident with his girlfriend, so, sorry, but I just don't like the guy.

Edit - when given the playing time, Reggie Evans can put up awesome numbers, and Varejao was a great rebounder a few years ago before his injuries, but, still, that isn't too many guys, especially players without the athletic gifts of guys like Howard and Jordan.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:44:16 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Agree with everyone else who says his ceiling is probably poor mans Millisap or something. Doubtful he ever makes an all star team

Poor man's Millsap is about where he's at right now. At 22 years old. With lots of bad teammates.
Where he's at right now is an oft-injured, overweight, unathletic, power forward coming off a season where he averaged 13 points, 8 rebounds and a dismal 43% shooting on a bottom 5 team.  That's not poor man's Millisap.  But yeah, he might get there some day.

Where he's at is a player who improved his scoring and rebounding, in under 30 minutes and is look poised to make a leap. He's shown potential of becoming an All Star last year. If you don't see that, then I don't what to say to you.

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As for the Millsap comparison, Millsap is actually very very underrated because he has played in two smaller markets in Atlanta and  Utah that were around .500 and also came from a small college.
Millsap has a player that is nice to have, but his presence or absence is not going to make or break your team. Based on this, he's rated pretty accurately around the league.

I am not sure what you are really saying with this comment. Aside from Durant, Lebron, and a few other all-NBA players no 1 guy is going to make or break any team. On team with out a lot of other scoring options he got 18 points and shot 36% from 3 and 46% overall. Teams will be very excited to sign him, and have read from people like Zach Lowe, who seems to really know his stuff, that his last contract was an amazing steal for the Hawks and he was undervalued by the league.
Atlanta, a team with "many other scoring options"?! Hilarious. They only got 29 games out of Horford last season, and the only other player that scored more than 15 ppg was Jeff Teague.

Yeah, Millsap scored 18 ppg on that roster last year. And they were 38-44 when all was said and done. Which should give you plenty of food for thought about how important guys like Sullinger and Millsap actually are when you're building a franchise.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I called it first!

I think he's got the potential if everything goes well- he's an incredible rebounder on the offensive end. He was 7th in the NBA in offensive rebounds last season- pretty good playing out of position with a recovering back.

The three point shot and his back to basket game are two of the most crucial factors to his All Star status.

Another thing working against him is that PF is probably the most star-laden position in the NBA.
To think that Zac Randolph has only been an All Star two times says it for me. The NBA is stacked at power forward and point guard.

You could have stopped at, "he's an incredible rebounder," haha ;D.  If he continues to improve his post moves, why couldn't he be like Kevin Love in Boozer's body?  I'm not trying to overvalue Sullinger, but he does model his game after Love, and there are definite similarities between the two.  Ask yourself this - is there anyone else in the league who rebounds like Kevin Love and Sullinger do?  I honestly don't think so.  Sure, Sully isn't as consistent as Love in the rebounding department (yet, hopefully), but if he does develop that kind of consistency I could see him being a poor man's Kevin Love, and who wouldn't want that?  What I don't want, however, is a player who's been charged with domestic violence, so I'm kind of torn, at best, about Sullinger, because I definitely like his talent, but I can't look past that incident with his girlfriend, so, sorry, but I just don't like the guy.

Edit - when given the playing time, Reggie Evans can put up awesome numbers, and Varejao was a great rebounder a few years ago before his injuries, but, still, that isn't too many guys, especially players without the athletic gifts of guys like Howard and Jordan.

This is kind of like those statements that start off with "I'm not an ____, but"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
As for the Millsap comparison, Millsap is actually very very underrated because he has played in two smaller markets in Atlanta and  Utah that were around .500 and also came from a small college.
Millsap has a player that is nice to have, but his presence or absence is not going to make or break your team. Based on this, he's rated pretty accurately around the league.

