Author Topic: Sullinger a future all star?  (Read 9909 times)

Re: Sullinger a future all star?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If he can average a 20/11, I do not see why he isn't even mentioned in contention for all-star PF
Yeah, and if he can average 30/11, he'd be Karl Malone.  ::)

Let's not lose sight of the big picture here -- as of right now, he needs to prove that he can handle himself against starting caliber talent, and that he can stay on the court long enough in games. Both of these have been real question marks last season.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Agree with everyone else who says his ceiling is probably poor mans Millisap or something. Doubtful he ever makes an all star team

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm really surprised, that people on this site have serous doubts on Jared Sullinger. He had plenty of good games against starting caliber talent and it seems he's poised to have a big year. Where's the optimism?

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I think Sully can be a fringe All-Star. Maybe the guy that gets in the mix and maybe makes it once or twice. I don't see him becoming a perennial All-Star unless he starts doing a real life copy of Kevin Love's 3 point, passing and rebounding game. He's never going to get there with his defense. Needs to get there with his scoring and rebounding prowess.

Seems as if Kevin love takes defensive advice from James Harden and hes done quite well becoming an allstar.

Want to know whats stopping Sullinger from beign an allstar? CONDITIONING!

I went to the Nets game yesterday. Sullinger got a strong skillset but you can clearly tell he is not in shape for the moves he's trying to do. His weight just gets him over the edge at times.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:10:48 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm really surprised, that people on this site have serous doubts on Jared Sullinger. He had plenty of good games against starting caliber talent and it seems he's poised to have a big year. Where's the optimism?

I'm right there with you.  He clearly looks more polished offensively and we have seen the rebounding and paint game are legit.

I keep seeing knocks like "Can he play against length?" and wondering where they were when Sullinger was playing all the NBA's centers last year and holding his own.  Is he at a disadvantage?  Yes.  But he is still effective there and has a strength advantage on most of these PFs if he gets to his real position.

I'm not sure what there is to doubt.  Like all young players consistency is the area he should (and probably will) improve in the most. 

The All Star question to me doesn't matter.  There are really good players that don't make All Star games or only make one or two.   Especially players that are not so flashy.  I expect a lot from Sullinger.

I am very optimistic about Sullinger and Olynyk and find their potential underrated even by the fans here.  I'm not saying they both make a whole bunch of All Star games but they both can be very good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:16:15 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Very pleased with his continued improvement. Length and defense being the biggest problems, but too often looking at a player's negatives as opposed to what he can do well obscures their potential. Sullinger does a lot of things at a very high level for a big. I can see him surpassing guys like West, Milsap and Horford, but being a perennial All-Star puts you in the top 25 players in the NBA and I don't see that. That's a very, very high standard, but getting a guy that can among the three guys I just mentioned is pretty [dang] good.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
regular season will provide a better indication but I'm liking the improvement shown in the preseason. 

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Sad to say, but if he keeps up the 50%+ from behind the three point line he will be.  Not because of his outside shooting, but because the refs will start treating him better and with all the boards he picks up inside he is going to get a bunch of free throws.  If he gets calls, then people will lay off him a little and he can finish inside easier.  Of course that all is dependent on him hitting free throws which I think he will.  He has good form and a nice touch, I'd better he shoots 75% or more for the season.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Agree with everyone else who says his ceiling is probably poor mans Millisap or something. Doubtful he ever makes an all star team

Poor man's Millsap is about where he's at right now. At 22 years old. With lots of bad teammates.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He needs to get in better shape, and be more consistent, preseason doesn't mean jack.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Just finished watching first half of last night's game v. Nets on tape delay.  Sullinger is looking very sharp. He is a beast on both boards, and is very confident in his 3 point shot.  Would not surprise me to see him make the all star team in the next 2-3 years. A keeper for sure.

I really am starting to like the make up of this team.  I think the only thing we lack is a defensive center.   Heck, even Perk would probably help just to cover bigs in the paint.

This team really seems to be buying into whatever it is that Stevens is selling. 

Will be interesting to see if we continue to move the ball around like this when Rondo comes back.
I agree with what you write above, but I do not really like the question.
If we move in the direction of a young team that will be more than the sum of its parts, playing read and react offense with lots of 3's, then Sully will be a very valuable piece of machinery in such a team. Whether he ever gets chosen to be an All-Star is irrelevant.
Same way that no one cares that Boris Diaw never made it to an All Star team. He made it to a championship winning team  ;D

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Who is the least athletic player to make the all-star game in the last 20 years?

David Lee?
Tom Gugliota? Toine? (Probably not when he made it). Szerbiak? Z Bo?

Basically 18 and 9 or 20 and 8 get you into the game at the end of the bench. I think he has a decent shot at that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:50:39 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
His upside I would consider more like that of an Al Jefferson or Zach Randolph type player. That would be best case scenario; but with his back issues and conditioning no guarantee he will get there.

When is the last time anyone mentioned an issue with Sully's back???  if it's a non-issue, leave it alone!!!

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Averaging 15 and 10 in preseason so far is pretty good.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Poor man's Millsap is about where he's at right now. At 22 years old. With lots of bad teammates.

Yeah, a poor man's Millsap is probably his floor unless he can't stay healthy.