Author Topic: Sullinger a future all star?  (Read 9912 times)

Re: Sullinger a future all star?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Averaging 15 and 10 in preseason so far is pretty good.
15 and 10 in preseason is a sure indicator he'll go off for 20 and 11 when the real thing rolls around, right? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think Sully projects to being a guy who should be at the level of Horace Grant or A.C . Green -- each made 1 all-star team.   They each had flaws in their games but had very productive and long careers and contributed to winners.   And Sully has some extra offensive potential.

Sully is only 22(!) and has a lot to learn.  Add veteran NBA savvy to a growing skill-set and he'll be a very valuable player for a long time.  If he can be a legit 15/9 guy at 22 -- that's pretty dang good.

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Agree with everyone else who says his ceiling is probably poor mans Millisap or something. Doubtful he ever makes an all star team

Poor man's Millsap is about where he's at right now. At 22 years old. With lots of bad teammates.

Yeah, a poor man's Millsap is probably his floor unless he can't stay healthy.

Sullinger is actually kind of looking like a potential all-star.

As for the Millsap comparison, Millsap is actually very very underrated because he has played in two smaller markets in Atlanta and  Utah that were around .500 and also came from a small college. That being said, his play in Atlanta has definitely surprised people and his numbers of 18 and 8.5 last year made people take notice. If Millsap lands on a different team after his contract runs out this year, he could make the all star team 2 or 3 more times (at least in the East). While the "poor man" comment is generally mentioned as underhanded, if he is slightly worse than millsap, he would probably make an all-star team himself.

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Averaging 15 and 10 in preseason so far is pretty good.
15 and 10 in preseason is a sure indicator he'll go off for 20 and 11 when the real thing rolls around, right? :P

He went off for 20ish and 10ish a lot last year.. he's on his way. He got 15 and 10 so far with less then 30mpg

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As for the Millsap comparison, Millsap is actually very very underrated because he has played in two smaller markets in Atlanta and  Utah that were around .500 and also came from a small college.
Millsap has a player that is nice to have, but his presence or absence is not going to make or break your team. Based on this, he's rated pretty accurately around the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
numbers will put him in the running.  He's going to be known in fantasy ball circles if he can rebound and hit 3s, and average 15 at least per game.

And that will put him in the allstar conversation, but my gut suggests he might be a one-time allstar, a borderline star/good player, like GWallace was, David West, Ainge himself, etc.

But with 30 teams, and some teams having multiple allstars, there will be quite a few players that are are not there every year.

I mean, Paul Pierce was voted in by the coaches every year, and Sully won't make THAT level. 

Not a perennial allstar by any stretch, but could have a few really good years in his peak if he stays healthy and will likely be a productive player for a long time, and could make a game or two.

Very, very far from a sure thing, though.

Which means trading him for an established allstar is a no brainer, right?

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
In the regular season, Sullinger encounters mismatch problems and still survives...good sign.
Stevens has devised a plan that exploits Sully's talent and this will help him.

Sully has no hops....he just doesn't and it IS part of the NBA game. Ask Big Baby, he was "big" but, he could elevate.

As above, the kid has enough stuff to get him into the conversation...one of these seasons...great nose for the ball at both ends. Third best player on a title team? I don't know about that...do you?

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
numbers will put him in the running.  He's going to be known in fantasy ball circles if he can rebound and hit 3s, and average 15 at least per game.

And that will put him in the allstar conversation, but my gut suggests he might be a one-time allstar, a borderline star/good player, like GWallace was, David West, Ainge himself, etc.

But with 30 teams, and some teams having multiple allstars, there will be quite a few players that are are not there every year.

I mean, Paul Pierce was voted in by the coaches every year, and Sully won't make THAT level. 

Not a perennial allstar by any stretch, but could have a few really good years in his peak if he stays healthy and will likely be a productive player for a long time, and could make a game or two.

Very, very far from a sure thing, though.

Which means trading him for an established allstar is a no brainer, right?

If Sullinger is an All star than keep him. If I were to trade him though, it would for a super star or a top ten pick. That's if he makes an All star team of course.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think some people underestimate Sullinger because they either didn't know about or didn't give much thought to his hand injury last year. He played with an injured hand for the second half of the season and it showed, particularly in his shooting. His shooting numbers will go up this year if he stays healthy. Also, considering his lack of athleticism, his great hands along with his basketball IQ are his biggest assets (yeah, OK, so is his rear end)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:28:43 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I called it first!

I think he's got the potential if everything goes well- he's an incredible rebounder on the offensive end. He was 7th in the NBA in offensive rebounds last season- pretty good playing out of position with a recovering back.

The three point shot and his back to basket game are two of the most crucial factors to his All Star status.

Another thing working against him is that PF is probably the most star-laden position in the NBA.
To think that Zac Randolph has only been an All Star two times says it for me. The NBA is stacked at power forward and point guard.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If he can stay healthy , with some luck. ...I think he can make it eventually. .."he must stay consistent and Celtics need to do,well as a team record to get him the attention he needs.

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think Sully projects to being a guy who should be at the level of Horace Grant or A.C . Green -- each made 1 all-star team.   They each had flaws in their games but had very productive and long careers and contributed to winners.   And Sully has some extra offensive potential.

Sully is only 22(!) and has a lot to learn.  Add veteran NBA savvy to a growing skill-set and he'll be a very valuable player for a long time.  If he can be a legit 15/9 guy at 22 -- that's pretty dang good.

I like the comparison with Horace Grant, but Sully is unlikely to be surrounded with the quality team-mates that Grant and AC Green had. I hope expectation doesn't outweigh talent in this case.

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
As for the Millsap comparison, Millsap is actually very very underrated because he has played in two smaller markets in Atlanta and  Utah that were around .500 and also came from a small college.
Millsap has a player that is nice to have, but his presence or absence is not going to make or break your team. Based on this, he's rated pretty accurately around the league.

I am not sure what you are really saying with this comment. Aside from Durant, Lebron, and a few other all-NBA players no 1 guy is going to make or break any team. On team with out a lot of other scoring options he got 18 points and shot 36% from 3 and 46% overall. Teams will be very excited to sign him, and have read from people like Zach Lowe, who seems to really know his stuff, that his last contract was an amazing steal for the Hawks and he was undervalued by the league.

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I believe reports that Ainge was targeting Millsap last summer because he properly valued Millsap.  I think that if he believed he could have worked out a deal for Millsap, then the Pierce/Garnett trade would not have happened.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
tough crowd.  Good to see the pro-Sully gang come through on page 3....