I am not sure what you are really saying with this comment. Aside from Durant, Lebron, and a few other all-NBA players no 1 guy is going to make or break any team. On team with out a lot of other scoring options he got 18 points and shot 36% from 3 and 46% overall. Teams will be very excited to sign him, and have read from people like Zach Lowe, who seems to really know his stuff, that his last contract was an amazing steal for the Hawks and he was undervalued by the league.
Atlanta, a team with "many other scoring options"?! Hilarious. They only got 29 games out of Horford last season, and the only other player that scored more than 15 ppg was Jeff Teague.

Yeah, Millsap scored 18 ppg on that roster last year. And they were 38-44 when all was said and done. Which should give you plenty of food for thought about how important guys like Sullinger and Millsap actually are when you're building a franchise.

He said they didn't have a lot of scoring options.

Without Millsap, the Hawks would have been significantly worse. Teague, Korver, Carroll, and that Pero Antic guy wouldn't have won 30 games.

What we can all agree on though is that his last name definitely has 2 'L's in it.

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
You could have stopped at, "he's an incredible rebounder," haha ;D.  If he continues to improve his post moves, why couldn't he be like Kevin Love in Boozer's body?

After love, the two names I see most in comparison to Sullinger are Boozer and Randolph. The implication is that because Boozer and Randolph have below-average NBA athleticism, they are comparable to Sullinger.

That is a completely false premise!!

Boozer and Randolph are both far more athletic than Sullinger, and in the early part of their respective careers they were both quite quick. Boozer was an above-the-rim pick and roll finisher.

Sullinger is, at present, basically a longer-armed and less muscled Glen Davis (physically, I mean). He has a long way to go before he can jump as high or play as quick as either of the guys he usually gets compared to.

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
You could have stopped at, "he's an incredible rebounder," haha ;D.  If he continues to improve his post moves, why couldn't he be like Kevin Love in Boozer's body?

After love, the two names I see most in comparison to Sullinger are Boozer and Randolph. The implication is that because Boozer and Randolph have below-average NBA athleticism, they are comparable to Sullinger.

Boozer and Randolph are both far more athletic than Sullinger, and in the early part of their respective careers they were both quite quick. Boozer was an above-the-rim pick and roll finisher.

Sullinger is, at present, basically a longer-armed and less muscled Glen Davis (physically, I mean). He has a long way to go before he can jump as high or play as quick as either of the guys he usually gets compared to.

I really don't think they're that more athletic than Sullinger. They both play physical games.

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

He said they didn't have a lot of scoring options.

Without Millsap, the Hawks would have been significantly worse. Teague, Korver, Carroll, and that Pero Antic guy wouldn't have won 30 games.

What we can all agree on though is that his last name definitely has 2 'L's in it.

NERF thanks for backing up and noticing him intentionally taking my comments out of context. I also agree that them winning 38 games is actually pretty impressive for Millsap, because with only teague, antic, korver, carroll and scott that team wins 25 games tops. So if he personally is responsible for winning 8 games any team would want him.

Either way, at this point through your comments and misquoting me it is unclear if you are just intentionally arguing for the sake of arguing or trying to troll me.

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I called it first!

This is kind of like those statements that start off with "I'm not an ____, but"

Yeah, I knew that it would come off that way ;D.  Sorry about that.

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

You're probably right about Boozer and Randolph, but Sullinger is in no way any version of Glen Davis.  The only characteristic they share is their weight, unfortunately.  Sullinger is such a better passer, rebounder, 3-point shooter, and post player than Davis ever was.  Actually, hold on, they also share in their ability to get into off-court incidents.  Lovely (sarcasm).

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd argue that point guard is the most star-laden position in the league, but PF isn't too far off.

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

What the heck do you consider a poor man?  Millsap plays almost 34 minutes per game

Per 36:

Millsap:  19.3 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 46% shooting, 14.6%TRB, 13.7%TRB last year

Sullinger:  17.3 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 43% shooting, 16.7%TRB, 17.5%TRB last year

What makes you say his ceiling is a poor man's Millsap, aside from your usual philosophy regarding the Celtics?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale